-

Photo

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Post #801)

Warner

• Please log in to reply
1480 replies to this topic

#1301 of 1481 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,413 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 09:54 AM

Yeah I agree on Little Tough Guys probably never coming out. It is the least know of all the series so that would make it even less a priority. I don't think the series has ever been released on TV. I've never seen any of them except for a bad VHS of Little Tough Guy.

I think the 3 serials are considered part of the Little Tough Guys series as they were made by Universal at the same time the series was running. Which also explains Leo Gorcey's absence as he was heading the East Side Kids series at Monogram and Billy Hallop was heading the Little Tough Guys series at Universal with Huntz Hall crossing over both series.

Worth Noting:

Nearly all of the Dead End Kids Features have had proper DVD Releases, with the inaugural DEAD END having been issued by MGM, and the rest by Warner, except for THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL (I don't count LITTLE TOUGH GUY (1938), as Leo Gorcey isn't in this, and thus could be counted as a defacto Little Tough Guys inaugural entry!) which is apparently a Public Domain Title, at least judging by the number of Studios that have issued this.  The three later Dead End Kids Serials, JUNIOR G-MEN (1940), SEA RAIDERS (Though minus Leo Gorcey, I question the Dead End Kids Moniker.  More of a defacto Little Tough Guys, in my opinion!) and JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR (1942), were released to DVD by a less than stellar name (Alpha). All of these can be currently found on Amazon at reasonably obtainable prices.  In my opinion, the one series that has very little chance of ever seeing proper issue is Little Tough Guys, as I don't see this one having any kind of priority with Universal, who I presume holds the Release rights to those films. 

CHEERS!

Tony

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1302 of 1481 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,468 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 11:06 AM

Excellent idea Bob. I figured it was worth a shot to ask them about it on their Facebook Page. Here is what I wrote, I hope you don't mind me using your name.

For the upcoming Bowery Boys Volume 4, Is there any chance that you would consider releasing the film "Private Eyes" again as a bonus in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1? I know many fans of the series would really appreciate it. I know you originally tried it at 1.85:1 like the other widescreen films and it was too tight but it has been recently confirmed by Bob Furmanek's research that this first widescreen film in the series was 1.66:1 as Allied Artist were still trying to decide on what ratio to adapt in 1953. This has been confirmed by theater trade sheets. Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to the next volume.

That's okay with me, Randy.

Please let me know if you get a reply. Thank you!

• Randy Korstick likes this

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#1303 of 1481 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 01:20 PM

There were a number of other Warner Bros. movies with the Dead End Kids, e.g. ANGELS WASH THEIR FACES, CRIME SCHOOL, HELL'S KITCHEN and one I've never seen called, ON DRESS PARADE. Have they ever been released on home video? Or in a box set with, say, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES?

• Tony Bensley likes this

#1304 of 1481 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,413 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 01:45 PM

Actually all of those have been released by Warner Archive and are on my list of films to get. Unfortunately not as a set.

Angel's Wash Their Faces and Crime School are released as individual titles and Hell's Kitchen/On Dress Parade as a double feature.

There were a number of other Warner Bros. movies with the Dead End Kids, e.g. ANGELS WASH THEIR FACES, CRIME SCHOOL, HELL'S KITCHEN and one I've never seen called, ON DRESS PARADE. Have they ever been released on home video? Or in a box set with, say, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES?

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#1305 of 1481 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 346 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted July 30 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi Vic!

Warner has issued all of the above titles to DVD.  As I mentioned in my previous post, all Leo Gorcey helmed Dead End Kids Features, save THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL (Which unfortunately appears to have been relegated to Public Domainville!) have had a proper DVD Release! If I ever decide to purchase this title, I'll most likely take a chance with the Roan DVD, as I've heard they did a decent job with the 1952 Kirk Douglas Technicolor Feature, THE BIG TREES.

The inaugural DEAD END is available as an MGM issued DVD.

CHEERS!

Tony

#1306 of 1481 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 30 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi Vic!

Warner has issued all of the above titles to DVD. As I mentioned in my previous post, all Leo Gorcey helmed Dead End Kids Features, save THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL (Which unfortunately appears to have been relegated to Public Domainville!) have had a proper DVD Release! If I ever decide to purchase this title, I'll most likely take a chance with the Roan DVD, as I've heard they did a decent job with the 1952 Kirk Douglas Technicolor Feature, THE BIG TREES.

The inaugural DEAD END is available as an MGM issued DVD.

CHEERS!

Tony

It would be nice if WAC added THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL to the last volume of the Bowery Boys As an extra. Not quite the Bowery Boys but nether the less it would be a good addition.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#1307 of 1481 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:36 AM

10 months and counting since THE BOWERY BOYS, VOL. 3 was issued..................

Still waiting for Volume 4.

SIGH!  :mellow:

#1308 of 1481 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,413 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'm right there with you. Soon.... its gotta be soon...today? No...Next Week? Probably not but soon...

10 months and counting since THE BOWERY BOYS, VOL. 3 was issued..................

Still waiting for Volume 4.

SIGH!  :mellow:

Top 20 Films

#1309 of 1481 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'm right there with you. Soon.... its gotta be soon...today? No...Next Week? Probably not but soon...

Hi Randy!

My frustration is more financially based than anything else.  This and one other item (Randy Skretvedt's LAUREL & HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES THIRD EDITION.) are my two most anticipated releases that I'm trying to set aside funds for, neither of which have a set release date at the moment!  I just don't want to find myself unable to buy either or, especially if my worst fears of them both being issued at the same time end up being realized!

CHEERS!

Tony

#1310 of 1481 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hoping they both get released soon Tony but hang in there as I think WB is still making sure they produce the best set possible with the Bowery Boys V4 collection, before they announce a release date.

#1311 of 1481 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hoping they both get released soon Tony but hang in there as I think WB is still making sure they produce the best set possible with the Bowery Boys V4 collection, before they announce a release date.

Hi rmw650!

It's my understanding there are two Bowery Boys titles that have caused Warner considerable headache, and I do know the wait will be ultimately worth it.  From my end, I'm considering going the Movies Unlimited Gift Certificate route, as they appear to have a very flexible set up with that!  This way, I won't be able to use those funds for anything else and will be there for me to use when the set finally does get issued!

As for the Randy Skretvedt book, I fear that may take somewhat longer than I anticipated, so it may be better for me to aim for the final Bowery Boys Volume first, since the run of pressed discs is a limited one, and I definitely don't want to miss out on that!

CHEERS!

Tony

#1312 of 1481 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 482 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hi rmw650!

It's my understanding there are two Bowery Boys titles that have caused Warner considerable headache, and I do know the wait will be ultimately worth it.  From my end, I'm considering going the Movies Unlimited Gift Certificate route, as they appear to have a very flexible set up with that!  This way, I won't be able to use those funds for anything else and will be there for me to use when the set finally does get issued!

As for the Randy Skretvedt book, I fear that may take somewhat longer than I anticipated, so it may be better for me to aim for the final Bowery Boys Volume first, since the run of pressed discs is a limited one, and I definitely don't want to miss out on that!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony,

Any idea when the Skreveldt book will be released? Is it scheduled for this year. I have an original hardcover copy from a long time ago (  late 1980s?). I will definitely get this updated version, but I'm wondering how much he can add since most of the participants have been dead quite a while .

#1313 of 1481 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,413 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 06:21 AM

I have the 80's hard cover book as well. It is a great book.

Tony,

Any idea when the Skreveldt book will be released? Is it scheduled for this year. I have an original hardcover copy from a long time ago (  late 1980s?). I will definitely get this updated version, but I'm wondering how much he can add since most of the participants have been dead quite a while .

Top 20 Films

#1314 of 1481 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 482 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 06 2014 - 01:30 PM

I have the 80's hard cover book as well. It is a great book.

One of my favorites on L&H, my  (sentimental) favorites being the 2 John McCabe books .

#1315 of 1481 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,413 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 02:10 PM

I had to double check its actually the John McCabe book I have. The Films of the Bowery Boys by Brent Walker is another essential book.

One of my favorites on L&H, my  (sentimental) favorites being the 2 John McCabe books .

Top 20 Films

#1316 of 1481 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 957 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hi rmw650!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony, go with the movies first before getting the book as you never know when WA releases this last set of their films. Did you also manage to get that Steel Guitar movie too?

#1317 of 1481 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 07 2014 - 05:02 AM

POPULAR

Tony,

Not to derail the subject away from the Bowery Boys, but I just spoke with Randy Skretvedt this morning and he assures me that the book will be nearly three times larger than the first edition, closer in size to Brent Walker's book on the Sennett films.  There will be a few more interviews, but much more credit information and backstory about the cast and crew.

Also, with nearly all the films now readily available from better source material, some of the films, particularly the Fox films, have been reassessed.  For example, contrary to what's been written in the past in earlier books and in letters by Stan himself to John McCabe and others, THE BIG NOISE, the fifth of their six Fox films, is not the worst film L&H ever made.  Watching them in chronological order shows that creative conditions actually improved as the years went on and the 20th Century-Fox films actually tended to get progressively better over time.

Randy's writing the final chapter as we speak.

Now, back to The Bowery Boys.  I'm looking forward to completing my collection on DVD.  I had seen very few of their films until TCM started running them a few years back and am now becoming a fan.  Bring on Volume 4!

• Randy Korstick, Steve...O, Professor Echo and 2 others like this

#1318 of 1481 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 05:45 PM

Tony,

Tonight, Randy Skretvedt very kindly sent me a Facebook message, in which he stated in part; "We're aiming for a December release of the L&H book, so go ahead and save your money for the Bowery Boys Volume Four, so you can get pressed discs!"

There!  With Randy's "magnaminously" kind assistance, I've managed to both provide an answer regarding his upcoming LAUREL & HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES THIRD EDITION, and bring thIs HTF Thread back on topic!

CHEERS!

• Steve...O and Rob_Ray like this

#1319 of 1481 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 482 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 09 2014 - 05:54 AM

Tony , Thanks for the update. I'll be ordering both , the BB Vol. 4 , and  Skreveldt's book. All

those years ago when I ordered the original hardcover, I believe I ordered right from Randy  and paid by check. I guess now it will be Amazon!

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if VOL.4 arrives around the same time.

#1320 of 1481 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 06:21 AM

Tony , Thanks for the update. I'll be ordering both , the BB Vol. 4 , and  Skreveldt's book. All

those years ago when I ordered the original hardcover, I believe I ordered right from Randy  and paid by check. I guess now it will be Amazon!

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if VOL.4 arrives around the same time.

Hi Lou!

Should that occur, it'll be a tough choice, but I'll have to go with purchasing the Bowery Boys set first and very reluctantly hold off on immediate purchase of Randy's Book!  I didn't get the first three pressed disc sets, only to wind up going the DVD-R route for the final volume!  As Mr. Skretvedt is also a Bowery Boys fan himself, I'm certain he'll understand.

Life is full of tough decisions! 

CHEERS!  :)

Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users