What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My vote is chronological. Interesting to see how the series (and actors) mature over the years. If Warners can get them out quickly then hopefully the interest will not disappear.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Hank Dearborn said:
But what about the many of us who are East Side Kids fans and who think the series better movies were the earlier ones before they got ridiculous. I like the films that were dramatic with some comedic elements as opposed to the ones that were just silly.
Then I'd say there are already tons of public domain versions on DVD of all those "Eastside Kids" flicks. I much prefer the later Bowery Boys incarnation, when they began to be comedians, and these are the Warner-owned movies that have been needed on home video for many years already.

J Hall

Agent
Real Name
John Hall
I really endorse Scott's proposal to arrange the films in themes. That's a great idea!

FourC27471

Auditioning
Real Name
Gilbert Goodman
I just joined this forum in order to express my views on the Bowery Boys and vote in the poll. I read the Classic Horror Film Boards and was directed to this site by their postings.

I voted for the Best of with mixed feelings. It seemed as if you voted for the chronological, it was saying you wanted them to wait until all nice copies have been found. Sorry, at 56 years of age I don't want to wait that long to see films I haven't seen since I was around 12 years old when they were shown on TV on Saturday afternoons on Bob Gordon's Popcorn Theater out of Winston-Salem, NC. God Bless that man. He introduced me to both the Bowery Boys and Republic Serials.

I will take the films in any fashion whatever as long as they start releasing them! Chronological would be nice, but if Best Of will get them released sooner, I will go for that. The theme idea seems nice, but I could also live with the numbering on the spines.

Go for it!

FourC27471

Duck Fan in NC

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This may come too late, but just to clarify, those of you who voted
to WAIT and release a chronological set are meaning to have Warner
delay in getting any of these films out for perhaps another year or two.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I didn't even KNOW there was a "vote" option at the beginning of this thread until now! Well, I've gone and officially cast my vote to release them Now! :)
I think the way you've worded the option -- "Wait for better elements to arrive for a chronological release" -- may be a misnomer; couldn't Warner still release them fairly chronologically right now, if they choose to go that way, but just skip over MR. HEX (or a couple of other trouble titles if need be) and get to those at a later date? It doesn't necessarily strike me that it would have to be one or the other.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From the way it was described to me....
1. Wait for WB to find better elements for Mr. Hex before starting
a release of any kind, so it would be done chronological.
2. Start releasing soon (the studio can get these out rather fast)
as "Best of" sets.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I hope WHV is open to what Joe Karlosi and a number of others have said in this thread: a chronological release to the extent possible with certain titles waiting if need be. In my opinion, it shouldn't have to be an "all or none" situation. This is really an "Option 3".
Reading all the comments it seems that while we all have varying ideas on how to package them, nearly all have said they are ready to buy them sooner rather than later. The other thing that is clear is that if a non-chronological release is offered that there are some assurances that there will be no double dipping. In other words, label the releases "Vol 1", "Vol 2", etc. rather than "Best of" which implies the release is a subset of a larger, complete collection which will be released later.
Finally, I'd also like to acknowledge Scott MacGillivray's well thought out post which I think presents a viable and marketable alternative if WHV decides against the chronological route. For those who are not aware, Scott is a film historian who is quite knowledgable concerning B pictures and contributed some commentaries to Fox's Laurel and Hardy releases in addition to being a published author. I'd love to hear his commentaries on some Bowery Boys flicks, particularly on those Stanley Clements gems :)
Steve

Todd Mattraw

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Let me state up front that, while I enjoy the Bowery Boys, I'm not fan enough to guarantee that I would buy all releases. But then, who knows --- I wasn't expecting to buy both Mr. Moto boxes or any Charlie Chan boxes either but the films won me over.

That said, I'd vote for a rough chronological release, bypassing any problematic films and catching up with those at the end of the series. Perhaps the problem transfers could be released in order, as is, and as better elements are found, they could be included on the later discs as extras.

I also like the numbered spine idea, and if there is a genuine fear that those numbers might confuse or put off the more casual consumer, why not print both sides of the cover insert, with the number showing on the inside of the cover, so that the in-the-know fans could flip the cover after they purchase the DVD, if they so choose? I've often wished that the studios would print alternative artwork on the flipside of the cover insert, using original poster art, to give the consumer some variety and choice (but then I like snapper cases and digi's and hate Amaray cases, unless they are clear with double-sided cover inserts).

Todd

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
From the way it was described to me....
1. Wait for WB to find better elements for Mr. Hex before starting
a release of any kind, so it would be done chronological.
2. Start releasing soon (the studio can get these out rather fast)
as "Best of" sets.
If there´s no middle ground (?), then I would still choose "Nr.1". Then again, I´m not a huge fan (yet, at least), so I don´t mind the wait.
If they just start releasing these films from "here-and-there", the fans might start to wonder that perhaps there will be a "proper" chronological releases coming later on and they might skip those "best of" sets.. Just speculating.

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
Id like to see the series split up into 4 sets.Release 2 sets per year starting with the higher quality film elements first....this would give another year or so to locate any better prints.

By that point im in favor of releasing whatever Warners can come up with.I would like to see somewhere in the packaging where chronologicaly the film falls within the series.

Most important,would like to see the whole catalouge released,despite print quality.

Thanks Warners!!!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I voted for #2 only because I like things in chrono order but why can't they start now with vol. 1, include Mr. Hex as a bonus feature on that particular vol. it's supposed to be in (if it's even watchable) and when a better print comes along redo the vol. with the new print. I don't think people would mind ONE double dip for a better print. I know I wouldn't if I wanted a complete set. Also, let me commend Warner's for asking our opinions. You guys are the saving grace of classic films! Thank God you own so many of them!

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
I've been regurgetating the responses posted on the forium and, personally and pusinanymously, I would prefer the brothers Warner to release the series in its original chronic illogical old fashion. I think it would be most distressing, if not, dehabilitating, for fans of Slip and Sach to see them genuflecting between youthful enthusiasm and decrepit delapidation. Not to mention the prospect of interloping Stanley Clements in the middle of the deprogression of the Bowery Boys' adventures endeavors! Ditto for Dick Elliott's imbilious characterization as Mike Clancy in the place of the deceased Bernard Gorcey.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I voted for "best of" of course I would prefer they change the titles to "vol 1" "vol 2" etc.
I just want them released.

ericlhoffman

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric L. Hoffman
The news about Warner Bros actually wanting to release the series is great news. But if they did them in sequence....unless they had about 10-15 titles per set, it would take a while.
Myself, I think a 'Best Boy' set series would be great...or more specifically in one particular case, a collection of their horror comedies; MASTER MINDS, THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS, SPOOK BUSTERS, GHOST CATCHES and SPOOK CHASERS. The first two titles are among the most popular in the long-running series and I know would sell like hot-cakes...or even DVDS! :laugh:
(sorry, just couldn't resist).
It would also be nice if among the extras they would have the trailers for these films. I know they exist since I found some of them in a VHS put out some years back.
I'm a long-time BB fan, since seeing their old 'EAST SIDE KIDS' films on TV at the start of the 50s and then seeing the following series from the early 50s on in the theater (gawd, memories of seeing them on the large screen).
I wonder if Warners is actually going to pay attention to any of the postings here, but I figure its worth a try.
One encouraging point is that they have started to do something with the Allied Artists package they have, which includes a lot of the Monogram Pictures features as well.
But that's for another forum, I guess.
So Warners, if you read this, how about a BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS-type package?
Thanks for the use of the hall,
Eric L. Hoffman

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wonder if Warners is actually going to pay attention to any of the postings here, but I figure its worth a try.
Eric,
Welcome to our forum. We hope you'll stick around for a while.
If Warner contacted us directly to post this thread, don't you
think that they are paying very close attention to your responses?
Let me assure you that Warner reads this forum DAILY. They
are huge fans of this forum and pay VERY close attention to everything
that gets posted. Furthermore, our biggest fan (who reads this forum
with morning coffee) is the person most responsible for getting
product out.
Warner is one of the very few remaining studios who really takes
a personal interest in what consumers like you want from the format.
The fact that they are the only studio that still does two live chats with
us each year should tell you something.
Your votes in this thread are going to be a huge factor in either getting
The Bowery Boys out immediately or delaying it another year
or two until the needed elements are found.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Given that any new transfers to DVD will likely be the staple for future editions, restorations, etc. on home video... I think 1-2 years compared to what we've already been through is not a big deal. I think we should all be patient and let Warners do what they do best in delivering a definitive version of the films that we want to see properly preserved on DVD, rather than rushed out now to satisfy our impulses. There's more than enough to keep our pockets stretched thin as it is. This will just be something for us to look forward to and anticipate even more. We've waited this long, another year or two is nothing if the outcome promises to be as enticing as it sounds.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
MarcoBiscotti said:
I think we should all be patient and let Warners do what they do best in delivering a definitive version of the films that we want to see properly preserved on DVD, rather than rushed out now to satisfy our impulses.
Impulses? Warner said in a chat something like two years ago that they were going to start releasing the Bowery Boys films; then apparently they ran into a problem with a print (MR. HEX, I take it?). And now another two years to wait before these films begin to see DVD? Sheesh, I hope not! Waiting two more years because 1 film in a series (or 3 or 4) out of 48 requires a better source, well.... that just seems unnecessary IMO.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Plus there's no guarantee that Warner will ever find good prints on some of the titles. Once again, I hope certain films won't be left in a vault just because of less than stellar quality.

I noticed that TCM is showing several of the PD East Side Kids films in November. Does anyone know why these BB films never get shown?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
I noticed that TCM is showing several of the PD East Side Kids films in November. Does anyone know why these BB films never get shown?
The Bowery Boys movies were shown several years ago on TCM, and I wish I had the channel back then. I have to say that my father in law had the channel at the time and I watched a couple of movies there... the quality looked darn good.
The following comment may be out of line, so please let me know, Ron -- but I had seen dupes of these airings making the rounds, at some convention or other. So people do want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks