"The Wonder Years" on DVD

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 of 89 OFFLINE   Darth Bowie

Darth Bowie

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 05:35 AM

Correct...retail outlets would have the sets on sale, therefore, I believe Fox should set the retail price at $79.99 ($59.99 on sale) for each season WITH THE ORIGINAL MUSIC INTACT (to cover costs). For the short 1st season, set it at $39.99 ($24.99-$29.99 on sale).

Posted Image

#22 of 89 OFFLINE   David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
I know that every single set is different, but they managed to get the first season of SNL out there retailing for ~$50, which I think would be a fair price for each season (besides the first obviously...if not packaged with the second, I'd pay maybe $25).

SNL had a huge advantage in that Universal put it out themselves, and I'm sure they had a much easier/cheaper time clearing any Universal acts.

#23 of 89 OFFLINE   Darth Bowie

Darth Bowie

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 04:54 PM

There is a great NEW interview with Dan Lauria (Jack Arnold). He talks about the series coming to DVD and the original ending planned for the aborted 7th season. Listen to it at the "Just My Show" site (Show #14).

#24 of 89 OFFLINE   Darth Bowie

Darth Bowie

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bowie
There is a great NEW interview with Dan Lauria (Jack Arnold). He talks about the series coming to DVD and the original ending planned for the aborted 7th season. Listen to it at the "Just My Show" site (Show #14).

Here is the link:

http://www.justmysho...owfourteen.html

Posted Image

#25 of 89 OFFLINE   MikeMO

MikeMO

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted June 29 2007 - 11:00 AM

This was a excellent interview. I got a lot of insight.

I have always wondered why another show like TWY hasn't aired. A show that is grounded in reality, and happy outcomes don't necessarily get tacked onto the end of each episode. People don't want to be depressed when watching TV, but I'd think people would love to watch a show that REALLY represented how high school was. Or TRULY represented the dynamic between sibling rivalry, or the interaction between parents, or the feeling of being you and insecure.

But, I have a question...in the interview, Lauria states that the ratings were great throughout. If so, why did the network pull the plug on the show at the last minute? And why didn't another network pick up the program?

And two...this is the first time I heard that they expected a seventh season. What do you guys think of that? I think every season was good, but the sixth had it's share of not so great episodes. I guess that will just naturally happen when a show is on for a while, and the Kevin gets older and gets farther away from that cute, innocent looking little child. Do you think a 7th season would've worked well for the show?

I found it really impressive to hear that the finale was mapped out for years.

#26 of 89 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted June 29 2007 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMO
But, I have a question...in the interview, Lauria states that the ratings were great throughout. If so, why did the network pull the plug on the show at the last minute? And why didn't another network pick up the program?
As much as I enjoyed this program, I think they would have been hard-pressed to squeeze another season or two out of the format. By design, not to mention title, this was a show about the "age of innocence" we all go through, aka adolescence. By the time the series wrapped, Kevin and company were teetering towards adulthood.
Gary

#27 of 89 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 05 2007 - 04:14 PM

i may be mis-remembering
the end of the last show or taking the end of another ep and put it at the very end, but the last ep recently aired on ION and it was NOT the same as i rememeber.

i always thought it ended with a flash back or forward of them shooting hoops in the driveway and then a fade out.

anyone remember what ep that was?
facebook.com/whotony

#28 of 89 OFFLINE   beatlejam

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
i may be mis-remembering
the end of the last show or taking the end of another ep and put it at the very end, but the last ep recently aired on ION and it was NOT the same as i rememeber.

i always thought it ended with a flash back or forward of them shooting hoops in the driveway and then a fade out.

anyone remember what ep that was?

You're thinking of the second season episode, "Loosiers." It just aired again on ION this week. The story is about basketball and the friendship of Kevin and Paul. The ending shows far away images of adult Kevin and Paul playing basketball while the narrator tells us that the friendship endured.

#29 of 89 OFFLINE   pandion

pandion

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 08:37 AM

Hi, I'm new to this Forum.

I've been following this thread on The Wonder Years for a while because it was always one of my more favorite shows and was initially delighted to hear that perhaps it might be coming out on DVD. The general consensus here seems to be, though, that it won't be coming out in the near future due to the music copyrights that apparently can't be obtained.

What I don't understand though, is that there are a number of websites that claim they have the complete Wonder Years episodes on DVD. (I couldn't post the URL links because I haven't made 10 posts or more, according to the rules). How is it that these websites can make the claim to having the entire series? Is it merely that they don't have the music rights but still have all of the episodes? I really don't understand. Can someone please straighten me out on this?

Also, can anyone tell me whether it's worth buying one of these DVDs? I can probably live without the original music scores, but I'm particularly concerned with the quality of the episodes. I'd hate to buy one merely to find out that the quality of the show is horrible. And of course the websites don't tell me anything about how good the show's quality is.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Pandion

#30 of 89 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 09:03 AM

They're bootlegs. Besides, even if they were legal, if it promises "All 93 episodes on 7 discs!" or thereabouts there's no way it'll have even remotely acceptable picture quality.

#31 of 89 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 02 2007 - 09:08 AM

yep, dont post those links.
we are not allowed to talk about boots on this forum.
facebook.com/whotony

#32 of 89 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,095 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 09:45 PM

They're also crap so don't bother.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#33 of 89 OFFLINE   alphanguy

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 04:29 AM

Well, SNL had the advantage of all performances being sung live... so they only had to pay the publishers for rights. Wonder years uses actual hit RECORDINGS, so you ahve to pay BOTH publishing and for the use of the RECORDING. That's why if a show has live music performances, then there is much better chance of it coming out.

#34 of 89 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 07:44 AM

Sadly, I am resigned to the fact that we will never see this series on DVD, and if it is released it won't bear any resemblance to the original shows. The music that was chosen for each show played an important part of the show. The episodes just wouldn't be the same with replaced music.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#35 of 89 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,794 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 04 2007 - 12:18 AM

Yep, they're bootlegs. Most likely they were downloaded off the net and someone authored those DVDs on the cheapest media available. It's not worth the price of the DVD media. Save your money.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#36 of 89 OFFLINE   pandion

pandion

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 04:46 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I appreciate all of you setting me straight. I was almost desparate enough to buy one of the DVDs from the links I've seen but based on what all of you have recommended, I'll stay away from them. Bummer!

I do have one other question, though, that just dawned on me. On the Tvshowsondvd.com website (from where I found this forum), there are a couple of DVDs for The Wonder Years listed - "Best of The Wonder Years" and "The Best of the Christmas Wonder Years". Are these legitimate? And if so, how is it that these can be produced with music, soundtracks, etc. but not the rest of the episodes? I'm tempted to buy these too but again, I'll await your answers before making a decision.

Thanks ...

Pandion

#37 of 89 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 08:17 AM

Those two "best-of" DVDs are indeed legitimate releases, but they suffer from extensive music replacement.

#38 of 89 OFFLINE   varybarry

varybarry

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 07:23 AM

I can't stand the music replacement. It takes away from the shows. I wish there was some way to get the original music into the the box sets.
Save some money on magazine subscriptions .

#39 of 89 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 08:21 AM

I can’t speak of the Christmas disc, but I have the “best of” disc and all it is, is a clip show episode and the hour long series finale. I don’t think that there was music in them, but I could be wrong. They did replace Joe Cocker version of “With a little Help From My Friends” to someone else though for the opening credits.

#40 of 89 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,794 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 05 2007 - 08:26 AM

You said something there! That old slasher movie Happy Birthday to Me was one I'd always wanted to replace my old VHS with a DVD. Then they go and replace music from it. Needless to say I'll be watching my old version with beautiful tracking lines all over it again this year. Anchor Bay will be my savior on that one someday.

I couldn't (****correction, of course****) imagine watching Wonder Years with any music replacements. It wont work.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow