What's new

Tales From The Crypt (1972) on Sept 11. (2 Viewers)

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
from DVDDrive-in.com: I've been waiting for "Tales" for the longest time.And on a double-feature with "Vault of Horror" no less.And will be picking up the Fly set as well.How do you like your clots?

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
That's great news! Tales From the Crypt/Vault of Horror for me. I still remember watching that combo when TBS used to air them years ago during Halloween week. Had given up hope that either of these two would ever be released to dvd since their never seemed to be any chatter about them. The Santa-Joan Collins is probably the most well remembered, but I always got a kick out of the "Monkey's Paw" adaptation with "Death" riding that motorcycle.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Great news isn't it? This only leaves "From Beyond the Grave".

I wonder if Vault of Horror will be uncut? I've always assumed the showings I have seen are cut because

a) The scene at the end of the first story (with the "blood on tap") seems to freezeframe and then cut abruptly. It always looked as though there should be more there.

b) I have seen a still from the film a number of times of the end scene, where the figures walking into the graveyard at the end are shown from the front, revelaing them to be the walking dead with skeletal faces etc. Yet in the film, I have only ever seen them from the back, walking into the mist.

It seems unlikely that this was something specifically composed for a publicity still, since the makup etc is quite elaborate and must have cost a fair amount.

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
With a bit of luck, it'll be uncut. Although, the version showing on Sky Movies at the moment is the cut version, and that appears to be from a Fox Video master. So, hopefully, the DVD version will be sourced from different elements!

Apparently, the UK Vipco release is the uncut version. But the picture quality's supposed to be very poor on that edition.

The sequence with them walking across the graveyard with skeleton faces might have been abandoned because the make-up didn't photograph very well, or something like that. I don't suppose the footage exists anymore, anyway. :frowning:

Some people live in the country
Some people live in the town
Why don't you do us a service
Jump in the river and...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nice to hear the Amicus titles will be released. Am disappointed all over again every summer when THE MEPHISTO WALTZ fails to make the announced Halloween roster for the coming fall.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I think the Mephisto waltz is owned by Paramount. Classic film titles released by Paramount is an oxymoron. It's like a black hole. Everything gets sucked in and nothing escapes.

walter o

Supporting Actor

MEPHISTO WALTZ still pops up on FXM channel, so I assume it is a Fox film still, as they released it in the theatres, as well as video and cable.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
GREAT NEWS!!

Especially happy to see The Earth Dies Screaming, Tales From the Crypt & Witchcraft being released.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Really happy about Blueprint for Murder / Man in the Attic which are not horror films at all :laugh: , but good thrillers.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
This is going to be a fun Halloween this year. I can't wait to replace my EP VHS of this. An awesome anthology that beats out Creepshow IMHO. I adore the final story about the home for the blind. Top notch creepiness!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Does this nullify the earlier speculation about the horror (?) films MAN HUNT, HANGOVER SQUARE, THE LODGER, THE UNDYING MONSTER, CHANDU THE MAGICIAN?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah! Amicus horror flicks are my favorite. I know I'm in the minority, but I always preferred them to most of the Hammer output. ASYLUM and DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS are also great fun.

Gereon_B

Grip
Mephisto Waltz is out in R2 by Fox. The UK DVD is already oop, but it's still avaiable via Germany, if anyone is interested. The German title is Mephisto-Walzer.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

The two brands are so different, though.

My favorite Amicus film is House That Dripped Blood, but the best Amicus film is the one nobody talks about, The Mind of Mr. Soames. It had a premise similar to Charley and both were released at about the same time. Some critics thought The Mind of Mr. Soames was the better film.

Why aren't more people demanding The Mind of Mr. Soames ?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

That's an inappropriate double feature.

The Mephisto Waltz merits a special edition treatment. There's a lot going on in this film. I remember seeing it in a packed house. It got a lot of write-ups for being the only feature film released by Fox in that year -- 1970 or 1971, I forget which. Jacqueline Bissett gives the best performance of her career and so does Barbara Parkins. Parkins really enjoys herself as Roxanne, the sexy evil "daughter" of Curd Jurgens. It came out again on a double-feature a couple of years later with Red Sky At Morning (or was it My Sweet Charlie?) and I liked it even better the second time.

It's a shame Paul Wendkos was never asked to do a commentary. He was a prolific director known for his efficient but stylish set-ups. His direction was twenty years ahead of everybody else. His radical camerawork was unique in 1960s-70s television and movies although it is standard operating procedure now.

walter o

Supporting Actor

In agreement here. Suprised Fox will do special editions for their three (to average consumers, obscure ) Michael Caine films, to bad comedies like S.P.Y.S, yet this genuine suspense flick gets paired with a silly voodoo film. I was hoping a nice treatment as well.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I am in agreement with you, this is one of the best sci-fi films not on DVD. Do you know who has the rights to this?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

UGGGH...that means this has almost no chance of making its way onto DVD:frowning:

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks