What's new

Tales From The Crypt (1972) on Sept 11. (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Darn. That's disappointing. I hate to buy it now. But it's worth the 10 bucks for Tales from the Crypt alone! I've never seen Vault so I can take the cuts without screaming out loud with every cut since I don't really know where they are. I know I'll be missing stuff, but what can I do? I'm looking forward to both anyway. Hopefully we can all buy Vault in the future without the cuts. As it is, I'm thrilled to get these films. I bought 37 flicks for October this year (I have a yearly horrorthon and watch an average of 135 horrors in October) and these are in the group I'm really looking forward to the most, along with the whole Friday the 13th 11 movie series.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
The "blood on tap" cut is particularly crude and jarring, it's very obvious that there has been an edit at that point.

I well remember my first viewing of this film, before I know anything about any cuts, and when the first story of the five reaches it's dénouement I instantly thought "that doesn't look right, it looks as though there should be more, but instead it just crashes to a halt with a freezeframe"...

It looks extremely odd and probably even a casual viewer will think "huh?"

The other cuts are by their nature less noticeable.

I can still enjoy the film but it is a shame that this edition could not be the original, unmarred by the censor's busy scissors.

I'm willing to be generous and assume there's a reason for this, and not just crass incompetence.

It seems ironic that apparently the "Curse of the Faceless Man" was pulled because they couldn't find a good enough print, whilst at the same time releasing a cut edition of what is (IMHO) one of the two finest films in the new Midnite batch.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
This is terrible news!

I have the Vipco R2 version, but was really looking forward to a widescreen version. Also, the Vipco print is awful.

Honestly - how can this happen in this day and age?!?! I thought dealing with badly censored horror films was a thing of the past. It's ironic that we have to turn to Vipco for an uncut print, considering their history.

Just reluctantly cancelled my Amazon order.......

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Just wanted to add that I'm glad so many have the strength to cancel their orders. I just can't go back to my VHS ep recorded Tales from the Crypt. I LOVE that film and I'm buying this because of it with Vault just a bonus.

**I don't guess there's an alternative DVD for just Crypt so I can be a part of the boycott as well? I'm soooo weak!!! :frowning: And Im still happy for MGM coming out with more Midnite Movie sets.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
I'm still ordering it, it is worth a few seconds of cuts for a good looking print IMHO.

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I wouldn't condemn anyone for buying it. I'd pick it up myself, if I didn't already have off-air DVDRs of both films.

As it stands, I'd rather put my money towards something like 'From Beyond the Grave' (assuming Warners haven't mucked that one up, as well).

It's still annoying, though, because there are good quality uncut elements for this film out there, that could have been used instead.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
The only version of VOH ever released on US home video was the super-rare Nostalgia Merchant tape from the early 80's. That was also the same cut version of the film. I saw the film theatriclly in the US and it was also cut. That old Nostalgia Merchant tape fetched upwards of $100 over the years amongst collectors. And the uncut Prism vhs of "TALES FROM THE CRYPT" easily fetched over $50 in the last several years amongst fans.

A $10 DVD to have both films is a bargain any way you look at it. Yes, DVD is a different industry than VHS and we should have higher expectations, but it is obvious that the cut version of VOH is an alternate cut possibly edited for a US distributor and that may be the only print they have access to. Who knows? But $10 for TALES FROM THE CRYPT alone is a bargain. And the few cuts to VAULT OF HORROR are noticeable, but they don't ruin the film. Wish it was uncut myself and I can understand disappointment, but the knee-jerk reaction to cancel orders on a $10 DVD, that will most likely deliver the best version of CRYPT at the very least, seems a bit overboard. But spend your money where you like. I'll be buying this in an instant and I have a feeling the majority of rabid horror fans who have waited for these films will as well.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^^

It's level-headed thinking like this that makes it even more difficult for me to consider cancelling my orders for a boycott like this. :frowning:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The link for this needs ".html" on the end.

Nice reviews...with pictures!

I disagree about Crypt. Man, I love each of those stories in it. Can't wait to watch.

I didn't read your Vault review because I haven't seen it since I was a kid (if I even saw it then) and would like no spoilers in the least.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Cheers for the correction. I try to avoid spoilers in my reviews, but on short stories it is quite hard, hope you enjoy it, I much preferred it to 'Tales' since it has a real comic book atmosphere throughout.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just avoid all reviews for something like this. I should've said "in case it had spoilers" I'm avoiding. But I just looked and noticed Tom Baker in the cast. That would've been a nice surprise as I went on and on asking "I know him! Who is that?" Darn. Spoiler. I'm joking.

I hope I enjoy Vault more. I adore Crypt so Vault would have to be darn special. Im pretty shore I'll be a highlight of my October horror viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks