-

Photo

Tales From The Crypt (1972) on Sept 11.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 TommyJD

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 11:18 PM

from DVDDrive-in.com:
Quote:
We just got word that Fox has a slew of classic horror DVDs which will be released on September 11 as part of their Halloween promotion. These include double feature sets of TALES FROM THE CRYPT (1972)/VAULT OF HORROR (1973), CHOSEN SURVIVORS/THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING (directed by Terence Fisher), DEVILS OF DARKNESS/WITCHCRAFT (1964, starring Lon Chaney Jr.), BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER/MAN IN THE ATTIC and THE FLY CLASSIC COLLECTION (SRP $39.99) which will feature re-releases of the original THE FLY and RETURN OF THE FLY, as well as the home video premiere of CURSE OF THE FLY. Many of the titles here have never been available on home video in the U.S. before! The double features will retail for around $14.98 each, but will probably sell in stores or online for less. More details and cover art to follow
I've been waiting for "Tales" for the longest time.And on a double-feature with "Vault of Horror" no less.And will be picking up the Fly set as well.How do you like your clots?

#2 of 52 Jeff-Wooten

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 01:10 AM

That's great news! Tales From the Crypt/Vault of Horror for me. I still remember watching that combo when TBS used to air them years ago during Halloween week. Had given up hope that either of these two would ever be released to dvd since their never seemed to be any chatter about them. The Santa-Joan Collins is probably the most well remembered, but I always got a kick out of the "Monkey's Paw" adaptation with "Death" riding that motorcycle.

#3 of 52 Richard_Gregory

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 01:47 AM

Great news isn't it? This only leaves "From Beyond the Grave".

I wonder if Vault of Horror will be uncut? I've always assumed the showings I have seen are cut because

a) The scene at the end of the first story (with the "blood on tap") seems to freezeframe and then cut abruptly. It always looked as though there should be more there.

b) I have seen a still from the film a number of times of the end scene, where the figures walking into the graveyard at the end are shown from the front, revelaing them to be the walking dead with skeletal faces etc. Yet in the film, I have only ever seen them from the back, walking into the mist.

It seems unlikely that this was something specifically composed for a publicity still, since the makup etc is quite elaborate and must have cost a fair amount.

#4 of 52 James Phillips

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 02:42 AM

With a bit of luck, it'll be uncut. Although, the version showing on Sky Movies at the moment is the cut version, and that appears to be from a Fox Video master. So, hopefully, the DVD version will be sourced from different elements!

Apparently, the UK Vipco release is the uncut version. But the picture quality's supposed to be very poor on that edition.

The sequence with them walking across the graveyard with skeleton faces might have been abandoned because the make-up didn't photograph very well, or something like that. I don't suppose the footage exists anymore, anyway. Posted Image

Posted Image

Some people live in the country
Some people live in the town
Why don't you do us a service
Jump in the river and...

#5 of 52 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,091 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 12:18 PM

Nice to hear the Amicus titles will be released. Am disappointed all over again every summer when THE MEPHISTO WALTZ fails to make the announced Halloween roster for the coming fall.

#6 of 52 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,109 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 07:01 PM

I think the Mephisto waltz is owned by Paramount. Classic film titles released by Paramount is an oxymoron. It's like a black hole. Everything gets sucked in and nothing escapes.

#7 of 52 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisP
I think the Mephisto waltz is owned by Paramount. Classic film titles released by Paramount is an oxymoron. It's like a black hole. Everything gets sucked in and nothing escapes.

MEPHISTO WALTZ still pops up on FXM channel, so I assume it is a Fox film still, as they released it in the theatres, as well as video and cable.

#8 of 52 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 12:02 AM

GREAT NEWS!!

Especially happy to see The Earth Dies Screaming, Tales From the Crypt & Witchcraft being released.

#9 of 52 CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 12:22 AM

Really happy about Blueprint for Murder / Man in the Attic which are not horror films at all Posted Image , but good thrillers.
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#10 of 52 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 18 2007 - 12:39 AM

This is going to be a fun Halloween this year. I can't wait to replace my EP VHS of this. An awesome anthology that beats out Creepshow IMHO. I adore the final story about the home for the blind. Top notch creepiness!
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#11 of 52 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 01:30 AM

Does this nullify the earlier speculation about the horror (?) films MAN HUNT, HANGOVER SQUARE, THE LODGER, THE UNDYING MONSTER, CHANDU THE MAGICIAN?
Charles Hoyt

#12 of 52 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 01:57 AM

Oh yeah! Amicus horror flicks are my favorite. I know I'm in the minority, but I always preferred them to most of the Hammer output. ASYLUM and DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS are also great fun.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#13 of 52 Gereon_B

Gereon_B

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 04:00 AM

Mephisto Waltz is out in R2 by Fox. The UK DVD is already oop, but it's still avaiable via Germany, if anyone is interested. The German title is Mephisto-Walzer.

#14 of 52 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Nice to hear the Amicus titles will be released. Am disappointed all over again every summer when THE MEPHISTO WALTZ fails to make the announced Halloween roster for the coming fall.

According to Fangoria.com, Mephisto Waltz is coming out paired with House on Skull Mountain.
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#15 of 52 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kidd
Oh yeah! Amicus horror flicks are my favorite. I know I'm in the minority, but I always preferred them to most of the Hammer output. ASYLUM and DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS are also great fun.

The two brands are so different, though.

My favorite Amicus film is House That Dripped Blood, but the best Amicus film is the one nobody talks about, The Mind of Mr. Soames. It had a premise similar to Charley and both were released at about the same time. Some critics thought The Mind of Mr. Soames was the better film.

Why aren't more people demanding The Mind of Mr. Soames ?

#16 of 52 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stell
According to Fangoria.com, Mephisto Waltz is coming out paired with House on Skull Mountain.

That's an inappropriate double feature.

The Mephisto Waltz merits a special edition treatment. There's a lot going on in this film. I remember seeing it in a packed house. It got a lot of write-ups for being the only feature film released by Fox in that year -- 1970 or 1971, I forget which. Jacqueline Bissett gives the best performance of her career and so does Barbara Parkins. Parkins really enjoys herself as Roxanne, the sexy evil "daughter" of Curd Jurgens. It came out again on a double-feature a couple of years later with Red Sky At Morning (or was it My Sweet Charlie?) and I liked it even better the second time.

It's a shame Paul Wendkos was never asked to do a commentary. He was a prolific director known for his efficient but stylish set-ups. His direction was twenty years ahead of everybody else. His radical camerawork was unique in 1960s-70s television and movies although it is standard operating procedure now.

#17 of 52 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W
That's an inappropriate double feature.

The Mephisto Waltz merits a special edition treatment. There's a lot going on in this film. I remember seeing it in a packed house. It got a lot of write-ups for being the only feature film released by Fox in that year -- 1970 or 1971, I forget which. Jacqueline Bissett gives the best performance of her career and so does Barbara Parkins. Parkins really enjoys herself as Roxanne, the sexy evil "daughter" of Curd Jurgens. It came out again on a double-feature a couple of years later with Red Sky At Morning (or was it My Sweet Charlie?) and I liked it even better the second time.

It's a shame Paul Wendkos was never asked to do a commentary. He was a prolific director known for his efficient but stylish set-ups. His direction was twenty years ahead of everybody else. His radical camerawork was unique in 1960s-70s television and movies although it is standard operating procedure now.

In agreement here. Suprised Fox will do special editions for their three (to average consumers, obscure ) Michael Caine films, to bad comedies like S.P.Y.S, yet this genuine suspense flick gets paired with a silly voodoo film. I was hoping a nice treatment as well.

#18 of 52 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 12:10 AM

Quote:
Why aren't more people demanding The Mind of Mr. Soames ?

I am in agreement with you, this is one of the best sci-fi films not on DVD. Do you know who has the rights to this?

#19 of 52 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay E
I am in agreement with you, this is one of the best sci-fi films not on DVD. Do you know who has the rights to this?

Columbia has the film.

#20 of 52 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter o
Columbia has the film.

UGGGH...that means this has almost no chance of making its way onto DVDPosted Image

Thanks

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow