Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft Confirms they don't want HD DVD or Blu-ray to survive!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
159 replies to this topic

#141 of 160 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 04:10 AM

Which is what I've said multiple times. Only time will tell what thier real agenda is. There is no basis to either defend or promote either side of the discussion. Hell, Microsoft is large enough a company to have people pushing both agendas at the same time.

#142 of 160 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
If you think they all lie: no meaningful discussion possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Perron
Which is what I've said multiple times.
Then better say it only once. Posted Image
You make it look like you were discussing the matter after all in this thread.

Cees

#143 of 160 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
Hell, Microsoft is large enough a company to have people pushing both agendas at the same time.
What an inspiration!Posted Image

Just waiting for the gallery to chime in that "We're All Human!".Posted Image
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#144 of 160 ONLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,220 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus
Ive just noticed too that DvdTalk.com under Hd-Dvd and Bluray reviews announce that " Dvd Talk is the only place for UNBIASED Hd-Dvd and Bluray reviews

HD-reviews should always be "unbiased". It´s sad if reviewers use their HD-reviews for preaching against the "other format". I don´t see the point behind their (DVDtalk) statement.

#145 of 160 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 10:11 AM

I don't think Microsoft has any hidden agenda. Microsoft's agenda is to promote Microsoft. There is nothing evil or underhanded about that. Microsoft has a multi-threaded plan for the future. That plan includes promoting HD DVD now and downloads in the future if it goes that way. They are covering all the options. Thats just smart business.

To say that they don't have a stake in HD DVD is silly. Not only have the developed the primary codec used for HD DVD, VC-1. They helped develop the HDI interactive format. (BTW Disney had a big hand in the development of HDI also) And they have also spent millions promoting the format.

I don't see any reason not to take Microsoft's comments a face value. They have never been shy about their intentions in the past.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#146 of 160 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,517 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
It´s sad if reviewers use their HD-reviews for preaching against the "other format". I don´t see the point behind their (DVDtalk) statement.
I do see the point. The format war rages on, and the fact that some are taking sides makes it important to point out one's neutrality.

Quote:
I don't see any reason not to take Microsoft's comments a face value. They have never been shy about their intentions in the past.
Agreed. Can anyone point out any ACTION (as opposed to talk) Microsoft has taken to destroy HDDVD? Didn't they offer to work with Sony to put their codec on BR?

#147 of 160 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
Except that Richard is payed to spread the good word for Microsoft. Which makes Bill's situation nothing like Richard's. Again, unless you have proof that Bill is taking money from someone to support Blu-Ray, there is no reason to slander him by implying it.
Shawn, here is what I said.
Quote:
Say what!!!! Digital Bits does not accept advertisement revenues???? It is a completly free site? Of course you get paid for your opinions. Just a little less direct.
No where did I state Bill Hunt was paid by Sony. What you imply from my statement I cannot help.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#148 of 160 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:46 PM

Quote:
Atleast as much as the upper management at Enron when they were saying everything was fine, because we all know corporations always tell us the truth. Posted Image
This is about as ludicrous a reference s could be made, smiley face or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
And that has nothing to do, whatsoever, with Richards's personal integrity or believability.

BTW, if someone feels (s)he cannot personally trust the word of a commercial company - then why start a discussion with a guy who represents them in the first place? If one hears a spokesman saying something (be he misquoted or not), then why believe the part you want to believe (the evil explanation) and attack him later for explaining he meant something else - based on the accusation that he's a company spokesman?

If you think they all lie: no meaningful discussion possible.

Cees
Right on, Cees.

#149 of 160 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:49 PM

Quote:
Hell, Microsoft is large enough a company to have people pushing both agendas at the same time.
Posted Image

#150 of 160 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 03:59 AM

" HD-reviews should always be "unbiased". It´s sad if reviewers use their HD-reviews for preaching against the "other format". I don´t see the point behind their (DVDtalk) statement. "

I agree with the first part , but is it actually likely that DBits will give the format they dislike the most a fair crack of the whip ? I think their statement implies that they suspect this to be the case too .

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#151 of 160 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 04:46 AM

Quote:
The most humorous part to me is how close a watch Microsoft keeps on AVS. Literally in less then 5 hours, Microsoft has a response there, and from someone as high up as Doherty himself no less. I wonder how many interns they have watching that place. Posted Image

There are plenty of Sony and Blu-ray insiders posting over there on a daily basis, too. But I guess that's okay.

Vincent

#152 of 160 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 06:06 AM

Yeah, Paidgeek and company keep a close watch too. I think that's part of the reason AVS is such a mess. Too many interested parties stirring the pot, not that this place isn't starting to get messy as well. Oh well, someday this war will end and we can resume our regularly scheduled program. Posted Image

#153 of 160 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,837 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 17 2007 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Paidgeek and company keep a close watch too. I think that's part of the reason AVS is such a mess. Too many interested parties stirring the pot, not that this place isn't starting to get messy as well. Oh well, someday this war will end and we can resume our regularly scheduled program. Posted Image
Shawn,
IMO, the posting environment around here is a lot better than it was a year ago and I take exception to you implying otherwise. If there are posts being made that cross the line then report them, instead of just complaining about HTF becoming messy around here.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#154 of 160 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Shawn,
IMO, the posting environment around here is a lot better than it was a year ago and I take exception to you implying otherwise. If there are posts being made that cross the line then report them, instead of just complaining about HTF becoming messy around here.

Actually it's just lately since Bill Hunt first took a stance that it's gotten a bit mean spirited around here. For whatever reason, that seems to have gotten everyone riled up. I'm sorry if you can't see it, but I'll keep in mind that I'm not allowed to express any of my opinions about HTF around here. Your post has surely shown me what a friendly place this still is. Posted Image

#155 of 160 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 08:37 AM

Quote:
since Bill Hunt first took a stance that it's gotten a bit mean spirited around here. For whatever reason, that seems to have gotten everyone riled up.
Posted Image Everyone? Here?
Riled up?

Did you see the thread in question? In the end "everyone" was showing each other photographs of their babies.

If that was a war zone, they must have been trying to mimick the usual *movie* trenches code: show each other photograph of baby or babe.

Cees

#156 of 160 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 08:56 AM

You mean the thread with such classic lines as:

Quote:
Can I be the first to ask that the 'Digital Bits' buttons that are littered about Htf be removed ? I no longer think it should be recommended to noobs.

On Bill Hunt:

Quote:
IMO he is absolutely a shill for Sony and this was timed to throw a cold shower on the lot of consumers who bought players last week.

And these are from just a two of the first posts. Posted Image

#157 of 160 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,837 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 17 2007 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
Actually it's just lately since Bill Hunt first took a stance that it's gotten a bit mean spirited around here. For whatever reason, that seems to have gotten everyone riled up. I'm sorry if you can't see it, but I'll keep in mind that I'm not allowed to express any of my opinions about HTF around here. Your post has surely shown me what a friendly place this still is. Posted Image
Interesting, so now you're accusing us of not allowing you to express your opinion about HTF. Like any forum, we need our members to help us keep this place a pleasant place for everyone. When there are problems we hope our membership will help to ensure such an environment by letting us know whenever problems pop up around here.

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel that way about us, but we try our best.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#158 of 160 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
You mean the thread with such classic lines as:
Oh, come on Shawn! *Classic* indeed. Posted Image

Quote:
And these are from just a two of the first posts.
And, after some very upset people expressed their opinions, the thread and the discussion went on. Several went on disagreeing with Bill, several agreed, many expressed the opinion that their preference lays somewhere else.

If you really want to prove "your" point by selecting a few (maybe even up to ten) posts without looking at the whole discussion, or if you're honestly not able to see how it all developed, then indeed I understand that you personally get confused and feel obliged to say "that this place isn't starting to get messy".

Except: sorry, but it isn't really messy. Well, not very. Posted Image

Cees

HTF Rules (uhm ... and has Rules)

HTF Mission Statement

#159 of 160 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 11:07 AM

But anyway, enough off topic. Posted Image

...oh wait, that's you job. Posted Image

#160 of 160 ONLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,220 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus
" HD-reviews should always be "unbiased". It´s sad if reviewers use their HD-reviews for preaching against the "other format". I don´t see the point behind their (DVDtalk) statement. "

I agree with the first part , but is it actually likely that DBits will give the format they dislike the most a fair crack of the whip ? I think their statement implies that they suspect this to be the case too .

~M~

For me Digitalbits has always been mainly news/information-site and if/when they´ve HD-reviews, they should be 100% unbiased.

For me, there are HD-reviews and then there are forum-talk and "editorial/columns".

Reviewer can of course make some comparisons (based on *facts* etc) if you have both versions (Blu-ray/HD DVD) of the same title or give some well documented thoughts, but at least I´m not very keen to read some biased speculation ("This title has MPEG-2 codec. It must be inferior, since I read that in the forum!" etc).

But of course, review is always just one opinion, it´s never 100% truth of anything like that. They´re always merely guidelines.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow