Microsoft Confirms they don't want HD DVD or Blu-ray to survive!?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Paul Hillenbrand, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    A heads-up from the Digital Bits this morning.[​IMG]

According to Richard Doherty, Microsoft's program manager for Media Entertainment Convergence:
    “I don't know that [HD] will be delivered on an optical disc in five to 10 years,” he said, pointing to downloads and broadband delivery. “At Microsoft, we'd rather it wasn't [on a disc]."
    “this will be the last optical [home entertainment] generation. If this one survives."

Link

Paul

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Yup!
    "Definite confirmation"!!!

3. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

IMHO, Definite confirmation!

Paul

4. Jon Moss

Jon Moss Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm.. seems to me the Microsoft guy is just doing a little future prediction. It's pretty likely that there will be other formats that will exist alongside optical discs or take over completely within ten years time.

It's inevitable that Microsoft will push more towards film downloads, as then they can regulate everything through Windows and the Xbox and generate even more $$$$.

I know many people are resistant to downloads as they love having the actual product on their shelves, so it's unlikely everything will be downloads. Shops & retail stores will still need some kind of product to display on the shelves. It may be optical discs, it may be films on memory cards, or it may be some other format. However, HD-DVD & Blu-ray are going to be around for a while yet (ten years is really pushing it though I think).

Can I request Microsoft starts developing those crystals that Superman uses in the Fortress of Solitude, for delivering HD home playback?? [​IMG]

5. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Downloadable low bit rate 720P video and lossy sound or high bit rate 1080P video and lossless audio? I'll take number two please.

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Microsoft has a vested interest in this format war resulting in two casualties. This is why they sided with the underdog with their wallet to help divide the market. This is especially obvious since PC manufacturers and even Microsoft (for software delivery) are trending towards Blu Ray for next gen data storage & delivery.

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Has anyone asked Amir over at AVS about this?

I would like to know what he has to say.

8. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

No. Microsoft sided with the format that uses more of their technology now, acknowledging even then that HD DVD would be a "bridge" technology between physical media and network delivery.

9. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

This is already being discussed in the hilariously named 'Blu-ray / HD DVD War... the end is near:' thread.

10. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    Both statements sound accurate to me.

Paul

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

12. Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron Supporting Actor

The most humorous part to me is how close a watch Microsoft keeps on AVS. Literally in less then 5 hours, Microsoft has a response there, and from someone as high up as Doherty himself no less. I wonder how many interns they have watching that place. [​IMG]

13. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Enough to make Bill Clinton jealous?

14. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A lot of the MS guys are just HT geeks like us. Youngish men with lots if disposable income. [​IMG] Amir ... Stacey ... all HT enthusiasts first.

Regards

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

"Rather" is "definite"?
    Preferable maybe.
    However, when someone starts off with: "I don't know", take EVERYTHING after that w/a ton of sea salt!

16. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    If Microsoft wanted everyone to only download movies, and wanted both formats to die, they would not have invested in HD DVD and instead would have exclusivly invested in a download service! They are just looking forward to what they think the next step will be.

17. Bob Black

Bob Black Stunt Coordinator

Typical Bill Hunt FUD trying to scare his ever-shrinking audience into adopting his "binky", Blu-Ray!

18. ppltd

ppltd Producer

That makes alot of sense, doesn't it. I could not agree more.

19. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

When they are talking about "non-optical" that doesn't necessarily mean downloads.

There is a lot of research being put into solid state media delivery right now. Non-optical could also mean media delivered on a solid state chip. Which by the way would load MUCH faster than an optical disc and not be subject to scratches and other optical flaws. A current HD DVD or Blu-ray could be put into something the size of an SD card and there wouldn't have to be a size limit as far as storage. It could be 50 gigs or 200.

Just something to think about.

Doug

20. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I thought I had read that Microsoft wanted to work with Sony on codecs for BR, and Sony rebuffed them, because they hated the idea of doing anything that provided revenue for MS. That doesn't sound like a "divide and conquer" strategy to me, but rather, a company looking for revenues wherever it can.