Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Whats the best way to wire a projector?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Elfmaze


    Stunt Coordinator

  • 57 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2007

Posted May 25 2007 - 04:21 AM

I have a fairly cheap toshiba TLP-S10 AS seen here:

-****://multimediaprojectors.alege.net/Toshiba-TLP-S10-Multimedia-Projector.html -Spam bot prevents link

I am trying to figure a way to run an video switch that would best suit my needs.

inputs can be - RCA video; VGA; s-vid

sources are - RCA DVD player, VGA computer input(so i can watch online movies). Playstation.

What is the best way to send the signal to the projector and switch the sources easily?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   joseph westcott

joseph westcott

    Second Unit

  • 355 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 24 2005

Posted May 25 2007 - 04:36 AM

If you plan on owning a projector for a long time, I suggest running as many cables as you can think of to future proof your system as much as possible, especially if it will be difficult to rerun new cables. I would run HDMI, Component, and VGA. If you upgrade later, you will need HDMI for copy protection reasons and you PlayStation (if its a 3) can take advantage of HDMI now! A switch box may be needed later to accomodate more HDMI devides like DVD players, AV receivers, and HD players. Whether we like it or not, everything is going digital so you might as well plan for it.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Chris Moe

Chris Moe


  • 1,087 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 12 2002

Posted May 25 2007 - 06:27 AM

I use a NEC-6010 switcher to run everything to my projector. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't do DVI or HDMI, not a big deal with my projectors though. You can find these switchers on eBay.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Elfmaze


    Stunt Coordinator

  • 57 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2007

Posted May 29 2007 - 08:30 AM

so the signal that goes over a single RCA video wire is called composite rca? What is the best way to convert VGA into RCA composite so it can be sent thru the switch and up the long RCA video cable to the projector? I see alot of RCA Component(three wire) but i don't think that is what i want

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   adam613



  • 39 posts
  • Join Date: May 07 2007

Posted May 29 2007 - 09:00 AM

Answers to your terminology questions: The one-wire RCA video connection is called composite. It s...well, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. S-Video is a much better one-wire alternative. The three-wire RCA video connections is called component. You can get adapters to convert a VGA signal to component, composite, or S-Video. Component supports HDTV resolutions; composite and S-Video don't. Component will also get you better quality than composite or S-Video at SDTV resolution. Keep in mind that this is not a home theater projector. It has a native resolution of 800x600, and likely won't look good with 480i television. It also only has one VGA input, so you'd need a VGA switch to get multiple HD inputs. That said, if you have your heart set on this setup, I'd do the following: Run a long VGA cable from the computer to the projector. Use the computer to play DVDs. Get an S-Video cable for the PS2, and connect that to the projector's S-Video port.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ron Connolly

Ron Connolly


  • 28 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 26 2000
  • Real Name:Ron
  • LocationSan Jose, Ca.

Posted May 30 2007 - 02:51 AM

OOOOPS! My bad. I was thinking of the wrong input. Sorry!
Ron Connolly
San Jose, Ca.