What's new

Whats the best way to wire a projector? (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I have a fairly cheap toshiba TLP-S10 AS seen here:

-****://multimediaprojectors.alege.net/Toshiba-TLP-S10-Multimedia-Projector.html -Spam bot prevents link

I am trying to figure a way to run an video switch that would best suit my needs.

inputs can be - RCA video; VGA; s-vid

sources are - RCA DVD player, VGA computer input(so i can watch online movies). Playstation.

What is the best way to send the signal to the projector and switch the sources easily?

joseph westcott

Second Unit

If you plan on owning a projector for a long time, I suggest running as many cables as you can think of to future proof your system as much as possible, especially if it will be difficult to rerun new cables. I would run HDMI, Component, and VGA. If you upgrade later, you will need HDMI for copy protection reasons and you PlayStation (if its a 3) can take advantage of HDMI now! A switch box may be needed later to accomodate more HDMI devides like DVD players, AV receivers, and HD players. Whether we like it or not, everything is going digital so you might as well plan for it.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I use a NEC-6010 switcher to run everything to my projector. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't do DVI or HDMI, not a big deal with my projectors though. You can find these switchers on eBay.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
so the signal that goes over a single RCA video wire is called composite rca? What is the best way to convert VGA into RCA composite so it can be sent thru the switch and up the long RCA video cable to the projector?

I see alot of RCA Component(three wire) but i don't think that is what i want

adam613

Agent
Real Name
Adam
Answers to your terminology questions:

The one-wire RCA video connection is called composite. It s...well, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. S-Video is a much better one-wire alternative.

The three-wire RCA video connections is called component.

You can get adapters to convert a VGA signal to component, composite, or S-Video. Component supports HDTV resolutions; composite and S-Video don't. Component will also get you better quality than composite or S-Video at SDTV resolution.

Keep in mind that this is not a home theater projector. It has a native resolution of 800x600, and likely won't look good with 480i television. It also only has one VGA input, so you'd need a VGA switch to get multiple HD inputs. That said, if you have your heart set on this setup, I'd do the following:

Run a long VGA cable from the computer to the projector. Use the computer to play DVDs.
Get an S-Video cable for the PS2, and connect that to the projector's S-Video port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks