What's new

"You're going to hate that movie." - subtitles/captions (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I got that from the mangler... er... manager at my local Big Chain Video Place. I was renting Babel.

Why did she say it?

"Nothing's in English - you have to read everything!"

(and I'm not even gonna state the obvious about the theme of the flick...)

Welp, my girlfriend's kinda sorta really deaf (but she still loves the 4 15" subs and the transducers under the sofa in Bogie's Bunker!), and captioning is pretty much a necessity.

So... Is there a database of flicks that are captioned? It's a downer for her if I bring something home, and it isn't...

That, and it'd be really nice if they got a bit more intelligent with HOW they caption them...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You may also want to steer clear of any early Anchor Bay titles, as almost none of them have subtitles in any language.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sony still doesn't subtitle most extra features, although pretty much every film has them.

Some Sony Pictures Classics titles lack subtitles as well. No idea why. (They may have closed captions, though.)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
About captioning and subtitles, I have noticed on a lot of subtitle tracks music lyrics do not appear but on a number of captioning tracks they do, even on some that have both available. I guess this may be part of the music rights/clearance issue of putting the lyrics out there but when it is missing I keep thinking this is hurting the film for someone that is suppose to benefit from this addition that should be required.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Agreed.

There are a lot of people at this forum who are in the same boat as the OP: captions/subtitles are important.

But the number of responses will clearly be limited because those in-the-know may never peek into this thread due to its title.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I absolutely HATE that. Sometimes the lyrics are important to the story, and I wonder how people who rely entirely on the subtitles are supposed to follow it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As someone who appreciates captions for a different reason entirely i.e. trying to follow the storyline in a noisy household, I think that studios should really pay more attention to how they add subtitle streams to titles. Hearing loss is not going to go away anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks