-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"You're going to hate that movie." - subtitles/captions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted May 07 2007 - 03:03 PM

I got that from the mangler... er... manager at my local Big Chain Video Place. I was renting Babel.

Why did she say it?

"Nothing's in English - you have to read everything!"

(and I'm not even gonna state the obvious about the theme of the flick...)

Welp, my girlfriend's kinda sorta really deaf (but she still loves the 4 15" subs and the transducers under the sofa in Bogie's Bunker!), and captioning is pretty much a necessity.

So... Is there a database of flicks that are captioned? It's a downer for her if I bring something home, and it isn't...

That, and it'd be really nice if they got a bit more intelligent with HOW they caption them...

#2 of 9 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 12:27 AM

You might try dvd-subtitles.com. Oh wait, they're British, so pay attention to the Region coding.

#3 of 9 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 08 2007 - 03:26 AM

You may also want to steer clear of any early Anchor Bay titles, as almost none of them have subtitles in any language.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 9 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 08 2007 - 08:46 AM

Sony still doesn't subtitle most extra features, although pretty much every film has them.

Some Sony Pictures Classics titles lack subtitles as well. No idea why. (They may have closed captions, though.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 9 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 09 2007 - 01:30 AM

About captioning and subtitles, I have noticed on a lot of subtitle tracks music lyrics do not appear but on a number of captioning tracks they do, even on some that have both available. I guess this may be part of the music rights/clearance issue of putting the lyrics out there but when it is missing I keep thinking this is hurting the film for someone that is suppose to benefit from this addition that should be required.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#6 of 9 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 01:59 AM

I think this thread could use a new title.

#7 of 9 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,066 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 09 2007 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyErwin
I think this thread could use a new title.

Agreed.

There are a lot of people at this forum who are in the same boat as the OP: captions/subtitles are important.

But the number of responses will clearly be limited because those in-the-know may never peek into this thread due to its title.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 9 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 09 2007 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory
About captioning and subtitles, I have noticed on a lot of subtitle tracks music lyrics do not appear but on a number of captioning tracks they do, even on some that have both available. I guess this may be part of the music rights/clearance issue of putting the lyrics out there but when it is missing I keep thinking this is hurting the film for someone that is suppose to benefit from this addition that should be required.

I absolutely HATE that. Sometimes the lyrics are important to the story, and I wonder how people who rely entirely on the subtitles are supposed to follow it.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 9 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 09 2007 - 07:04 AM

As someone who appreciates captions for a different reason entirely i.e. trying to follow the storyline in a noisy household, I think that studios should really pay more attention to how they add subtitle streams to titles. Hearing loss is not going to go away anytime soon.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Forum Nav Content I Follow