What's new

widescreen THE FAR COUNTRY restoration ... (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
... airs tonight on TCM. This will be the second time they've shown the widescreen version. The DVD is full screen. Evidently Universal has done some restoration work on this classic Anthony Mann western. Does this mean it might be re-released on DVD in the correct aspect ratio?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It has been released in Widescreen on DVD in Region 2. What restoration work is evident from the widescreen version? The TCM widescreen version looks to be pretty similar in character to the open matte version, with a smidgen more information on the sides.

Regards,

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

I assumed it was restored to some degree because it was in widescreen and had a softer look than my region 1 DVD, but I could be wrong. I only saw the last 20 minutes or so the last time TCM aired it. I had never seen it in widescreen before although I've known the film all my life. So I will watch attentively tonight.

Thanks for your input.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Spain?

Well, now I know where to look for it.

Many thanks.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
No problem. I believe Gary Tooze did a screencap comparison with the R1 edition over at his DVD Beaver site, too.

Regards,

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Perhaps a digital rather than optical clean-up.
It looks good but not quite like it used to.
It's definitely been given the linoleum treatment.

I recorded it last night and watched it today.
The composition of the film does benefit from slight letterboxing, although I thought the aspect ratio would be wider.
I hope Universal will consider releasing the Linoleum Edition stateside for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks