What's new

International European DVD Review: WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Notes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (1962)

LABEL: 30 Holding COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Italy REGION: 2, PAL ASPECT RATIO: 2.35:1 C/BW: Color SOUND: English 2.0 Mono (!) Running Time: 124 m (with PAL speed-up) Subtitles: English. HD BONUS MATERIAL: Zip. CHAPTERS: 12

Now that this film is the very last remaining true Cinerama title not to have been restored and released on Blu-ray in the "Smilebox" format, GRIMM has become even more desirable. It has been said that this film would require a great deal of work to prepare for Blu-ray, and so far, apparently, Warner Bros. is not willing to expend the time or expense, At this moment, the film has not been released on video since the laser disc days.

But I came across this Italian DVD for sale, and decided to take a chance. Maybe it would look at least as good as it does when shown on TCM.

It doesn't. It's a disaster. Avoid at all costs.

Titled AVVENTURA NELLA FANTASIA in Italy, this transfer looks as though it was copied (without even an up-convert) from a widescreen VHS copy. It is loaded with aliasing, is blurry, and has weak color. And the sound is MONO!

There is absolutely no reason to own this once you have been forewarned! But for the record, in case you are still intent on buying this (following my self-sacrificial purchase), the Italian soundtrack and English subs are default, but can be removed/changed.

Godawful, and recommended only to the most extreme fans of this film who can't be without even a terrible facsimile of it.

This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It's probably just a DVD copy of the laserdisc in non anamorphic format.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Disappointing to say the least! Oh well, it comes around on TCM often enough.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
bigshot said:
It's probably just a DVD copy of the laserdisc in non anamorphic format.
Well, I transferred many a laser disc to DVD, and not too many of them look remotely as bad as this. But, maybe. I haven't the laser disc anymore for a comparison of prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks