-

Photo
- - - - -

Question from newbie on sound

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 MB149

MB149

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 11 2007 - 08:31 AM

I just replaced an old pioneer theater in a box for our den which is where we watch most of our TV, with a Yamaha RXV 361 Reciever and matched up with klipsch synergyIII F2 for the front and a klipsch synergy III C2 as the middle speaker and an older sony powered sub.

I have noticed that we have to turn the volume up much louder when we are watching a TV program, especially in HD, than we do when we are watching a DVD.

Is this normal? The old system was real loud no matter what.
Thanks,
MB149

#2 of 6 MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted April 12 2007 - 02:25 AM

does the volume go to 11?
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#3 of 6 Glen B

Glen B

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 12 2007 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB149
I have noticed that we have to turn the volume up much louder when we are watching a TV program, especially in HD, than we do when we are watching a DVD. Is this normal? The old system was real loud no matter what.
Thanks,
MB149

I think you are experiencing the effects to two things - differences in signal level of the two sources and differences in volume control "taper" between the old HTIB and new receiver. To spell it out in "layman" terms, in the old system the volume control was more sensitive in the earlier part of its range. In the new system, the receiver's volume control sensitivity is more gradual. This does not mean the new receiver is less powerful, all it means is that you need to turn the volume control to a higher position than what you were previously accustomed, to achieve the same loudness level. Volume is louder with the DVD player than TV because the audio signal output level from the DVD player is higher than that of the TV.

#4 of 6 MB149

MB149

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted April 12 2007 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, for the information. BTW, I returned the Yamaha reciever to swap out for more of a mid level instead of the bottom level. I went with Pioneer. The "scene" buttons were not user friendly on the Yamaha. I could never get the sound fields to work well.

#5 of 6 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,551 posts

Posted April 12 2007 - 10:13 AM

I recommend not using sound fields to begin with. They just confuse things. Get everything running well with plain old surround, then, if you want, try out sound field modes.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 6 Guy Usher

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

• 780 posts

Posted April 14 2007 - 06:56 AM

If you are using a cable box/DVR double your audio settings there too. . .I was having a huge difference between digital and analog audio then HD channels were different as well. . .Went in checked it out made a few changes now its more 'normal'. . .
Even Monkeys fall from trees.