Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking to buy a cheap popcorn machine.. what would you guys recommend?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Vasant56

Vasant56

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 10:46 AM

Hi, I'm looking for a cheap movie style popcorn maker (mabye around $100), I heard of the 2oz Kettle Popcorn Maker(amazon.com/Kettle-Popcorn-Maker-Popper-Machine/dp/B000FSQF1A), and it looks ok, but do you guys have any opinions of it? I was worried how much popcorn it would make. How much is 2 ounces? Do you guys have any other recommendations for other popcorn machines? I want one that makes the same popcorn as in the movie theatres.

Thanks a bunch

#2 of 9 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 10:29 PM

Don't most places buy the popcorn in giant bags and pour it in then pour on some butter flavored oil?

#3 of 9 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai
Don't most places buy the popcorn in giant bags and pour it in then pour on some butter flavored oil?
I don't think so. Some places do, particularly the "Multiplex" chain, but I think most places pop it. The difference in volume between popped and unpopped popcorn make shipping a very expensive proposition for "pre-popped bags" compared to kernels.

I can't help with the popcorn machine. I've got one that's commonly sold, it's red with a light and tiltable bucket. It looks great as a prop but it doesn't make very good popcorn. IMO the best home popcorn machine is a microwave oven.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 9 Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 11:57 PM

I saw one at Sam's club but its $200. Don't know if u can swing that. I have a popcorn machine which I got for $400 with the cart. I have to disagree with Phillip though. Everyone who's tried our popcorn here says its the best they ever ate...like in the movie houses. I can never return to microwave popcorn.

#5 of 9 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Samonte
I saw one at Sam's club but its $200. Don't know if u can swing that. I have a popcorn machine which I got for $400 with the cart. I have to disagree with Phillip though. Everyone who's tried our popcorn here says its the best they ever ate...like in the movie houses. I can never return to microwave popcorn.
That's not the one I'm talking about. This is the one I have and I haven't been very happy with it so far. I've only used the "Orville Reddenbacher" oil from the grocery store, however, I just ordered some "Snap-Packs" and Coconut oil from Snappy Popcorn so maybe I can get some good corn after all.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#6 of 9 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 25 2007 - 10:34 AM

Oh, yea. The snap-packs do it. 100% perfect authentic movie theater popcorn. Amazingly wonderful tasting and they make my whole basement smell like the movies. Love them!!!!!

The key is the coconut oil.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#7 of 9 Gil Clark

Gil Clark

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 13 2008 - 06:29 AM

I've been looking to get a popcorn maker too but had questiona about the steam or possible splatter. How much is put out and will it affect the placement of the machine, that is, keep away from walls and low ceilings? Will the steam have any affect on walls or ceiling? And what about ventalation in the room as well?

Thanks
Gil

#8 of 9 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,048 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 13 2008 - 10:43 AM

My popcorn maker is called Amy. The popping is done in the kitchen and delivered to me in the theater along with a refreshing beverage. The cost was free in the beginning but the upkeep is pretty high. In the last year it has cost me a new car and a diamond ring.

-Robert

#9 of 9 John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J
My popcorn maker is called Amy. The popping is done in the kitchen and delivered to me in the theater along with a refreshing beverage. The cost was free in the beginning but the upkeep is pretty high. In the last year it has cost me a new car and a diamond ring.

-Robert

That is hysterical! Thanks for my laugh of the day. Posted Image

If you really want to "cheap out", for about $25 you could get the "Whirly Pop" stove-top popper or the "Stir Crazy" electric for about $40. Both work great with "Mega-Pop" pre-packaged popcorn packs.

I love my Whirly Pop due to the fact that I do not have room for a full sized machine yet. Posted Image
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow