What's new

77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6 (1 Viewer)

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Any news on the shows being released to DVD? Also who owns the rights currently?
Thanks

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Warner Brothers has the rights; I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to release these unless WB decides to go the licensing route.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Interestingly, Nick at Nite, did show an episode from each of these series last year as part of a Warner Bros. 75th Anniversary weekend marathon.

77 Sunset Strip was way more cheesy looking than I expected (and recalled) it being... :eek:

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You know, as for those Warner Bros. shows of the late 50s, early 60s. They'd only have to release ONE and we'd have them all, because I heard they all used the same scripts with just the setting and the characters' names changed. Really!

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
A few months ago I saw several episodes "Hawaiian Eye" and "77 Sunset Strip" on the AmericanLife TV channel.
This is an obscure channel, carried only by a few cable companies right now and mostly seen by owners of BIG satellite dishes, of which I'm one. AmericanLife aires many TV classics.
The prints of "77" and "Hawaiian" looked to be from the original 35mm masters, as they were clear and sharp. Since Warners has apparently "restored" these shows, maybe a future DVD release is in the not too distant future.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I watched gobs of those WB detective shows on Goodlife/AmericanLife, before the channel was unceremoniously dumped from my cable. At first, I was rather aghast at their cookie-cutter, assembly-line nature (not to mention scripts, which often seemed retreads of old 30s/40s b-flicks at times). But, once I got accustomed to them, they did make for breezy, likeable time-killers. I can't deny I genuinely missed seeing them after my cable-company severed my access to the network. Even though they hardly represent my top wants for vintage-tv releases on dvd, I'd definately purchase sets, were they to be made available.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I really like Hawaiian Eye the best of that group, mainly because of Connie Stevens who enlivens the show. While there are pretty girl regulars in all of the series, she's the only one that seemed to be given something to do besides decorate the set.

BTW, you left out Bourbon Street Beat, the 4th of the detective quartet.

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
Of all the old tv shows these are my favorites along with Adventures in Paradise. I know both my brother and I would snap these up immediately. Come on WB let's get with the program. I can't wait to give you my money for these shows.

Real Name
Jon Sieruga
"Sunset Strip" looks great on AmericanLife TV, ditto "Hawaiian Eye". At first I didn't like the claustrophobic sets, but the scripts aren't bad and both casts look terrific in the sharp '60's wardrobe. Last week (don't laugh) when Kookie had his car rammed by a lady who had just mowed down a couple in the street (and was trying to cover up for the marks on her car) was really tense!! :laugh:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As of July 1 American Life has stopped showing Hawaiian Eye and Surfside 6.
They are being replaced by MTM shows like Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart (Bob Newart Show and Newhart) and WKRP .

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

That makes me feel slightly better about not having the channel now. I wouldn't be interested in watching the replacements, seeing as how they have some dvd releases and have been on major stations recently as opposed to the WB shows that are now on their way out.

Gary "still, I wish I had had access to American Life for the last several years - my homemade dvd collection would be much stronger at this point" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks