Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

which toshiba hd player??


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 raymond caputo

raymond caputo

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 106 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 16 2003

Posted January 31 2007 - 09:54 AM

i have a pioneer sd582 hd tv with component video..i also have a lexicon mc-8 receiver with component video..i am wondering which is the best toshiba hd player for my setup?? i currently have a toshiba sd9200 dvd player that i will still us for playing cd's and dvd audios...i also have directv satelite...thanks for any help guys!!

#2 of 10 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

    Executive Producer

  • 14,600 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 20 1999
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 02 2007 - 06:36 PM

Do you have a 1080i or 1080p display? Their 1080i model is $499, their HDMI 1.3 1080P model is $899-999. If you have an XBOX 360 the add on is only $200, but it doesn't support lossless audio.

#3 of 10 ericJed

ericJed

    Agent

  • 33 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2006

Posted February 03 2007 - 01:18 PM

I have a 720/1080i LCD set and own the Toshiba A2. Great great HD player. I took the 360 add on back after six movies and haven't looked back. The lossless audio is great ,Using HDMI threw a AV receiver of course. If you want the better audio and dont have a HDMI AV receiver,then go with the XA2 ( $900-1000) with the 5.1 pre-outs.
May the force be with you.
HDDVD Supporter , Blu-Ray Lover
Indianapolis Colts 2007 NFL CHAMPS
Peyton Manning MVP

#4 of 10 raymond caputo

raymond caputo

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 106 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 16 2003

Posted February 04 2007 - 03:42 PM

i don't want to drop $900 bucks right now...i understand the a1 also has the 5.1 pre-outs...is this an option for my setup??

#5 of 10 ericJed

ericJed

    Agent

  • 33 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2006

Posted February 05 2007 - 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond caputo
i don't want to drop $900 bucks right now...i understand the a1 also has the 5.1 pre-outs...is this an option for my setup??
Sure. Id wait untill about May to see is the others go on clearance , I think Toshiba will have another unit out then. BTW Amazon has it for $409.00 but Id still wait.
May the force be with you.
HDDVD Supporter , Blu-Ray Lover
Indianapolis Colts 2007 NFL CHAMPS
Peyton Manning MVP

#6 of 10 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter

  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted February 05 2007 - 02:56 AM

Question. I am confused about the XA2. Does it do 1080p out-of-the-box? I thought I read a thread were it was said that the XA2 only does 1080i currently, and is supposed to do 1080p via an upcoming firmware update.

Thanks.

Edited to add:

Nevermind. I see that the thread that was the source of my confusion has been updated to add that the XA2 does 1080p/60fps out-of-the-box, and it will do 1080p/24fps via a firmware update.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 10 Seth=L

Seth=L

    Screenwriter

  • 1,313 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 17 2006

Posted February 05 2007 - 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Question. I am confused about the XA2. Does it do 1080p out-of-the-box? I thought I read a thread were it was said that the XA2 only does 1080i currently, and is supposed to do 1080p via an upcoming firmware update.

Thanks.

Edited to add:

Nevermind. I see that the thread that was the source of my confusion has been updated to add that the XA2 does 1080p/60fps out-of-the-box, and it will do 1080p/24fps via a firmware update.
How would 24fps be an upgrade from 60fps?

#8 of 10 Seth=L

Seth=L

    Screenwriter

  • 1,313 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 17 2006

Posted February 05 2007 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond caputo
i have a pioneer sd582 hd tv with component video..i also have a lexicon mc-8 receiver with component video..i am wondering which is the best toshiba hd player for my setup?? i currently have a toshiba sd9200 dvd player that i will still us for playing cd's and dvd audios...i also have directv satelite...thanks for any help guys!!
That Toshiba SD-9200 is an excellent DVD player, and from what I hear a pretty good DVD-Audio player as well. I own the predecesor SD-9000, their first flagship player.

#9 of 10 ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

    Second Unit

  • 298 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 05 2003

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:04 AM

I'm trying to decide between the A1 or the A2 (+$30).

Biggest determining factor is in SD upconversion quality.

Any input there? I can pick up the A1 locally very cheap or send away for a good price on the A2.

#10 of 10 Thomas W

Thomas W

    Agent

  • 42 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 29 2001

Posted February 05 2007 - 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth=L
How would 24fps be an upgrade from 60fps?

At 60fps it must do the 3:2 conversion from film based sources. At 24fps it doesn't have to convert. 24fps is the original fps speed of film.


Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices



Forum Nav Content I Follow