Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wii News Channel arrives

Nintendo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 04:36 AM

Last Saturday the Wii News Channel went "live" and it is an interesting addition to an already innovative console. Yes, you can get your news fix from a variety of sources but the fact that it is a couple of clicks away while you are gaming makes it attractive to me. Add to that the fact that the interface is sort of a "Google Earth meets CNN" and it's another reason why Nintendo is showing the world that it's more than just about the pixels and the audio.

A nice enhancement, IMHO.

I've noticed that there are still some growing pains with the channel but things will get better over time. It's very functional right now but I had to smile when a news item involving Ghent, West Virginia showed up on the global map as being close to Warsaw, Poland. I guess someone on the team has to revisit Geography 101!

Posted Image Posted Image

My two Ghents.

Posted Image

RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#2 of 5 CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 05:05 AM

I checked this out. It's definatly cool, but I'm not sure I'll use it a lot. On a strange note, The first article I checked out was the formal announcement of the "Wii News Channel" on the wii news channel, then I read some stuff about PS3 launch in Japan. Is that bad?

#3 of 5 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyL
On a strange note, The first article I checked out was the formal announcement of the "Wii News Channel" on the wii news channel, then I read some stuff about PS3 launch in Japan. Is that bad?

Not based on the apparent demand for the Wii vs. the PS3.

Posted Image Posted Image
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#4 of 5 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,436 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 09:05 AM

I've checked the news channel out many times since I received my Wii, and I really like it.
The main news I check for is Arts/Entertainment.

I also like it how you can check by the globe and just scan across different city/states to see what news is being offered to read.

great feature!!

all-banner.jpg

#5 of 5 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 10:59 AM

I usually also read the sports headlines and I would like to see a compilation of all the previous day/night's scores (maybe that's coming since this is a bit of a lull)? Also, the global nature of the interface might mean that Wii would have to cover sports from around the world. I don't think that this would necessarily be a bad thing (and quite informative), but maybe this would involve so much real estate that it can't be implemented at present.

Time will tell.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]