What's new

Nintendo Wii..... (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Nintendo doesn't want to ramp up production, which might mean creating new factories, which would add to costs. They're just using whatever factories they already have.

Crutchfield will have a limited number of Wii bundles this Wednesday from 12 noon to 12:15 pm Eastern Time by phone order only. Details here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bg47OWQ...?offerid=22163

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Hey all...
Just got a Wii for my daughter's birthday present and I was going to show her the original super mario bros. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that I can "buy" the game using the built-in wireless. I have it set up for the wii weather and news channel so I know the wireless is working properly.
Anyone know if this is true and how I go about doing this?

BTW, Excite Truck is a blast. I've already gotten to the super excite level after owning it about 10 days. I think that is pretty good!
Super Paper Mario is fun but harder than I thought it would be. My daughter, who is 8, didn't like it much.
I agree with the others about wii sports. It is so much fun. My daughter and I are having a great time with the various games doing tournaments and stuff.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I bought one a week ago. The Wii store didn't appear until a day or two after, so just give it some time.

~T

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Well, I was in my local Wal-Mart picking up baby formula and decided to walk back to electronics and take a look around. My eyes drifted over to the Wii section and something I hadn't seen before in the display case caught my eye. A Wii!!!! Unfortunately, my extra spending money for this month is going to pay hospital bills for our baby's birth so I couldn't grab it. :frowning:

Maybe next time,

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

Yes, just get the wireless going and do an software update so you have access to the store. I think you might also need the classic controller to play mario brothers though?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Getting games like Super Mario Bros.: access the "Wii Store" channel (which should appear on your Wii menu by default) from the main menu. Once you've logged into the store, go into the "Virtual Console" section. All the downloadable games are in there.

Dave, when I got my Wii, I bought an extra Nunchuck and the "Wii Play" game, which comes with an extra wiimote. This way I have two nunchucks and two remotes, which guarantees you'll be able to do 2-player cooperative with games that require both (like the great tank game in Wii play). The "Wii Play" package is only ten dollars more than buying a wiimote by itself, and it comes with some great two-player games.

You do NOT need the classic controller to play NES games (500 points each, approx. $5) ... you can play all NES games with the wiimote. However, I do recommend getting a classic controller if you plan on buying any games for the N64, Genesis, Super Nintendo, or (soon) Neo-Geo...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a GameCube, and I understand I can use those controllers in a Wii. That should be pretty good for classic games.

However, the wife is not waffling on whether we want a Wii. I need to do a demo at a friend's to see if she likes it. (I'm ambivalent. After the N64 and GameCube, I'm a bit bored with Nintendo's games. But I really enjoy co-op Lego Star Wars II with my wife.)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
When I finally get a Wii, I'm just going to buy a Wavebird or two to use for NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube games. Hopefully that will keep the controller clutter down.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Todd:

From a couple posts I've read online the Wavebird is in short supply. If you find some, you may want to buy those NOW in advance of your Wii purchase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the earlier comments on the Wii. I stopped into Circuit City this morning with the wife so she could demo the Wii. She had a positive but muted impression. We both like it. But neither so much as to be eager to drop $350 on such a toy.

I'm disappointed with the mediocre graphics (yes, gameplay is king, but graphics matter) and a sense that Nintendo no longer makes the games I really want. I've been disappointed by the GameCube selection compared to the XBox.

She enjoyed it, but didn't feel that it offered enough more than our GameCube options.

I think if it were $250 for the system with 2 controllers and two games, I'd be sold. But it's really $350 + tax for what I consider the basic setup, and that pushes outside the expensive-splurge range for now.

Perhaps I can borrow my friend's later this year and see if further play changes our opinion.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Sweet. Nintendo's newest Wii firmware allows any USB Keyboard to work.. I've tried four (Logitech, AD, Microsoft & a Belkin) all went on without a hitch. Nice addition :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The graphics are going to be mediocre outside of Nintendo first party offerings. Actually, the games themselves outside of Nintendo first party are mediocre. Resident Evil 4 is the only exception. The game to check out is definitely Metroid Prime 3 for both graphics and gameplay. After playing with the nunchuk and pointer, dual analog will feel quite primitive.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I finally got a Wii (the last one) at my local Wal-Mart. Also picked up the last remaining Wavebird while I was at it. Unfortunately, I can't open it until Christmas (gift from my wife).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Walmart's website is selling design-your-own Wii bundles in the $600+ range. You get the system and your choice of stuff from lists of accessories and games. I didn't really examine it since I'm not in the market right now, but those who are might want to check it out.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

Not a very good deal. If you add up what you get, there is no savings over just buying the parts alone.

I wonder if this is the only way Wal-mart sells the Wii online? Just as this bundle? That would be quite the racket to sell other stuff.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Anyone played Super Mario Galaxy yet? If you love 3D platformers then I suspect this will be one of the best games you've ever played. Also, it is a great game if you have children because a second player can move the cursor around on the screen and even freeze enemies and shoot star bits at the screen.

SMG is a much better game than Mario Sunshine, for those of you disappointed in that title. This is more a spiritual sequel to Mario 64. Although Mario 64 was more groundbreaking, this is actually a much better game. Even the music is outstanding.

This is definitely the best game available for the Wii right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks