Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Planning for 7.1 or 5.1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 07:05 AM

We are begining the remodel of the theater room and I'm not sure if I should wire for 7.1 or 5.1. Currently I'm using a Yamaha A-1 (5.1) but at some point I'll move that to the living room and it seems everything these days is 7.1. Right now my effects are bi/di-poles on the side but I'm thinking of switching to monopoles. The room is 13'2" wide will be either 28'6" or 27' deep (depending on if I construct a false wall in the front to house an IB sub) and 7' high. Down the right side of the room runs an air duct making the ceiling about 6'6" for about 18" into the room. There is a door on the back wall to the left of the air duct, so maybe I should consider just doing 6.1 becase the right speaker would have to be about center. The seating position is going to range from about 10'-18' back. So with all that rambling background the question is; should I wire for the rear channel even though it would be between 10 and 20' behind the seating position? Would the rear channel be lost that far back? Is it even worth it and should I just stick the 5.1? Thanks for all the advice! Brad

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   DrJ 1

DrJ 1

• 7 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 07:53 AM

Why are you planning to change the Bipolar side surrounds. It is my understanding, this would me more benefitial for surround effects and mono polar. I've had bipolar for both my side and rear surrounds for years, and they fill the room. ARJ

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted January 10 2007 - 12:32 PM

I'm thinking about it because I've heard Yamaha recomends monopoles with their DSPs. Also, my bi-poles are white and when we repaint I think a black speaker will hide better, (I know dumb reason) but I'm still undecided. But that is a decision I can make anytime, the 7.1/5.1 is the one I'd like to make before I finish the sheetrock. Thanks! Brad

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted January 11 2007 - 03:45 AM

I would wire for 6.1 or 7.1 - it's a lot easier before the walls go in If you want to shorten the room with a couch in the middle, you could wire for in ceiling speakers - and maybe a projector hookup as well
HD DVD in the house

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted January 12 2007 - 03:17 AM

Thanks- Planning the projector and a couch will be in the middle to create a viewing area. I was just concered that at 10 behind the viewing area would be to far for the speakers to be effective. Thanks!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

• 4,791 posts

Posted January 14 2007 - 07:20 AM

Absolutely over-plan. Wire is very cheap. Running wire once the walls are done later on is a big pain. If you can, it's even better to run large conduits that way you can pull wire in the future much more easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users