Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Question about resolving a ground loop...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted January 02 2007 - 04:16 PM

Hiya, Ever since hooking up my PS3 I've had a problem with a ground loop thanks to it having a grounded power plug and my digital cable box going to the TV. Now, I can't move to a different outlet as I've tried that and I'm in an apartment. Now I know I can get a surge supressor/protector with Coax support for the cable box and that should resolve it, however I already have more surge protectors than I need. I will do that if I have to, but my question is that if I buy some really good heavily shielded AV cables for the cable box, will that be enough to shield the TV from the ground loop?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Nick:G

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted January 03 2007 - 09:14 AM

Upgraded cables will not remove a ground loop. What you need to do is go to Radio Shack and buy a "ground loop isolator". They're inexpensive and work wonders.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 03 2007 - 10:00 AM

It is called an Isolation Transformer. It does not solve the problem, which is that your cable is not properly grounded, but it will stop the hum. You should call the cable company and tell them that this is happening and they should fix it (at the incoming box). A surge suppressor with coax will not solve this.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users