What's new

Criterion to release Huston's 'Under the Volcano' & 'Robinson Crusoe on Mars' 2007 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From Criterion, here:

"...we’re already looking forward to what 2007 will bring. There are many treasures in store for the new year, including some of our latest acquisitions, such as John Huston’s Under the Volcano, and titles from our laserdisc days, like Robinson Crusoe on Mars."

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttt??? ???????????

Robinson Crusoe on Mars?

Robinson Crusoe on Mars?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Fantastic news!!!!

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
One more Holy Grail release gets checked off the list. Thank you, Criterion! I thought we'd never see "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" on DVD.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps during the past few years Paramount has been sitting on RCOM because there were talks between them and Criterion to negotiate the rights of the LD materials to release on DVD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Shame they didn't bother to try getting Criterion's It's A Wonderful Life commentary then.

ted:r

Second Unit
I seem to be a minority, but I'm happy for "Under The Volcano", a film I've long wanted to see.

It would be grand if Criterion could get their hands on the other missing Hustons: The Dead, All 3 war documentaries, Freud, Wise Blood, and, of course, The African Queen...

Sigh. I'm dreaming too much, aren't I?

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Oh man, this is awesome news about RCOM!!! This is the last of my most wanted films to be released. Excellent!!!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It's about time for RCOM!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I wonder how Criterion got the rights to sell it back from Paramount? Maybe a little arm twisting? ;) I glad it will be Criterion, since it would have been just a bare bones release fron Paramount. :thumbsdown:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I heard rumblings of a Criterion of Crusoe, but I sceptical - great to have a solid confirmation. Being a huge Huston and Burton fan, having a Criterion of the flawed but incredibly fascinating Under the Volcano was something I never thought I'd see - brilliant news!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
So, after all these years and after all the double-talk from Paramount, we see that it is The Criterion Collection that will be releasing Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Finally.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Maybe I will see my dream of a Criterion Koyaanisqatsi fulfilled within my lifetime if these announcements keep comming.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Great news about Robinson Crusoe..., thanks, John!

I missed out on the laserdisc, and have been waiting impatiently for more than a decade for a decent copy in its original ratio!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
There may be even more good news in 2007:
---
Jules and Jim and Walkabout Back on the Big Screen
New 35mm prints of two classic Janus films, struck on the occasion of the company’s fiftieth anniversary, are being given weeklong runs this month at New York’s Film Forum. First, starting on Friday, December 15, enjoy François Truffaut’s definitive love triangle classic Jules and Jim, and then, starting on Friday, December 22, catch the stunning widescreen vistas of Nicolas Roeg’s outback adventure Walkabout. Go to Film Forum’s website for showtimes and other details.
---
Would love to see a restored, 16x9 enhanced reissue of Walkabout

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks