What's new

Criterion to release Huston's 'Under the Volcano' & 'Robinson Crusoe on Mars' 2007 (1 Viewer)

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
Do you remember the sausage plants? :D The LD has some great art galleries with detailed drawings of all the props. I hope Criterion includes all the extras with the DVD release. RCOM is the best alternate telling of a classic ever!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'd take a movie only edition for $15 any day over a $30 edition full of extra 'features' I may watch one time, assuming the picture and sound quality are comparable. When you've got hundreds of movies on DVD you barely have time to watch them, much less all the extras.

Even though I'd like to get RCOM, I think I'm going to pass on it because I'm not spending $30 on another Criterion when I can probably get the same movie from Universal or Paramount in a couple of years for $10.

---------------

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
That's what I thought about The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels too, until recently. That was $60 I could have saved.

---------------

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It may not be licensed from Paramount, as the film was poduced solely by Devonshire Productions, aka Aubrey Schenck Productions (Aubrey Schenck was also the producer of the film). Paramount distributed in 1964 and later on VHS, but perhaps after licensing the film from Aubrey Schenck or his Estate - and the same may have been the case with the Criterion Laserdisc and only now has Criterion managed to negotiate a fair price with Aubrey Schenck's Estate and also in accessing the original camera negative or interpositives from Paramount. I myself am not about to jump to the conclusion that Criterion licensed the film directly and solely from Paramount and that Criterion will license more titles from Paramount in the future.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Those were released by Universal. BIG difference. I think that Paramount's video department is run by people with no interest in older films.

In any event, you got two of Criterion's best DVDs in The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels. I sure am happy to have gotten those extras!

Ted

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, it is strange, and it makes me even more sure that Paramount do not own the film outright - or at least that they always have, ie. that Aubry's Estate owns the film, but that Paramount hold and preserve the prime film and audio elements.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz

They got it, I think it's a July release, just got info on it today and I don't have the sheet handy but Criterion is releasing IF... and those good ole Paramount logos are there. Looks like we can expect some other Paramount titles to now get super deluxe treatment through Criterion.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The LD had a beautiful gatefold cover. I had my LD copy signed by Mantee when they showed a newly restruck print at the Egyptian Theatre about 5 years ago.

I don't need any extras...just the movie...in HD, if Criterion will just get off the fence and put it out. I sure as hell ain't going to triple dip!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

are you asking when its coming, or what it is?

And if you don't know what RCOM is, I ain't telling ya :)

(I'll give you a hint though- it's like UTV)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Oh I know exactly what it is. The ? mark was meant ask when Criterion will release the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks