Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

HDTV Connector Compatibility...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

• 1,224 posts

Posted December 02 2006 - 08:38 AM

Okay, I'm jumping into the world of HDTV (at last) and High Definition DVRs.

After a terrible experience with satellite service (of which I won't go into here) I'll be getting HDTV from my local cable company. However, I have a problem. I'm noticing that the connectors on the DVR and my Toshiba 42H83 do NOT seem to match. But, they both state they're DVI. The connector on my TV is DVI/HDCP. Only problem: the company doesn't seem to know whether or not it's DVI-I, DVI-D, or whatever cable it's supposed to be. The manual doesn't really help much - it just says it's DVI. So, there doesn't seem to be a match between the cables (which will present a problem when they come to install them on the 16th)...

Usually in technical situations such as this I tend to reign supreme, but this connector has me stumped. I know I should be able to decipher what I need to do, but I've been out of the market a little bit and I'll need some help. So, will the new DVR be compatible or will I have to get a newer TV (of which I am not against...hehehe) with a compatible connector? Is the DVI/HDCP connector (and any type of compatible cables) completely extinct?

Here's a link to the screenshot of the images: Screenshot

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   homthtr

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted December 02 2006 - 06:37 PM

I'd like to hear more about the Satellite. You shouldn't have any problems with satellite. You WILL have problems with cable.

Who was your satellite provider?

You're probably already having a problem with the DVR if the DVR is DVI-I and your TV is DVI-D you might as well stick with component video. DVI-I and DVI-D are all together different. As you will find reading the link above. Run Everything component Video.

Besides HDMI is Replacing DVI all together.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

• 1,224 posts

Posted December 02 2006 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, BTW. Well, with the really bad winds over here, I ended up without a satellite signal permanently. So, the satellite company could not get anybody out until AFTER the weekend. I work full time, so I won't be able to have anybody come out for another week. I figured if I had to wait so long I might as well go cable. I don't want to have to worry about bad weather and have my tv signal go out. I don't want to have to worry about it on an on-going basis. So, I'm going back to cable. Contrast this with absolutely no problems with cable in the past, I figure if I'm going back to cable I might as well go High Def (which is only slightly more per month). I guess I probably should go component. I can live with my X-BOX 360 without component for a couple of months until I get a newer TV with one additional component input. Dishnetwork was my satellite provider, BTW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users