What's new

HDTV Connector Compatibility... (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Okay, I'm jumping into the world of HDTV (at last) and High Definition DVRs.

After a terrible experience with satellite service (of which I won't go into here) I'll be getting HDTV from my local cable company. However, I have a problem. I'm noticing that the connectors on the DVR and my Toshiba 42H83 do NOT seem to match. But, they both state they're DVI. The connector on my TV is DVI/HDCP. Only problem: the company doesn't seem to know whether or not it's DVI-I, DVI-D, or whatever cable it's supposed to be. The manual doesn't really help much - it just says it's DVI. So, there doesn't seem to be a match between the cables (which will present a problem when they come to install them on the 16th)...

Usually in technical situations such as this I tend to reign supreme, but this connector has me stumped. I know I should be able to decipher what I need to do, but I've been out of the market a little bit and I'll need some help. So, will the new DVR be compatible or will I have to get a newer TV (of which I am not against...hehehe) with a compatible connector? Is the DVI/HDCP connector (and any type of compatible cables) completely extinct?

Here's a link to the screenshot of the images: Screenshot

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

I'd like to hear more about the Satellite. You shouldn't have any problems with satellite. You WILL have problems with cable.

Who was your satellite provider?

You're probably already having a problem with the DVR if the DVR is DVI-I and your TV is DVI-D you might as well stick with component video. DVI-I and DVI-D are all together different. As you will find reading the link above. Run Everything component Video.

Besides HDMI is Replacing DVI all together.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply, BTW.

Well, with the really bad winds over here, I ended up without a satellite signal permanently. So, the satellite company could not get anybody out until AFTER the weekend. I work full time, so I won't be able to have anybody come out for another week. I figured if I had to wait so long I might as well go cable. I don't want to have to worry about bad weather and have my tv signal go out. I don't want to have to worry about it on an on-going basis. So, I'm going back to cable.

Contrast this with absolutely no problems with cable in the past, I figure if I'm going back to cable I might as well go High Def (which is only slightly more per month). I guess I probably should go component. I can live with my X-BOX 360 without component for a couple of months until I get a newer TV with one additional component input.

Dishnetwork was my satellite provider, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks