Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone order the Oppo 981 yet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   CoreyAC

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 10:31 AM

Just curious? I plan on ordering one ASAP!!! it looks nice too in all black Posted Image

see it at: www.oppodigital.com won't ship until dec 8th though

it's a 1080p upconvert player

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 01 2006 - 11:21 AM

Looks like it is not ideal for DLP rear projection, and it does not support component video. I guess I'll be keeping my Oppo DV-970HD.

http://www.oppodigit...981hd_comp.html

- Steve

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   cctyu

cctyu

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 04:53 PM

Can you please elaborate on " not ideal for DLP rear projection" and " does not support component video". I too was looking at getting this set based on Oppo's track record, now I'm not sure!! Many Thahks!

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 08:52 PM

* No Component Video (YPbPr/YCbCr) on the DV-981HD model. This model is designed for use with a display device with HDMI or DVI digital video input.

there's no component output jacks at all Posted Image
http://www.oppodigit...81hd_image.html
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Frost

Frost

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 01 2006 - 10:58 PM

OPPO makes some great stuff, no question - with one caveat, and that is with the Faroudja video processing system. It has known macroblocking issues. True Story: As part of a professional calibration being done to my Samsun 42"plasma, I had a brand-new-in-the-box OPPO 971 set up at the same time. Through the HDMI link, the macroblocking during the dark scenes in DVDs was almost unwatchable - it was that pronounced. Switching to component helped alot but then, you don't get the upconverting capability, so what the f***?!?!?

The pro who did the calibration said the Sammy, to a certain extent, was also to blame, but I hadn't had any issues at all with the previous DVD player that was hooked to the Sammy (JVC single disc player) or the OPPO's current replacement, a Sony upconverting player.

I must also point out that OPPO Customer Service is THE ABSOLUTE BEST to deal with, if you have tech issues OR have to send the set back. I can't say the same for the Canadian e-dealer that I bought the unit from.

The OPPO 970 doesn't use the Faroudja, so it's not affected.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   cctyu

cctyu

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 01:38 AM

Ordered one yesterday. Hope its as good as its predecessor. I was initially looking at the Denon. But when the Oppo came in at such an attractive pricing, guess its easy to make the final decision. Next, a tougher challange - Picking a 1080p upconverting receiver with HDMI!!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 02:45 AM

The 981 not having component is no big deal really as the 971 component output was terrible and essentially useless.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   CoreyAC

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted December 04 2006 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
The 981 not having component is no big deal really as the 971 component output was terrible and essentially useless.

it's okay to me...i don't even own any more component cables...

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 04 2006 - 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H

Actually, it is a VERY big deal for those of us who only have component video!

- Steve

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Tim Meader

Tim Meader

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted December 05 2006 - 07:29 AM

But you realize that by using the component on the 971 you are limited to 480i anyway right? The component output on the 971 is essentially useless unless you are planning on merely using it as a stop-gap until you get a DVI/HDMI display.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted December 12 2006 - 08:15 AM

You know, unless things have changed recently, EVERY monitor that utilizes more scan lines than what the dvd format uses already does the upscaling thing.....because it MUST to make sure there are no gaps in the image.

The only reason I can come up with for this popularity of upscaling players is (I guess) that the upscaling is done in the digital domain? Is that correct? FYI: many members here report that their monitor does a better job of upscaling than their upscaling player so "all digital" isn't always better (I don't own an upscaling player myself).

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   MatthewHA

MatthewHA

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost
OPPO makes some great stuff, no question - with one caveat, and that is with the Faroudja video processing system. It has known macroblocking issues. True Story: As part of a professional calibration being done to my Samsun 42"plasma, I had a brand-new-in-the-box OPPO 971 set up at the same time. Through the HDMI link, the macroblocking during the dark scenes in DVDs was almost unwatchable - it was that pronounced. Switching to component helped alot but then, you don't get the upconverting capability, so what the f***?!?!?

The pro who did the calibration said the Sammy, to a certain extent, was also to blame, but I hadn't had any issues at all with the previous DVD player that was hooked to the Sammy (JVC single disc player) or the OPPO's current replacement, a Sony upconverting player.

I must also point out that OPPO Customer Service is THE ABSOLUTE BEST to deal with, if you have tech issues OR have to send the set back. I can't say the same for the Canadian e-dealer that I bought the unit from.

The OPPO 970 doesn't use the Faroudja, so it's not affected.
This is the problem I am having with my Samsung 32" LCD and the SONY upconverting DVD player--I am getting horrid macroblocking/color-banding on the display, whether through HDMI or component inputs. I took one SONY player back and exchanged it for the same model, but the problem is still there. The picture is unwatchable.

I connected a SONY standard pro-scan player to the Samsung and the picture is fine (though not upconverted to 720p).

Is it the Samsung or the SONY?

I have ordered hte Oppo 981 and hopefully the issue will be solved, but if the macroblocking is still there, the Samsung goes back!
And my father dwelt in a tent.

DVD:
http://www.dvdspot.com/member=haruuj

Forum Nav Content I Follow