What's new

Dune HD-DVD reviews? (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I can't say I wasn't disappointed when the HD release was announced without the extended version included as well BUT, I still would like to know how it looks in high def. I guess it got crowded out with all the Nov 28 superman hype. How about it? Anybody get it?

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I guess that was a resounding no.:laugh:
No one bought it?
No one saw it?

OH well, maybe when they do the double dip with the extended version........

Juan L

Agent
Real Name
Juan Leon
Camper,
I got this the day it came out, and I have to agree that this title has been ignored with all the Superman discussion. Dune looks great in hd. Definite improvement over the sd version. It is still a bit soft, probably a limitation of the print, but still has lots of detail. No noise or any other artifacts that I can see. If you don't mind the ommision of the extended version, then this purchase is a no brainer.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I watched it last night. It's excellent. I found myself watching the detail in the amazing indoor sets and costumes with astonishment - and in the fx scenes, contemplating how much effects have improved in the last 20 years or so.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

I think the "forced perspective" shots in DUNE are absolutely seamless and far more effective than a lot of the current CGI stuff. I used to think they really were enormous sets the actors were photographed in, until seeing the featurette on the newer DUNE dvd set where they discuss how the shots were done live in-camera using miniatures and forced perspective. So deceptively simple yet so photorealistic in a way much of the most expensive CGI rarely is...

I'm interested in hearing whether or not Universal cleaned up most of the printed-in dirt during DUNE's myriad opticals for the HD-DVD version. Many of the opticals (including many of the shots of the Fremen with their blue eyes) are very dirty on the standard-def DVD, and some digital dirt removal could've cleaned this up. Did they clean up the optical dirt on the HD version?

Vincent

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Thanks guys, I was afraid I was wrong about the release date!
Glad to hear they improved this version over the SD.

Despite likeing many parts of the extended edition, I feel the theatrical version is a more solid/finished version, in spite of the fact that Lynch didn't get the cut perhaps he wanted at some point.

Hey, where'd you get your copies?

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Vincent, some good news and some bad news. First, the dirt is still present in the optical effects shots. Its never really so bad that it becomes a major distraction, but it is there. Everything else about this transfer is stunning. It is as clear and sharp as you could expect. The disc sports an adequate Dolby digital 5.1 track. I also was bummed at first that this wasn't as complete as the recent SD Special Edition but I have to agree with Camper that the theatrical version is a more solid/finished version and I am happy. Tonight it's "An American Werewolf in London."

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yet another Universal title I'd love to have in HD. Glad to hear it's looking good, especially since it's a title I don't foresee a lot of money being poured into anytime soon, if ever.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I watched "Dune" yesterday. It's a mixed bag. A very good transfer of a problematic film master. The transfer gets high grades from me for not trying silly digital tricks to 'improve' the picture. It looks very film like with little to no EE and no apparent grain processing. Some shots are breathtaking and look like the best shots from last year's transfers (for example a shot in the fight scene Paul-Feyd before the fight starts, showing the emperor etc. looking on). The same scene also shows the very noticeable image degradation in every shot that required opticals. And all shots with blue glowing eyes are opticals. The sfx look mostly dated. Parts of the film master used have on the right side coloring issues (blueish and magenta tints). Many opticals are dirty. There are scratches and spots popping up regularly. These should have been painted out by hand (no global filter!) for a no compromise edition.
Finally the sound was clipping at times.
Transfer 8.5/10
Film master 5/10

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I thought the PQ was certainly acceptable. It is a definite improvement over DVD. The sound is pretty weak with lots of distortion as Michael Hafner pointed out previosuly. It sounded tinny at times, but that could just be the way the master is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks