-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Little Miss Sunshine to street 12/19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 of 64 Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 418 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted October 31 2006 - 03:26 PM

Davis DVD and DVD Active both have the news that 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has just announced Little Miss Sunshine for release on 12/19. It will be presented in anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen and Dolby 5.1. Extras have yet to be announced, but Davis DVD and DVD Active both have the cover art up.

Can't wait. Hopefully will get a commentary track from the directors plus both the teaser and theatrical trailers. Both those trailers made the movie worth seeing.
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996), Reality Bites: 20th Anniversary Edition (1994), Mallrats (1995), Her (2013), I Love You, Man (2009)

# of Blu-Rays and DVDs in my Collection (Combined): 1231

#2 of 64 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 04:44 PM

already knew about the date but like I said elsewhere
best movie of the year
can't wait to add it to the collection on release day

#3 of 64 Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 418 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted November 02 2006 - 07:27 AM

Specs have been revealed.

The film will be presented on a flipper disc containing both anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen and full screen transfers, and both will have Dolby 5.1 soundtracks.

Extras will be:

*Audio Commentary by directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Ferris and writer Michael Arndt
*Four Alternate Endings with optional commentary by the directors
*Music Video for Devotchka's "Til the End of Time"
*Trailers

Not a lot, but interested in seeing the alternate endings. The Devotchka music video is excellent. I saw it on YouTube while the movie was out in theatres, and I'm glad to see it on the DVD.

Yes, I feel bad that there won't be more. I thought that maybe there would be a making-of featurette, but maybe the commentary will do a better job, although judging from all recent films, I probably wouldn't count on it.

Also, why the full screen transfer. It's going to be cropped as hell, so what's the point?

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996), Reality Bites: 20th Anniversary Edition (1994), Mallrats (1995), Her (2013), I Love You, Man (2009)

#4 of 64 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 02 2006 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the info! The commentary should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
Also, why the full screen transfer. It's going to be cropped as hell, so what's the point?
Yeah, it's not like the Wal Mart crowd will be rushing out to buy this movie. Posted Image

#5 of 64 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted November 02 2006 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

Yeah, it's not like the Wal Mart crowd will be rushing out to buy this movie. Posted Image
I don't need the fullscreen side but I won't be bothered by it as I just won't flip the disc over

not sure what defines a WM crowd as I'm not a big fan of that retailer but the audience I saw it with was a much older crowd than I am used to seeing at the cinema... from what I know a few older people do shop at WM

#6 of 64 Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 02:11 PM

In case anyone is curious, this movie
RULES!!!!!

I went and saw it twice during its theatrical run, and I never, i mean never, do that anymore.

#7 of 64 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted November 04 2006 - 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
I wouldn't say that, Little Miss Sunshine was in Super 35.

#8 of 64 Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 418 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted November 04 2006 - 03:08 PM

Didn't know that. I always assumed that it was Panavision because the film's trailers and TV spots were both presented 2.35:1 letterbox.

I actually saw this film four times in the theater. The first time was at a free screening while on vacation in Arizona and I got to meet Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Ferris after a Q&A session. They were very nice people and they loved the fact that I was well aware of the movie before that screening.

#9 of 64 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,033 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 17 2006 - 01:39 PM

pq is not good.

lots of ringing and is a bit murky for inside scenes
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 64 Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 02:25 PM

I agree about the pic quality. At first I thought it was simply a case of watching the DVD immediately after viewing Devil Wears Prada on Blu-Ray, but I tried again yesterday on two different DVD players on 2 displays and it's pretty ordinary with a lot of ringing. Perhaps a dual layer DVD instead of a useless pan and scan version on the flip side would have improved things. Seriously, this film is hardly going to appeal to the P&S crowd.

#11 of 64 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted December 17 2006 - 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace_A
I agree about the pic quality. At first I thought it was simply a case of watching the DVD immediately after viewing Devil Wears Prada on Blu-Ray, but I tried again yesterday on two different DVD players on 2 displays and it's pretty ordinary with a lot of ringing. Perhaps a dual layer DVD instead of a useless pan and scan version on the flip side would have improved things. Seriously, this film is hardly going to appeal to the P&S crowd.
sadly I think WM is in play here regarding the p&s version on the flip side
As I understand they are bringing in quantity on this title and will have an exclusive 5 song ep as a value add

being my most anticipated dvd of the year it is sad to hear about pq issues

also wondering if there might not be a re-issue right around the Oscars repackaged with nomination/win info

#12 of 64 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 18 2006 - 03:21 AM

This went from a definite buy to a no buy for me. I refuse to support flipper releases. End of story. Posted Image

#13 of 64 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 03:45 AM

To each his own but I can't understand how a dual sided disc influences anyone's purchase decision.

#14 of 64 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 18 2006 - 03:54 AM

First, it has been said the picture quality suffers. Second, from what I understand, you have to physically flip the disc to get to some extras. Third, I always have issues figuring out which side should go up. Fourth, double sided discs get scratched entirely too easily no matter how gentle you are with them.

#15 of 64 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 03:56 AM

The picture quality apparently suffers because it's not dual layered. Just being a dual sided disc doesn't reduce the quality of the image.

#16 of 64 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 18 2006 - 04:13 AM

^ Quite right. But there is no excuse for bad PQ on a release as new as this one.

#17 of 64 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 04:28 AM

So your problem is with the PQ then? I thought it was with the dual sided disc being used.

Like I said, it's your choice but I don't get it.

#18 of 64 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,638 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 18 2006 - 04:34 AM

My issue is with both of them. I will not support a release-no matter what it is-that gets a double sided disc. Similarly, I would not pick up any recent movie that has this many problems with the PQ.

#19 of 64 Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
pq is not good.

lots of ringing and is a bit murky for inside scenes

Wasn't this movie low budget to begin with?

#20 of 64 Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted December 18 2006 - 05:24 AM

Quote:
I will not support a release-no matter what it is-that gets a double sided disc.

So if the movie is only 90 minutes long and doesn't require a dual layer disc, you STILL won't buy it?

That sounds pretty extreme...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow