Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

i'm angry about not having an anamorphic...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 02:14 AM

Why can't I have an anamorphic reissue of THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123?

Every other special-niche small-audience-appeal movie comes out in super duper multi-disc editions, three times over.

All I want (right now) is PELHAM 123.

I'm just frustrated, is all.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 05:21 AM

Me too! And Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 05:58 AM

I'd like enhanced versions of Cutter's Way, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Dark Star, Invaders From Mars...etc. etc. etc. AAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 10:19 AM

Nightmare Before Christmas....
Roman Sohor, CTS

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 11:15 AM

See? Now lookit what you've done. You've overwhelmed them. No wonder we don't get these things. They are all overwhelmed!

All I want right now, at this second, is THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 in an anamorphic print on DVD. I don't even need any extras, just an anamorphic print.

Let's try to get one thing at a time. Maybe that's the secret.

Just this one thing right now. Then, we'll move on to the next thing. (POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE, anamorphic, please?)

Posted Image

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted October 18 2006 - 02:34 PM

Well, I want two films enhanced:

Flash Gordon(1980)

and

The Shadow

I'm tired of seeing years go by without these two showing up with anamorphic transfers......Posted Image

Another to add.....From Dusk Till Dawn. On the PSP, the UMD version looks great....nice anamorphic transfer that fills the screen. Unfortunately, we have yet to see it properly done on DVD. Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted October 19 2006 - 01:19 AM

I'd love an anamorphic version of THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3, too. About a year or so ago I finally sprang for the current DVD, and found it to at least be better than my old LaserDisc. Here are two screenshots from the DVD, then the LaserDisc:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is too good of a movie to not have a superior transfer in the current best medium.

Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 472 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 19 2006 - 03:29 AM

Quote:
This is too good of a movie to not have a superior transfer in the current best medium.

I agree. I absolutely love this film (one of my real favorites) and would love an anamorphic version. (A Special Edition would be even better).

Great soundtrack too of course!

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted October 19 2006 - 04:42 AM

I want an anamorphic version of the original versions of a trilogy of films that came in 1977, 1980 and 1983 Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 04:11 AM

Thought I'd reply in this thread, instead of starting a thread for two films. Cutter's Way (1981) was released on DVD back in 2001, but would like to see it get a re-release on DVD (and Blu-ray) with extras and a "remastered" picture. Or a release on DVD by Criterion. First read about Cutter's Way in an article in Sight & Sound magazine and was very interested in seeing it.

Dead of Winter (1987), starring Mary Steenburgen and Roddy McDowell, has been released on Region 1 by MGM, but I read on DVD Compare's comparison page for the film that it is presented in 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 10:12 AM

two other films that are not anamorphic are the bridge at remagen and the devil's brigade.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 10:33 AM

I guess you guys know that the original "Taking of Pelham" has just been released to Blu, right? Still looking for an anamorphic "True Lies" and Disney "Hercules".
Joseph
---------------

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 23 2011 - 10:55 AM

Not just anamorphic, I will take almost any decent presentation of "Treasure Planet"

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#14 of 24 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,841 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 23 2011 - 10:58 AM

I want anamorphic releases of GIANT, 1941 and THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted November 24 2011 - 12:47 AM

ALL OF ME with Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin - only version is a TERRIBLE looking non-anamorphic disc.
My DVDs

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 24 2011 - 01:08 AM

These are in my top list of non-anamorphic movies. Angels in the Outfield (1994) The Deep (1977) * Jack the Giant Kiler (1962) Lilies of the Field (1963) New York, New York (1977) * * I'm not sure, if memory's correct: Maybe these 2 were released anamorphically in BR. Thanks to some R2 releases of other films, I've got several other movies that are anamorphic which still haven't been released in R1 in that format.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted November 24 2011 - 01:37 AM

New York, New York is available on DVD in a 16:9 version, and it's on blu-ray. The initial DVD release of The Deep had both anamorphic widescreen and pan-and-scan versions of the film and it, too, is on blu-ray.
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 29 2011 - 11:00 AM

New York, New York is available on DVD in a 16:9 version, and it's on blu-ray. The initial DVD release of The Deep had both anamorphic widescreen and pan-and-scan versions of the film and it, too, is on blu-ray.

Nick, Thanks for the info although I didn't initially understand your info about the original std dvd release (1998) of "The Deep". I have that one and it's letterboxed if we're talking about the same release. However, your post guided me to Amazon where I see that I missed a re-release in '04 from Image that says it's 1.77:1 format. Posted Image NY, NY, I thought I recalled that one in BR but I haven't entered the BR mkt yet. I have the std Spcl Ed release (Feb 8, '05) and it's letterboxed. I saw a newer release at Amazon that says it's anamorphic, released Dec 4, '07.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 04:40 AM

i'm angry about not having an anamorphic... SATANTANGO :f

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted November 30 2011 - 06:35 AM

I'd love to have a new anamorphic transfer of THE ABYSS. Also, YELLOW SUBMARINE. A Blu-ray of the latter would be especially tasty, what with the opportunities for better color and lossless, hi-res sound!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------