What's new

i'm angry about not having an anamorphic... (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Why can't I have an anamorphic reissue of THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123?

Every other special-niche small-audience-appeal movie comes out in super duper multi-disc editions, three times over.

All I want (right now) is PELHAM 123.

I'm just frustrated, is all.

MC

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'd like enhanced versions of Cutter's Way, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Dark Star, Invaders From Mars...etc. etc. etc. AAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
See? Now lookit what you've done. You've overwhelmed them. No wonder we don't get these things. They are all overwhelmed!

All I want right now, at this second, is THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 in an anamorphic print on DVD. I don't even need any extras, just an anamorphic print.

Let's try to get one thing at a time. Maybe that's the secret.

Just this one thing right now. Then, we'll move on to the next thing. (POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE, anamorphic, please?)

:D

MC

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'd love an anamorphic version of THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3, too. About a year or so ago I finally sprang for the current DVD, and found it to at least be better than my old LaserDisc. Here are two screenshots from the DVD, then the LaserDisc:

This is too good of a movie to not have a superior transfer in the current best medium.

Harry

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

I agree. I absolutely love this film (one of my real favorites) and would love an anamorphic version. (A Special Edition would be even better).

Great soundtrack too of course!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I want an anamorphic version of the original versions of a trilogy of films that came in 1977, 1980 and 1983 :D

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thought I'd reply in this thread, instead of starting a thread for two films. Cutter's Way (1981) was released on DVD back in 2001, but would like to see it get a re-release on DVD (and Blu-ray) with extras and a "remastered" picture. Or a release on DVD by Criterion. First read about Cutter's Way in an article in Sight & Sound magazine and was very interested in seeing it.

Dead of Winter (1987), starring Mary Steenburgen and Roddy McDowell, has been released on Region 1 by MGM, but I read on DVD Compare's comparison page for the film that it is presented in 1.85:1 non-anamorphic widescreen.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
two other films that are not anamorphic are the bridge at remagen and the devil's brigade.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I guess you guys know that the original "Taking of Pelham" has just been released to Blu, right? Still looking for an anamorphic "True Lies" and Disney "Hercules".

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
ALL OF ME with Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin - only version is a TERRIBLE looking non-anamorphic disc.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
These are in my top list of non-anamorphic movies. Angels in the Outfield (1994) The Deep (1977) * Jack the Giant Kiler (1962) Lilies of the Field (1963) New York, New York (1977) * * I'm not sure, if memory's correct: Maybe these 2 were released anamorphically in BR. Thanks to some R2 releases of other films, I've got several other movies that are anamorphic which still haven't been released in R1 in that format.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
New York, New York is available on DVD in a 16:9 version, and it's on blu-ray. The initial DVD release of The Deep had both anamorphic widescreen and pan-and-scan versions of the film and it, too, is on blu-ray.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Worth said:
New York, New York is available on DVD in a 16:9 version, and it's on blu-ray. The initial DVD release of The Deep had both anamorphic widescreen and pan-and-scan versions of the film and it, too, is on blu-ray.
Nick, Thanks for the info although I didn't initially understand your info about the original std dvd release (1998) of "The Deep". I have that one and it's letterboxed if we're talking about the same release. However, your post guided me to Amazon where I see that I missed a re-release in '04 from Image that says it's 1.77:1 format.
2r7nfdh.jpg
NY, NY, I thought I recalled that one in BR but I haven't entered the BR mkt yet. I have the std Spcl Ed release (Feb 8, '05) and it's letterboxed. I saw a newer release at Amazon that says it's anamorphic, released Dec 4, '07.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to have a new anamorphic transfer of THE ABYSS. Also, YELLOW SUBMARINE. A Blu-ray of the latter would be especially tasty, what with the opportunities for better color and lossless, hi-res sound!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting for 16x9 versions of The Horse Whisperer and Kundun. Although at this point in time this really means Blu-ray. - Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks