What's new

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - questions (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I read that there will be a new deluxe whoopie doopie version released in R1 soon... VERY overdue, IMHO.

:)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I hope this is true as it's extremely overdue.

Not only is this my favorite Dracula movie, it's also my favorite Coppolla movie. The incredible score and jaw-dropping visuals easily make-up for the Keanu Reeves accent and other minor tirp-ups that people hold against it.

Bring it on!

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
yeah it was mentioned early this year that there wil be a SE of Dracula (1992) and Apocalypse Now.the Apocalypse Now is already out but where's Dracula?

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Rumor has it: we're getting an alternate version of the film; Coppola supervised 'exclusive' for this release.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
THAT could be very cool as supposedly the film was ALOT gorier initially!
I'm sure they will have both versions included, ala Apocalypse. Wait... The new THE Outsiders was just the long version so who knows...?!?!?!

:0

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
they released the original theatre version of the outsiders on dvd. its only in 2.0 dolby digital.. the transfer is okay.

Jacob

Dan M

Second Unit
*BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - I am not fond of this film, neither as a Coppola or Dracula work, but its excessive use of reds, blacks, lighting, and other exceptional Michael Ballhaus camerawork makes it a particular challenge for DVD's MPEG-2 format.

As a result, even the U.S. Superbit edition falls short (often very much so) of capturing the way this looked on 35mm film. A Digital High Definition transfer down the line will be a revelation*

I"m no film expert but I find these statements interesting. I've always thought the transfer to be very much how I remember seeing in the cinema upon its original release . I think it looks amazing on dvd.....Time for a SE though....

Rolando

Screenwriter
just picked up the superbit for supercheap but will be all over this when it comes out. hopefully BD will be out at the same time :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I can't wait for this. I remember buying the Criterion laserdisc way back when, but player wasn't compatible and I had to return it. I've been dying to see a documentary on the making of this film, so I hope that it's substantial. This is bar far my favorite Coppola film as well as my favorite version of Dracula. :)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
One of my faves. An SE would be very cool.

I saw some of one making of documentary -- not sure if it was the one on the LD. One excerpt featured Coppola blindfolding everyone before the scene where D looks like a giant bat. Oldman walked around and spoke into their ears as they cringed and shrank away from him. Totally awesome. Oldman improvised a bunch of sinister dialog. I ate it up.

A new cut of the film? Oh, I'm down.

Dan M

Second Unit
I remember seeing an in depth 'making of' special on HBO at the time of it's release in theaters. I wonder if this is the same? I remember a behind the scenes look at the baby dropping scene (in the tomb after Lucy becomes a full vampire and has a baby in her arms) and how the parents of the child were on the set and the baby was terrified by it all! Gary Oldman speaks about how he channeled much of his emotion through some targedies in his life (loss of a child I think)....

Good stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks