Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Capturing video from CNN Pipeline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   DanHaya

DanHaya

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted September 12 2006 - 03:21 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success capturing the streaming video feeds from CNN Pipeline? I would like to save their 9/11 coverage for educational purposes, but I can't seem to download it.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,306 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 13 2006 - 01:32 AM

I'm sure it is designed to be hard to capture, since despite being coverage of a real-world event the pictures, commentary, graphics, etc. are copyrighted material that belongs to CNN. I don't know if they have (or will) release the "live as it happened" coverage on commercial DVD, but you might want to contact them about educational use of the footage. (I know CNN did release a retrospective DVD that used a great many excerpts from the live coverage of 9/11 and the days that immediately followed.)

Regards ,

Joe

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   DanHaya

DanHaya

Second Unit

• 294 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 03:51 AM

I contacted CNN a couple of years ago about this. They would be more than happy to sell me the footage for $50/hour, but that is a little pricey considering the events of the day.

I don't think any network will ever rebroadcast their original coverage on over-the-air television or release it on DVD. But since CNN was offering the footage on Pipeline, I thought they might at least consider letting people download it. I guess not. Posted Image

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   peterac

peterac

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 04:55 PM

Would this be any different from a copyright standpoint than taping CNN on your VCR?

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,306 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 16 2006 - 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterac
Would this be any different from a copyright standpoint than taping CNN on your VCR?

No, in that technically both would be illegal for Dan's purposes. Posted Image The famous "Betamax" decision allows for time-shifting of programs, but it doesn't sanction keeping archival copies permanently* or creating a video library. As a practical matter nobody is going to bother enforcing this for individual users, much less invest time and money in tracking them down, but it still is copyright infringement.

Regards,

Joe

* Even educational shows that are part of the "Cable in the Classroom" initiative, which are shown without commercials and with the specific intention of having teachers record them for later use, emphasize this fact. The copyright notice gives the user specific permission to archive the program for a strictly limited period and includes the date on which all copies of the recording must be destroyed, I think usually a year or 18 months after the broadcast date. So even while creating an exception the industry is asserting that it must grant permission for users to retain copyrighted materials beyond a brief window for time-shifting and then setting a limit on the retention of the material covered by the exception.