Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Romancing the Stone - Special Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 06:56 AM

Michael Osadciw

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 07:09 AM

I bought both titles and thought they were a tremendous value for $10 each. Each set also comes with an 8-page booklet and fancy slipcover. Both films are sometimes dismissed as Indiana Jones clones, but I found little resemblance. The 'Stone' movies are present day and are more light-hearted because the world isn't hanging in the balance (just a couple of nice people).

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 11:39 AM

My Dolby Digital decoder gives it an oddball "2/1" decoding, instead of the 2/0 decoder readout for normal Dolby Surround soundtracks. I had to manually set it to THX Surround Cinema because of this. Anyone else have an issue?

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 11:59 AM

Do you mean 2.1 or 2 front channels and one rear? My old JVC reports this as a 2 front 1 rear track, which is odd. No issues with the sound itself, though.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 12:25 PM

yes, 2 front, 1 surround

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 01:27 PM

I've noticed that my decoder does this with some Dolby 2.0 titles...some get recognized as 2/0, some as 2/1. I have no idea why, but it doesn't affect the sound as I said: RTS played fine. Were you getting sound through the center channel before setting to THX surround?

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 03:18 PM

Sorry to switch tracks to the sequel for a second but I won't be able to look at my own DVD of the new JEWEL OF THE NILE: Special Edition for a while so can anyone tell me--is the trailer on it the 90-second teaser that begins with Danny DeVito running into a phone booth in the middle of a desert and ends with him saying, "And if I've gotta go..." [turns to the camera and sneers at the audience] "...then you've gotta go!"?
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 04:14 PM

No, that's how I noticed something was unusual about the channel configuration. My Onkyo TXSR803 receiver is set to "neutral" when a new channel config is played, and then my preferred surround setting is set manually (it keeps the setting until changed). So there is 2 front channels and 1 discrete surround (L-R-S) apparently. Which is really weird. I would have expected a 4.0 configuration (L-C-R-S) for this film.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 04:19 PM

Peter it is not a 4.0 presentation. Correct indicators for this 2.0 surround soundtrack is L, R, S. Surround and center is derived from left and right channels. Mike

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted September 08 2006 - 04:50 PM

Of course. But the encoding is flagged 2/1. 3.0 isn't correct because there isn't a center channel, and of course no 3/1 (4.0). I've just never had a film flagged in this manner before. According to my research, there were 70MM prints made, which would indicate that some master out there *does* have a 4.0 mix. Fox is normally pretty good about these things so I have to wonder. Will we have to wait for the Blu-ray edition to get a proper soundtrack?

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted September 09 2006 - 03:32 AM

Every 2.0 Surround soundtrack I have is flagged this way. I see nothing abnormal about this soundtrack.

Michael Osadciw

Video Contributor

CANADA HiFi Magazine

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Dave GR

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 09 2006 - 11:59 AM

Just watched JotN, and enjoyed it a whole lot more than I remembered from years ago. And yeah, that trailer is on the disc.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted September 09 2006 - 12:08 PM

Dave GR, thanks a million!
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted September 09 2006 - 10:40 PM

I just watched this last night and I agree with the comments above. The PQ is excellent but the audio is noticeably weak. But ROMANCING THE STONE is just one of many,many movies that is near-to-ruined for me by the crappy 80s music. Why did we not notice how awful synth-drums and Kenny G sax were at the time? Personally - and I say this only partly in jest - I think there's a case for goIng back and re-scoring several 80s movies with music that's a bit less dated. Do RUNAWAY TRAIN as well. OK - bring on the abuse!
I've been going to bed early . . .

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,162 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 11:04 AM

Have done a HTF search for existing threads about Romancing the Stone (1984) and Jewel of the Nile (1985), and found this seemed the most suitable one as it covers both films (even though the review is just for Romancing the Stone).

These two adventure films I have been meaning to get on DVD for ages. However, when I found the Region 2 (UK) releases in 2005 were either barebones or had just trailers for DVD extras, and the Region 1 boxset of both films together had a few DVD extras I was considering getting the Region 1 release.

When seeing Romancing the Stone on TV, I do remember some shots being out of focus.

And I liked the end credits of Jewel of the Nile with Billy Ocean's track When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going.

Which is the better of the two films? For me, Romancing the Stone just edges it.

Is there much chance of these two films being re-released on DVD (or released on Blu-ray)?

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 477 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 19 2011 - 08:11 PM

I've always loved these films. For me, Romancing the Stone is way better than Jewel.

They've both been out on Blu-ray for a while - with some fairly interesting extras.

I picked up the double-BD pack here in Australia for $7.99. Definitely recommended.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,162 posts

Posted August 21 2011 - 04:41 AM

Have checked Amazon.com for Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile, comparing the extras on the DVD and Blu-ray releases, and it appears they're identical. Are they region locked and have an improved picture? I remember when seeing Romancing the Stone on TV, that the night scenes were grainy. Glad that they've used the original artwork. Thought they might have included the music video for Billy Ocean's music track, but that's just a nit-pick.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users