What's new

Serentity on HD DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

I was watching this last night and noticed a significant amount of pixelization in certain scenes of this title, specifically -

During the opening sequence when the assasin is in the archives, the blue walls behind him are quite pixely

During the landing sequence of Serenity, just before they go rob the bank, there is a lot of pixelisation in the sky.

The pixelization i noticed was mostly in scenes that involved blue backgrounds or blue sky. Anyone else seeing this?

I was not expecting to see any pixelisation on HD DVD as I thought it was a product of excessive compression and that should not be an issue with HD DVD.

Anyone know if this was a badly mastered title or if there is a problem with the disk? I have not noticed this problem with any other HD DVD I have watched.

Thanks,

Dave

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Serenity is widely considered to be a reference disc for HD-DVD video. I see absolutely none of the artifacts you describe on my 57" CRT RPTV. It is pristine.

What kind of display do you have? Have you calibrated your system with a disc like AVIA or Digital Video Essentials?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Check to be sure that you have the HD-A1 set to output 1080i (even if your display has a native resolution of 720p). Some early firmware on the Tosh player provided the requested 720p by first downconverting 1080i to 480p and then upconverting back up to the desired resolution!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Generally considered to be one of the best quality HD DVDs. I suspect the problem is somewhere in your system.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
For us to give you some assistance, please fill-in the blanks.

1) Display Type? :confused: (DLP, LCOS, LCD, CRT)

2) Display Native Resolution? :confused:

3) HD-A1/XA1 Video Connection > HDTV? :confused: (HDMI, Component, RCA Video)

4) HD-A1/XA1 Firmware Version? :confused:

5) Did you Calibrate your Video? :confused:

Phil

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I just finished watching Serenity (Recieved my Tosh by FedEx a few hours back. 2.0 firmware, output set to 1080i, using HDMI through my Pioneer reciever and HDMI to my Panasonic 900U). I had absolutly no issues with the picture, or for that matter, the sound. In fact, my reaction was WOW.

Having been slow to move into the HD DVD arena I didn't know what I was missing.

I would check your setup as others have mentioned. Sorry you did not have a good viewing of this great movie.

Thomas Eisenmann

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi all,

WOW, thanks for the great responses. I knew I could count on this forum to come up with some answers.

For us to give you some assistance, please fill-in the blanks.

1) Display Type? (DLP, LCOS, LCD, CRT) Samsung 61" DLP (HLN61???)

2) Display Native Resolution? 1080i is the highest resolution accepted by the TV and the HD a1 says 1080i when I am playing an Hd DVD. I do not think there is anything in the TV setting I need to change in order for it to accept HD content (I have not changed any of the TV setting since I got the HD A1). Maybe there is something I am missing in this step?

3) HD-A1/XA1 Video Connection > HDTV? (HDMI, Component, RCA Video)
Connected via HDMI with a DVI adaptor - TV only has one DVI for digital signal in.
4) HD-A1/XA1 Firmware Version?

Currently on version 1.4 and I am waitng on a friend with high speed internet to burn me the 2.0 upgrade.

5) Did you Calibrate your Video?

I have not had a chance to do this yet for the HD A1 although I did calibrate using AVIA with my previous DVD player. Admitted, I think I have the brightness turned up too high for the HDA1 but I would not have thought that would cause pixelization.

The reason I brought this up is that I have seen the pixelization on two displays (although neither display was properly calibrated for HD DVD and one or more of the TV settings could be incorrect.). I admit to getting a bit confused with the whole 1080i and the different resolution settings so it could very well be that there is something wrong with the way I have set things up, especially given the above commments on how reference quality Serenity is. I ws really disappointed while watching it last night (because I LOVE the film).

Thanks for any and all advice.

Dave

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
I think Serenity is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen on my home theater.

I have a Sammy 50"DLP (5067) connected through HDMI->HDMI via a HDMI switcher from Monoprice. It has the 2.0 firmware and after toggling between 720p and 1080i, I chose 1080i. I have it callibrated w/DVE and am patiently waiting for the DVE HD-DVD. It looks fantastic in my opinion.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of the first discs that I purchased, watched and had me addicted to the format. Had absolutely no problems as described here.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I saw not pixelization at all in it. If you have component cables, see what it looks like through the component outs. I wonder if there might be an issue with your DVI adapter.

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
It could be a TV setting. The Samsung sets tend to have a lot of image manipulation circuitry that can hamper the picture more than help it (notable DNle).

Just a thought.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Agree on some of the Samsungs...they are a thing of beauty I must say and look grand on display but I have noticed that after awhile the picture can look a bit "digital" or even artificial if you will. Calibration can help some of that but that DNle can't be turned off I think?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

I just check the scene's you listed above and didn't notice any pixelizations issues, just smooth surfaces with the background, blue sky and scenes overall.

I join the other's in saying that "Serenity" PQ is tops :emoji_thumbsup: among the HD DVDs already released and it's possible that something is going on with your Samsung.

Tim Glover mentioned Samsung DNIe circuitry which can enhance your problem. So, if you cannot turn-it off, try to find the Service Menu code to turn it off - which will require some research on your part.

Then I'd recommend going ahead and re-calibrating the video and then re-view those scene's you mentioned above. If you still see it try viewing it on another DLP TV and if it's still evident, exchange it for another HD DVD.

My equipment:
1) Display Type: Toshiba 56HM195 56" DLP

2) Display Native Resolution: 1080p

3) HD-A1/XA1 Video Connection > HDTV? HDMI to HDMI (6' Gold Ends HDMI Cable - $9 including SH @ eBay)

4) HD-A1/XA1 Firmware Version: 2.0

5) Did you Calibrate your Video? Yes, Video Calibrated using DVE

Phil

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Makes sure DNIe and "digital noise reduction" (not sure if the HLNs had that) are turned of on your TV. I use to have a HLN and you can turn DNIe off, when on it makes the picture look horrible IMO. Just make sure that all the image enhancement features on the Sammy are turned off. On my HLP those enhancements do nothing but degrade the picture quality.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I am running my A1 via HDMI into a Sanyo Z3 onto an 85" screen and see nothing as to what you describe, the image is pristine looking.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WoW! I have never seen any pixelation on any HD-DVD
title I own.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Some people are new, "pixelation" might be "Graininess". Serenity is NOT the most clear film, at least for me, on my TOshiba 720P DLP. It's not MEANT to be NOT grainy.

End of comment.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Serenity grainy? Not in my HT. In fact it has some of the finest grain structure of any HD-DVD title I've seen to date. Perhaps what you're seeing is a combination of DLP artifacts and 720p downconversion?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks