Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor: Cook Islands

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
396 replies to this topic

#1 of 397 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 12:29 AM

I actually got up for The Early Show this time to check out confirmation of what may be the most tasteless thing this show has ever done: no, not the division by race, but the fact that they went back to 20 contestants! It should be 16 every season.

As for the race thing, I would prefer a diverse group split up randomly, and as controversial as the twist may seem, I'm definitely glad to see more minority casting, especially since it almost guarantees another minority winner.

There weren't any real stand-outs to me other than one name that I know I've heard of, so I checked IMDB: Jonathan Penner. An actor. Ugh. (Assuming it's the same one) I'll hold judgement until I read all the bios but I really wasn't that impressed with the cast, although I give them credit for the gutsy division and more diverse casting.

#2 of 397 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 03:37 PM

Yes it is the actor Jonathan.
While it may be good that they mixed up the races and have more minorities, they should have mixed up where people came from. 13 out of 20 are from California, and at least half of those are from LA. Posted Image

As for standouts, I'd have to go with Cao Boi (Cowboy), he seems like a cool guy to be around, and lives ~2 hours from here.

#3 of 397 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Morris
13 out of 20 are from California, and at least half of those are from LA.

That IS disappointing. You'd think the producers understand how much having a local or regional connection to a Survivor helps.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#4 of 397 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted August 23 2006 - 10:52 PM

I think they do understand that, but I wonder to what extent there has been a disparity between the contestants and the regional break-down of the viewership.

#5 of 397 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,875 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 23 2006 - 11:37 PM

Over half from CA? Crap. That sucks. I love it when a player is from my home state.

When does this one premiere?
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 397 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
I actually got up for The Early Show this time to check out confirmation of what may be the most tasteless thing this show has ever done: no, not the division by race, but the fact that they went back to 20 contestants! It should be 16 every season.

HaHa. What a great way to start the thread. I have never been a big fan of the large cast because they always seem to throw them off in stupid ways. (Example: You didn't get picked for a team) I have also been a fan since season one and so prefer it the old way.

One thing I see happening is that they will mix up the races within 6 days of being on the island. I wish they wouldn't and would completely eliminate one team before they moved on but figure this will not stick just like last season. The older ladies lost two challeges and that was it they got everyone together to completely re-pick the tribes and divide everyone up which kind of defeated the purpose of the show.

I don't consider myself a racist but I honestly do stereotype people. At my work we (multiple colors) have been cracking up about who we think will do good and bad in what challenges. Is is politically correct? Hell No! Is it fun? You bet your butt.
The Legend is better than reality!

#7 of 397 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted August 24 2006 - 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown
One thing I see happening is that they will mix up the races within 6 days of being on the island.

Red, I can mix those races within THREE days.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#8 of 397 OFFLINE   GordonL

GordonL

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael:M
That IS disappointing. You'd think the producers understand how much having a local or regional connection to a Survivor helps.
More so than ethnic connection?

#9 of 397 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 07:31 AM

I love the show, but I really wish we saw more average Joe's.

I just wish they would use a "lottery" system one season & see who they come up with. Drop the "casting" altogether and just draw 20 names out of the pool.

Can you imagine? Out-of-shape people, wallflowers, jerks, ugly people, young, old, idiots, grossly obese people, a little skinny college kid, alcoholics, blue collar, white collar...whatever....

That would ensure the most diverse cast of all & it would be so much more interesting. Just one season!!!

#10 of 397 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,035 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted August 24 2006 - 07:35 AM

I agree with David. If I want to see Hollywood types, there are a lot of choices. I want to see joe six packs.

This race thing is going to mean bad things for the white team. They wont stand a chance. I can bet the other teams gang up on them.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#11 of 397 OFFLINE   Robin_B

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S
If I want to see Hollywood types, there are a lot of choices. I want to see joe six packs.

Huh? Hollywood types? I must be watching a different Survivor cos I've seen very few "Hollywood types" (whatever they are)
"Yeah but secreted from what?"

#12 of 397 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,035 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted August 24 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hollywood type is a 20 something, model looking, babe or stud. Each season there are 2 to 4 normal people and the rest are straight out of GQ or Playboy.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#13 of 397 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,831 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 10:25 AM

It would be cool if the final four ended up being one from each starting group.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#14 of 397 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 11:25 AM

What are the races? White, Black, and Hispanic?

I hope the black people win.

That's racist.

But so is the show.

I can just see Farmer John going, "I hope dem whites when it for the confedracy."

It's a super lame idea and I HOPE they mix 'em up really soon.

Mischa - was that supposed to be a joke? Because I cracked up.

ry

#15 of 397 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,875 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 24 2006 - 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Deeb
I love the show, but I really wish we saw more average Joe's.
I couldn't agree more! But they're trying to building ratings and they think the audience for these reality shows wants models showing their titties and big jocks fighting over who gets the fishing tackle.

But, yep, just one season using the lotto system mentioned above would revive this idea. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#16 of 397 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAn
What are the races? White, Black, and Hispanic?

White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian

#17 of 397 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael:M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonL
More so than ethnic connection?

No, but I couldn't think of a way to write that without sounding preachy or trite. Fact is, I don't like the dividing by ethnicity. IMNSHO, race relations in the US are pretty bad. The producers can use the words "social experiment" all they want, but it was done for ratings and buzz, not altruism.

I don't think dividing by ethnic lines is bad in and of itself, but given the tense state of race relations in the US, I'd rather they did it another way.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#18 of 397 OFFLINE   Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 03:02 AM

I hope next season they divide the teams up by religion. Maybe a little mini-war will even break out.

#19 of 397 OFFLINE   Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 04:03 AM

If they ever divide teams by religious or political affiliation we won't be able to discuss the show at all!

#20 of 397 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 06:57 AM

If you guys like the average joes, you're going to love Billy--he said that his hope is to band together with all of the average joes and take out the mactors.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow