What's new

Survivor: Cook Islands (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I actually got up for The Early Show this time to check out confirmation of what may be the most tasteless thing this show has ever done: no, not the division by race, but the fact that they went back to 20 contestants! It should be 16 every season.

As for the race thing, I would prefer a diverse group split up randomly, and as controversial as the twist may seem, I'm definitely glad to see more minority casting, especially since it almost guarantees another minority winner.

There weren't any real stand-outs to me other than one name that I know I've heard of, so I checked IMDB: Jonathan Penner. An actor. Ugh. (Assuming it's the same one) I'll hold judgement until I read all the bios but I really wasn't that impressed with the cast, although I give them credit for the gutsy division and more diverse casting.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Yes it is the actor Jonathan.
While it may be good that they mixed up the races and have more minorities, they should have mixed up where people came from. 13 out of 20 are from California, and at least half of those are from LA. :thumbsdown:

As for standouts, I'd have to go with Cao Boi (Cowboy), he seems like a cool guy to be around, and lives ~2 hours from here.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

That IS disappointing. You'd think the producers understand how much having a local or regional connection to a Survivor helps.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I think they do understand that, but I wonder to what extent there has been a disparity between the contestants and the regional break-down of the viewership.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

HaHa. What a great way to start the thread. I have never been a big fan of the large cast because they always seem to throw them off in stupid ways. (Example: You didn't get picked for a team) I have also been a fan since season one and so prefer it the old way.

One thing I see happening is that they will mix up the races within 6 days of being on the island. I wish they wouldn't and would completely eliminate one team before they moved on but figure this will not stick just like last season. The older ladies lost two challeges and that was it they got everyone together to completely re-pick the tribes and divide everyone up which kind of defeated the purpose of the show.

I don't consider myself a racist but I honestly do stereotype people. At my work we (multiple colors) have been cracking up about who we think will do good and bad in what challenges. Is is politically correct? Hell No! Is it fun? You bet your butt.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I love the show, but I really wish we saw more average Joe's.

I just wish they would use a "lottery" system one season & see who they come up with. Drop the "casting" altogether and just draw 20 names out of the pool.

Can you imagine? Out-of-shape people, wallflowers, jerks, ugly people, young, old, idiots, grossly obese people, a little skinny college kid, alcoholics, blue collar, white collar...whatever....

That would ensure the most diverse cast of all & it would be so much more interesting. Just one season!!!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree with David. If I want to see Hollywood types, there are a lot of choices. I want to see joe six packs.

This race thing is going to mean bad things for the white team. They wont stand a chance. I can bet the other teams gang up on them.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

Huh? Hollywood types? I must be watching a different Survivor cos I've seen very few "Hollywood types" (whatever they are)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Hollywood type is a 20 something, model looking, babe or stud. Each season there are 2 to 4 normal people and the rest are straight out of GQ or Playboy.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
What are the races? White, Black, and Hispanic?

I hope the black people win.

That's racist.

But so is the show.

I can just see Farmer John going, "I hope dem whites when it for the confedracy."

It's a super lame idea and I HOPE they mix 'em up really soon.

Mischa - was that supposed to be a joke? Because I cracked up.

ry

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I couldn't agree more! But they're trying to building ratings and they think the audience for these reality shows wants models showing their titties and big jocks fighting over who gets the fishing tackle.

But, yep, just one season using the lotto system mentioned above would revive this idea. :frowning:

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

No, but I couldn't think of a way to write that without sounding preachy or trite. Fact is, I don't like the dividing by ethnicity. IMNSHO, race relations in the US are pretty bad. The producers can use the words "social experiment" all they want, but it was done for ratings and buzz, not altruism.

I don't think dividing by ethnic lines is bad in and of itself, but given the tense state of race relations in the US, I'd rather they did it another way.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I hope next season they divide the teams up by religion. Maybe a little mini-war will even break out.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
If they ever divide teams by religious or political affiliation we won't be able to discuss the show at all!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
If you guys like the average joes, you're going to love Billy--he said that his hope is to band together with all of the average joes and take out the mactors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks