Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Image Entertainment announces 3 for HD DVD... Criterion next?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 12:01 PM

Looks like HD DVD has just won over its first "on the fence" studio!

http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Image Entertainment, aside from their concerts and IMAX films, also as of 2005 has become the exclusive distributor of The Criterion Collection. Could Criterion's HD DVD releases be inevitable? We'll see.
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,224 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 16 2006 - 02:36 PM

I thought (but could be wrong) that Criterion has said that they aren't doing any HD stuff until the format war settles out.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 02:48 PM

How did these titles sell on SD DVD? How did these titles look in SD DVD? (were they film or video?) Glad to have Image on board for HD disc. Although, to me, the quality of there SD DVD's were all over the place. Any Image SD DVD titles that should be a knockout on HD disc?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 05:31 PM

AFAIK I thought I read Image was supporting both formats.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 02:51 AM

I think Image is holding back on BD for the moment due to the costs of tooling up; once it gets more widespread and mastering costs drop I expect they'll jump in. Odd that they'd pick concert films, which usually have pretty poor source materials (see U2: Rattle and Hum) due to the lighting conditions and need to use handheld cameras and smaller/faster stock. Maybe they're counting on the advanced audio formats. But I've not seen any of these so they might be better quality sources. EDIT: I am informed these were all shot in HD Video, so in theory they should look terrific. And Image only distributes Criterion; they don't have a say in what they release or what formats they use.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 04:03 AM

Well, I'm pretty sure we won't see films that have distro rights with Sony, Fox, or BV, like some of the Kurosawas.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 17 2006 - 07:53 AM

I checked out reviews of the SD Heart. Shot in HD. So, this maybe a great title.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 06:53 AM

Dolby TrueHD, 24 bit sound?? If they use lossy, low res. tracks it completely defeats the purpose. Dan

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 09:11 AM

TrueHD is lossless.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted August 18 2006 - 05:54 PM

Yes, I know it's lossless. However, my concern is that they'll just use a lossy encoded track. If Image does use Dolby TrueHD I hope they'll have sense enough to use the master soundtrack. New masters are usually 24/48 in the industry. If it's music based it could be 24/96 or even 24/192. That would be uber cool and one of the first distributors to use FULL master quality lossless sound, again if they play it smart. Almost 99% of the tracks out right now on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are from 16 bit downconverts. Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users