Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Reservoir Dogs 15th Anniversary Edition from Lionsgate on 10/24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
137 replies to this topic

#21 of 138 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 06:16 AM

Never mind

#22 of 138 Larry House

Larry House

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David ©
How can an anamorphic print be misprojected? Unlike a matted 1.85, everything that's shown on screen 2.35 is what's on the print.

It was filmed in Super 35, so there's lots of information in the frame that wasn't transferred to anamorphic 2.35:1 theatrical prints (and lots of room for framing errors when going back to the negative or interpositives for video masters).

#23 of 138 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 07:14 AM

Yes, but David's comment was a direct response to Bill's assertion that the framing discrepancies might be due to misprojection at a commercial theater. As David explained, a scope print, unlike a flat one, contains no visual information that isn't meant to be projected onto the screen. Even if it was shot Super35, which does involve capturing extraneous visual information, the release prints would be anamorphic.

If there was an error in framing the anamorphic release print from the orginal Super35 master, then it would have to have occured at the studio level, long before the local theater received the print. That means it's not really a projection problem.

#24 of 138 RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 07:47 AM

...and you know I'm going to have to buy it!

It's not that important, but I wonder if they'll do the individual covers.

Why does a guy like Tarantino so rarely do commentaries when all he does his talk about movies? I want to hear him talk about the movies I love! Posted Image

ry

#25 of 138 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 08:32 AM

We just saw POTC in SF and it looked like the top of the frame was off. People's heads were cut off here and there...

#26 of 138 Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 09:36 AM

The framing I'm not bothered about. The washed-out look of the transfer is what bugs me the most about the R1 10th anniversary edition. The original anamorphic R2 edition got the balance just perfect, with more vibrant colour and a wider contrast range that still retains the crushed shadow detail inherent to a movie shot on such slow stock. But the Artisan 10th anni edition reduced the contrast to such a degree that the already-fragile black level got ruined. I've got both editions, and I can't see myself going for another version anytime soon. I'd have bought the cancelled DVHS edition in a heartbeat though.

#27 of 138 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
We just saw POTC in SF and it looked like the top of the frame was off. People's heads were cut off here and there...

An anamorphic print can certainly be misframed a bit top and bottom, but to see MORE image at both top and bottom on the 35mm print vs. the original laserdisc/DVD letterboxed transfer definitely indicates the transfer was at fault.

I'm not certain the actual HD transfer of RESERVOIR DOGS is at fault- I think something went wacky with the black levels when they did the standard-def downconversion. If they do a better downconversion with correct black levels, and offer the original theatrical sound mix as a viewing option, I'd be willing to pick this up.

Vincent

#28 of 138 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,999 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 13 2006 - 01:06 PM

the last dvd came out 5 years agoPosted Image

facebook.com/whotony

#29 of 138 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted July 13 2006 - 05:08 PM

Quote:
the last dvd came out 5 years ago

Not exactly, Lionsgate is jumping the gun a little bit because the 15th Anniversary is actually 2007, whereas Artisan kept delaying their 10th Anniversary Disc so it came out late in '02.

It'll actually be closer to four years.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#30 of 138 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted July 17 2006 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_P
I think something went wacky with the black levels when they did the standard-def downconversion.

OK, but still...it's a quality control issue then. No one viewed it before it went to pressing?
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#31 of 138 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted July 27 2006 - 05:13 AM

News from davisdvd.com

Quote:
Lionsgate Home Entertainment has sent us full details for their upcoming Reservoir Dogs: 15th Anniversary Edition. Due on October 24th, the two-disc set will include a newly remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer (thank goodness, 'cause the last one sucked), Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS-ES 6.1 tracks.

Bonus materials will include select scene audio commentary, deleted scenes, a "Pulp Factoids Viewer" featuring insider info about the film and sources of inspiration, a "Playing It Fast and Loose" documentary studying the impact and ripple effect of the film, "Profiling the Reservoir Dogs" (a perspective of the criminal minds of the film's characters) and "Tipping Guide" (proper tipping etiquette Reservoir Dogs style) featurettes, K Billy's Sounds of the 70s and vintage interviews with Quentin Tarantino and others. The packaging comes in a limited edition matchbook case with a photo gallery, along with an outer metal case in the shape of a gasoline can. Retail is $19.98.

http://davisdvd.com/...servoirdogs.jpg

#32 of 138 Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted July 27 2006 - 05:59 AM

Oh, hell yes!

I will be picking this up.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#33 of 138 willh51

willh51

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted July 27 2006 - 09:44 AM

Interesting artwork, I may just have to pick this up as well.

#34 of 138 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted July 27 2006 - 10:34 AM

So I wonder if they bothered to fix the soundtrack...

Vincent

#35 of 138 Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted July 27 2006 - 11:01 AM

I don't think the 10th Anniversary Edition was DD EX and DTS ES, so it's quite possible.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#36 of 138 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted July 27 2006 - 03:29 PM

Are all the features carried over from the previous 2-disc ann. set?

Also, what's the verdict on the transfer... any news how that's being handeled?

#37 of 138 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted July 28 2006 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Also, what's the verdict on the transfer... any news how that's being handled?

Quote:
Due on October 24th, the two-disc set will include a newly remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer (thank goodness, 'cause the last one sucked)
.....This seems to be the only info as of yet but it does say "newly remastered"....now exactly what that truly means is anyone's guess, if they just fix the horrible black levels from the last HD Transfer & fix the 5.1 remix or include the original 2.0 track (as has been mentioned by many many many others) I would think about buying it.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#38 of 138 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 04:15 AM

Look at this digipak & discart, it's awesome!

#39 of 138 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M
...if they just fix the horrible black levels from the last HD Transfer & fix the 5.1 remix or include the original 2.0 track (as has been mentioned by many many many others) I would think about buying it.

Same goes for me.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#40 of 138 Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted August 02 2006 - 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
Look at this digipak & discart, it's awesome!

Meh, it looks too gimmicky and flimsy to me.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow