Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hybrid HD player from Samsung and Toshiba ??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:01 AM

http://www.bit-tech.....g_and_toshiba/

http://tomshardware.....mat_hd_player/

Quote:
Blu-ray or HD-DVD? Just like VHS and Beta there is the question of who will survive and who with wither away unto death? This question is even more uncertain, now that Samsung and Toshiba have joined forces to create a hybrid player.

The player will include both Blu-Ray and HD DVD capabilities. The device is planned for later this year or early 2007. Samsung and Tosh both manufacturer their next-gen optical players at the same plant, a joint venture between the two.

Quote:
Interestingly, it appears that Samsung is calling Sony's bluff - under the licensing agreement for Blu-ray, parters aren't allowed to dabble in HD-DVD. It seems that Samsung is testing whether Sony will really push that.

Quote:
Toshiba so far has been quiet about a possible hybrid or Blu-ray only player; however, if business needs dictate the production of such a drive, there is little doubt that the company will have easy access to the technology and will be able to bring a player/recorder to market within a few months.

The plot thickens...

I put ?? in the title for the sake of fairness, although the language in these articles sounds pretty definitive.

If this really gets confirmed beyond any shadow of a doubt, I'll trust the mods to edit the title of this thread accordingly. Posted Image

I've been told by some and I quote:

Quote:
'Fraid not. Old news regarding the named players being grafted onto the recent Samsung redacted statement, is not journalism, but rather seems to be another shot at fueling speculation from our 'reliable' friends at the TGDaily factory.

Hope someone can sift through this and get us the truth one way or the other. Hence the ?? in the title.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Austan

Austan

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:19 AM

Those articles were dated Jun 21 & June 22... Days later on June 23, Samsung back pedals:
http://gizmodo.com/g....yer-182876.php
Then on June 27, Toshiba throws a curve ball:
http://today.reuters....BA.xml&src=rss

It's all a guessing game on what goes behind corporate closed doors. But I think these subjects have been discussed on multiple threads.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:27 AM

Meanwhile, I just noticed the Best Buy website has removed the "order now" option for the HD-A1. This coupled with reports that Best Buy is refusing to sell the A1 to customers in it's stores is troubling.

This sucks...Toshiba needs to do something and do it now. Even with lackluster quality so far Blu-Ray is going to smoke HD-DVD with Best Buy pulling this kind of crap.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Austan

Austan

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:30 AM

Just when I finished posting... Here's the latest and greatest on Samsung stance dated June 28:
http://www.dailytech...spx?newsid=3059

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:34 AM

This whole thing's peculiar...

I'll say this much: I'm definitely on the side of format unification.

I also was/am on the side that was against a format war to begin with.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 07:42 AM

Last summer was the last opportunity for a combined standard. Sony is too far along with the PS3 to change anything as major as the standards it uses. Any movie that will be played with the PS3 will have to strictly adhere to the current Blu-Ray specs. For the $500-$600 dollars they will be charging for the PS3, movie sales will have to play a large part in it's overall success if it's to stand any chance of convincing consumers it's worth a $200 premium over the XBOX 360.

The only way Sony would even begin to agree on a new standard would be if it is using the physical BD standard since the PS3 will be shipping in under 5 months. Unless the blue laser pickup in the current HD-DVD players can read Blu-Ray discs, then Toshiba would have to abandon all the current players sold. How can Toshiba even consider obsoleting all the players it has sold? I would be fairly angry if I paid for a product and barely 3 months later Toshiba is already talking about bailing on it.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Austan

Austan

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 08:05 AM

There is no such thing as "Unification" when dealing with this Format War. Please use one of the following terms, "Surrender, Concede, Submit, Forfeit, Yield, Succumb, Acquiesce, Comply, Concur, Obey, Observe, or Conform".Posted Image

Seriously, this is not DVD+R vs DVD-R where both formats can read the format that SD DVD movies are produced. Think of it as a physical media battle like VHS vs Beta. A Universal player would mean 2 different hardware components and studios only want to produce 1 physical media. So it wouldnt matter if you have a both Beta/VHS slots or both HD-DVD/Blu-Ray lasers. Bottom line is the studios will produce 1 HD media format.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 05:37 PM

How about..."assimilate?" Posted Image

or the old adage..."Peace, through superior fire power." So far, BD is firing blanks.

In the end, the consumer will get shafted, much as it has on DVD-A and SACD, both abysmal failures from a market point of view.
Peter

My Collection

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted July 08 2006 - 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert
Meanwhile, I just noticed the Best Buy website has removed the "order now" option for the HD-A1. This coupled with reports that Best Buy is refusing to sell the A1 to customers in it's stores is troubling.

This sucks...Toshiba needs to do something and do it now. Even with lackluster quality so far Blu-Ray is going to smoke HD-DVD with Best Buy pulling this kind of crap.

Well, some people including me believes that Sony probably paid off Best Buy to not sell HD-DVD players. There was a good story online at http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=691699 from someone who mentioned about how Best Buy employees are forcing Blu-Ray on people.

If Sony is forcing Best Buy to do this, it doesn't really surprise me espically since Sony is notorious for forcing stores to put the Playstation 2 stuff in the front of their stores & their competitors stuff in the back.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 09 2006 - 05:42 AM

BB is still selling HD-DVD players, they've never stopped.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 02:04 PM

Check the Amazon.com rankings of the Toshiba HD-A1 and compare with the Samsung BDP-1000

http://www.amazon.co....N.5=B00078GLJY

Ugh, stupid long URL...anyway.

Toshiba HD-A1 #429 in Electronics
Samsung BDP-1000 #4,227 in Electronics
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Harminder

Harminder

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hedger
Toshiba HD-A1 #429 in Electronics
Samsung BDP-1000 #4,227 in Electronics

UPDATE:

Toshiba HD-A1 NOW #291 in Electronics
Samsung BDP-1000 #4,581 in Electronics

WOW!

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 03:10 PM

Those numbers are essentially meaningless. I see you failed to note that the RCA HDV5000 (a rebadged HD-A1) is number 6486 in sales and it sells for exactly what the Toshiba does. All the numbers tell me is that most people are steering clear of Samsung and RCA because the manufacturers are perceived as lower quality brands.

It will be interesting to see the rankings once a powerhouse Blu-ray brand shows up on the market. If the rankings remain low once SONY, PANASONIC, or PIONEER are on the market then BD has got something to worry about.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 10 2006 - 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
Those numbers are essentially meaningless. I see you failed to note that the RCA HDV5000 (a rebadged HD-A1) is number 6486 in sales and it sells for exactly what the Toshiba does. All the numbers tell me is that most people are steering clear of Samsung and RCA because the manufacturers are perceived as lower quality brands.

It will be interesting to see the rankings once a powerhouse Blu-ray brand shows up on the market. If the rankings remain low once SONY, PANASONIC, or PIONEER are on the market then BD has got something to worry about.
I'm not so sure how many retailers are selling the RCA HDV5000? I know CC and Walmart sells it, but I don't know any other retailers. I had that player and it did a fine job, though, RCA's CS leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to firmware updates and such which is why I exchanged it for a HD-XA1.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted July 10 2006 - 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I'm not so sure how many retailers are selling the RCA HDV5000? I know CC and Walmart sells it, but I don't know any other retailers.

He was citing sales statistics from Amazon.com. I assumed that the sales rankings were derived from on-line orders for each prospective player. Does Amazon collate sales statistics from a wide range of retailers? I'm not sure.
I'm going to have check the local Wal-Mart in my hometown. I curious whether they received any of the RCA branded machines.

Quote:
I had that player and it did a fine job, though, RCA's CS leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to firmware updates and such which is why I exchanged it for a HD-XA1.

I don't think that the RCA branded machine would actually be lower quality than the Toshiba, since I believe the machines are basically manufactured on the same line: just different nameplates. However, I do think that there are negative perceptions attached to the SAMSUNG and RCA brands, justified or not, that cause a lot people to steer clear. On a personal note, I would be more inclined to purchase the TOSHIBA over SAMSUNG, even if the roles were reversed in regards to cost: that is just me, though.

If hybrids do show up then the artillery duel between the two camps becomes moot. The new arguments will be, " do these jack-of-all-trades players screw-up the picture quality on both formats?" Or, howabout, "Ever since they incorporated BD into my HD DVD player my PQ has been lousy. Were unis a mistake?'.....or, of course, it could be vice versa. Anybody looking forward to that? Posted Image

Edited to add:

I noticed something interesting about the weight of Toshiba's HD A1 and the RCA HDV5000. Amazon shows the A1 weighing in at 10lbs while the 5000 weighs in at 19.7. Is that a typo or is it possible that the 5000 is actually a rebadged XA-1? Part of the weight discrepancy could be due to the double chassis. I'm just curious about that.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 11 2006 - 12:18 AM

Amazon’s sales stats are only for Amazon orders. Perhaps not necessarily indicative of a general trend, but they are probably very indicative of how one market segment (those who buy online) makes purchases.
¡Time is not my master!

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow