What's new

Receiver Shootout - Denon AVR-3806 VS Yamaha RX-V2600, Which one would you buy? And W (1 Viewer)

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have narrowed my HT upgrade to the following receivers. I currently have an HK AVR5550 (7x75watt) which I want to upgrade.

Both receivers would use the manufactures DVD players

Denon AVR-3806 using DVD-1920 DVD Player

Power Output; Watts Per Channel 120, features include HDMI switching, 7 channel amplifiers, HDCD decoding, built-in XM-

satellite radio capability, and multi-zone functionality.

$2499 AUD

Yamaha RX-V2600 using Yamaha DVD-S657B DVD Player

The RX-V2600B (130W x 7, 8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04%THD) offers 2-in/1-out HDMI switching with up-conversion features,

providing the most advanced method of delivering high-quality video to a home theatre system. This allows you to enjoy DVD

and satellite TV with HD quality, and ensures that your receiver is future-proof – fully compatible with the latest display

devices. The RX-V2600B can also decode digital audio signals including DVD-Audio, CD, Dolby Digital and DTS.

The RX-V2600B can convert 480p signals to HD resolutions (720p, 1080i), and is the first and only receiver in its class to

offer the benefits of superior up-scaling technologies. It also includes HDTV (720p/1080i) compatibility via a component

video up conversion feature, which can upgrade composite and S-video signals to component video format for ease of

installation.

$1999 AUD

So which one would you go for? Im going to use this to power,

AARON Loudspeaker ATS5
AARON Loudspeaker ATS4
AARON Loudspeaker CC250 Centre
AARON Loudspeaker CC240 Rear Centre
AARON Loudspeaker SUB240

www.aaronhifi.com.au

Whats your thoughts?

Scotty P

Agent
I don't have any first hand experience with the Denon but have read the manual. I recently purchased the yamaha rxv 2500 and couldn't be happier. The Eq on the Denon with measurements from different positions in the room is nice in concept. I like the 7 band parametric eq the yamaha uses with the capability in these receivers to alter the parametric eqs, starting with where the auto EQ left off. Then, on top of that it has tone controls that have adjustable shelf points.

There is a drop off in additional features as you go down (or older) in the Denon line. Other than HDMI, I don't think there is much difference between the rxv2600 and the rxv2500 allowing you to save some money by not paying for the HDMI thing. I think you are better off running video straight to the TV instead of trying to switch or upconvert through a receiver. In addition to avoiding the compatibility problems of receivers and some cable/sat boxes and HDCP, you also give yourself the capability to adjust the video setting for each input on the TV. If everything is routed through the receiver you are stuck with the same settings for all sources.

If HDMI switching/conversion is important, the Denon 2807 is supposed to be an improvement over the 3806 for HDMI, not sure how they compare to the yamahas there. The 2807 does sacrifice some of the other features of the 3806 though. for features you can't beat the yamahas.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Personally, I'd pick the Denon but that's strictly because I've had such good experience with their AVR's. Got to say tho' that both look terrific by specs.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
I currently own the 2600 and I formerly owned the 3805. Both are great receivers. You really can't go wrong with either one, imho. It really comes down to what you need it to do, however.
It really doesn't help us for you to list the specs of each individual unit and then say, "okay, which one?" It would be better to say, "this is what I need it to do in my home," and list those things. Then, we can probably give you a better idea about which one of these receivers will do the best job for you.

"Help (us) help YOU!"

mylan

Screenwriter
I just pulled the trigger and got the 3806 but then I read in Sound and Vision that between it, the 2600, and an Integra they liked the Yamaha due to its better remote and HDMI switching capabilities. They did like the 3806 but hated the remote and wished it had better HDMI switching. I hate it when I finally make a decision and then read something like this. I have not even taken the Denon out of the box so I still have an "out".

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Interesting because I just picked up the Yamaha rx-v2600 only today mainly because of its upconverting and hdmi switching capabilities. I had the rx-v2300 prior to this.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wasn't there a comparison of the 2600 to the 3806 in S&V Mag? The 2600 won, but I believe the comments were very good WRT the 3806. Based on the price difference, I'd probably opt for the 2600.

arjun

Auditioning
I would buy the Denon based on the sound alone and the lack of a gazillion confusing surround modes. I am more into straight stereo 2 channel music and an occasional flick or two so the Denon would be my choice. Of course one must choose based on features and ease of use also so YMMV.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would buy the Denon hands down and this comes from a guy that currently owns a Yamaha reciever. Its not that Yamaha is not a good product because it is a good product. IMHO the Denon brings more to the table and offers more bang for the buck!

Denon AVR-2807 $1099
Power Output; Watts Per Channel 110 X 7
Wide Screen 7.1 Mode
Multi-Channel Stereo Mode5/6/7
Assignable Digital Inputs
True 24-bit/96-kHz Digital Input Capability
Video Conversion –Composite to S-Video to Component
Video Conversion – Analog to HDMI
1080p HDMI Switching
8-Ch. External Analog Input
+12v Trigger Output - Assignable2/25mA
Cinema EQ
RS-232 Port – Third Party Remote Controllers
Equal Power Amplifiers7 ch
Dolby Digital, dts and DSP Modes – Analog Devices, HammerHead SHARC
Auto/Manual Room Equalization
Icon-Based On-Screen Display
Assignable Component Video - 100 MHz

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3038.asp#

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I just sold my Denon 3806. . .I replaced it with a new HK-635 from JR at a greatly reduced price and for once in my receiver life I am happy. . .

I have owned several HT receivers including;
1)- Pioneer Elite VSX45TX (loved it)
2)- Denon 2805 (hated it)
3)- Pioneer Elite VSX56TXi (loved it)
4)- Pioneer VSX1014 (for the money great)
5)- HK 240 (just a bit more power it would be a giant killer)
6)- Pioneer VSX814 (never again)
7)- Denon 3806 (same problems as the 2805)
8)- HK-635

What I did not like about the 3806 might seem petty until you own it and use it every day like I did.

What I did not like;
1)- Remote
2)- Display too small to read from where I sat
3)- Volume control either too fast or too slow
4)- Clinical sound

What I did like;
1)- Easy to setup (manually)
2)- Adequate power
3)- Easy operation

I would own another one but in my mind there are better choices for the money. I had an opertunity to get out of mine right and the 635 came along for 550.00 NIB so I jumped on it and have been very pleased.

julie_v

Auditioning
Real Name
julie
i would go 2600.

i owned one for about 6 months and its video upconversion capabilities was awesome via hdmi.

sounds great too - has a little pushing 4ohm speakers but plenty of grunt for 8 ohm ones. 2ch bypass was a little lacking but im sure it is on all avr's in this price range.

you really cant go wrong with the 2600 if your after a total solution in 1 box :)

good luck

julie

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned so many brands (from Yamaha to Marantz), and when I want to upgrade, I always go back to the Denon. Once you get used to the Denon sound, you won't settle for anything else. :)

My Equipment List:

Denon AVR-4306 receiver
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player
Sony DVP-NC555ES CD/DVD Player
Infinity Entra Three Speaker System
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Panasonic TH-37PX50U Plasma Television

DonnyD

Screenwriter
A friend of mine just bought a Denon 3806, and called me to help him set it up. I found it to be very difficult to setup and the remote was atrocious. He had it hooked up to some of the best speakers known.... some old JBL 4311.... and it sucked big time. He had been running the JBLs on a Pioneer amp/Marantz pre and the dynamics were great so we know it wasn't the speakers. I tried to keep the disappointment to myself but he was very outspoken about his as his main system in an ancient Pioneer Elite that doesn't have DD or DTS processing, but has it on B&W 601... and the old Pioneer blew away the denon (yes it is lower case for lower quality). He quickly returned the unit.
I was very glad to have a Yamaha at home.

arjun

Auditioning
Donny,

Did you friend try the Denon with the B&W speakers. I have found the Denon makes a great combo with B&W. Very transparent and neutral combo. I thought the Denon measured somewhat higher output compared to the Yamaha in the S&V shootout so the lack of dynamics, esp. with JBL's which are quite sensitive, doesnt make sense. Are you sure the speakers wern't connected out of phase or something? And done rely on the Denon's auto calibration system to figure the correct polarity for you. Just a thought.

Regards,

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I wouldn't buy either of these receivers.

I'd buy the Arcam AVR350 for same money, but that's because music is a priority as well as HT and the Arcam receivers get closer to the superb sound of my dedicated 2 channel system - much better than hte Denons, Yamahas etc that I've tried (and I've had several, though not as many as Guy!).

Anything beyond this I'd be going separates.

I have the Arcam AVR300 now - will be up for the upgrade in future. Fab for music and movies. Much beetter on the highs, no glare like I hated with the other receivers I tried.

ryan.p

Stunt Coordinator
Nick both are very nice receivers in their own right. A few people have also mentioned the Denon2807. I own a Pioneer 1015 and really like it BUT wished I had gotten the HK7300. I mean that thing is a beast and it weighs in at almost 60 lbs.!!!!! In terms of power and SQ, the HK will best many separates out there on the market. The only thing is though is that the 7300 only has component video switching which may be a big issue to some. For me, it would be no big deal. HK has earned my upmost respect. That is, got the chance to hear what it could do to a full Rocket package and all I can say it was absolutely AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Somewhat off topic- but this seemed as good a place as any to post this:
The Jacksonville, FL Sound Advice stores (Tweeters) are selling thier Yamaha RX-V4600 floor models for $998. Thats half off MSRP. Maybe all Tweeter locations are doing the same? Great deal if you don't mind them being slighty used...

Jimmy

MattJensen

Auditioning

Wonder if that means a new model is coming out soon! Anyone have any news. I am looking at the 2600 myself and to be honest I think I will end of going with it unless there is a newer model right around the corner.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Hey Nick, im also thinking about purchasing a new AVR..my Yamaha RX496 is crackling on the centre channel and is just plain old. I checked out some reviews and the the 2600 looks nice.

Can anyone comment on the audio quality? I'm using Paradigm Monitor 7's. Also, i read that in 2 channel mode it wont use a sub..whats that about?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks