What's new

Hardware Review Yamaha RX-V375 Home Theater Receiver Review (3 Viewers)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think he means "video pass through in standby".

Which, no the 375 doesn't do that.

I don't think the 475 does HDMI upconversion either.

Would help if he explained what he wanted so we wouldn't have to guess. But regardless...the 375(like everybody else's bottom end AVR) doesn't do any passthrough of anything(outside of 4K passthrough...which isn't even a feature anyway...it is something that every 1.4 AVR does)

voiceoffire11

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
schan1269 said:
I think he means "video pass through in standby". Which, no the 375 doesn't do that. I don't think the 475 does HDMI upconversion either. Would help if he explained what he wanted so we wouldn't have to guess. But regardless...the 375(like everybody else's bottom end AVR) doesn't do any passthrough of anything(outside of 4K passthrough...which isn't even a feature anyway...it is something that every 1.4 AVR does)
Thanks, that does answer my question. Sorry I was not clear in the wording

C

Chris Maher

What is ARC in plain English? I have a Vizio VL-470M, 120hz smooth motion LCD and cannot find if it supports the Audio Return CHANNEL so don't know if I should hook up the optical audio out to the amp. Any ideas?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ARC is a complete pain in the arse way to not have to connect a toslink.

For me to know "why you need to use ARC/a toslink"...

Does this TV have network features and you need the audio to go into the AVR?(then yes, connect a toslink)

or...

Do you have all your sources connected to the TV and you need the audio, from them, to make it to the AVR?(this is the wrong way to do it...your sources go to the AVR first)

P

pravksetty

I too have a question around this topic. I have 7 speakers setup in the ceiling in different rooms with volume controls in each room. Can I buy this receiver to connect the speakers in different rooms. If yes, will the receiver distribute different sounds into different speakers (left front, left rear, right front, right rear and center so on.... ). Is there a way that I can configure this receiver to get the all the sound in all the speakers. Please help me and let me know.

Thanks in Advance!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
pravksetty said:
Can I buy this receiver to connect the speakers in different room?
Yes. With hoops that will cost 5 times what this AVR does.

If yes, will the receiver distribute different sounds into different speakers (left front, left rear, right front, right rear and center so on.... )?
No

Is there a way that I can configure this receiver to get the all the sound in all the speakers?
No

Thanks in Advance!

mychaelp

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I recommend the 475 easily after reading the comparison to some of the competition and pricing. I like the 4K compatible and the options for just simple good clean sound by not choosing the sound-fields options. The problem lately is the network options are significantly changed each year for the last few making it difficult to know when to buy.

David Designs

Auditioning
Real Name
David
The same question as Pravsektty,I have this receiver connected with a selector channel speakers (4) and is working, the only things is they don't have that much power if I turn the volumes up from their wall volume controls. I wonder if I'm doing wrong having this connected to the receiver or do I need to get an Amp. For this extra room speakers!Thank you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
David Designs said:
The same question as Pravsektty,I have this receiver connected with a selector channel speakers (4) and is working, the only things is they don't have that much power if I turn the volumes up from their wall volume controls. I wonder if I'm doing wrong having this connected to the receiver or do I need to get an Amp. For this extra room speakers!Thank you.
Wall volume controls are attenuators. You turn up the Yamaha and turn down the volume controls. Did you read the instructions for the volume controls?

David Designs

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Yes, when I turn the receiver volume up the speakers in every room sound louder but to loud in the leaving room with the soroundsound. I haven't read about volume control.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

David Designs

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Thank you, I will return this one and get me the 675 model hopping Best Buy can let me do that after 30 days purchased.

ignatius86

Auditioning
Real Name
Jindi
Thanks for posting that review and everyones feedback.

I'm really eager to purchase this receiver, but there is another receiver people have highly recommended which is the Sony STR-DN840.

In canada, i can get the Yamaha v375 for $300 or the Sony DN840 for $430.

I was wondering if the extra $130 would offer any improvement in sound quality compared to the yamaha?

I know the Sony DN840 has a few extra bells and whistles I don't really care for, as I'm mainly concerned about sound quality.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not get the 475?Then you get...Discrete audio outputsHDMI pass-through in standby. Those two, by themselves, are worth the extra.By the way, your speakers determine 95% of your sound quality. Picking an AVR for sound quality at this price point. The only thing that matters is IC vs. discrete. Discrete will always win.

weslion

Auditioning
Real Name
Wesley Smith
I may have the answer to your sub issue. If the speakers are set to large and the extra bass option in setup --> configuration is not turned on then the receiver will rarely if ever send any signal to the subwoofer. Personally I think this is a little strange myself because while I do agree that large speakers should produce good bass, I would assume and I would think Yamaha would also assume that if a person connects a subwoofer then they intended it to be used. However if you don't turn the extra bass option on if you have large speakers as the setting then it will seem as if your sub isn't working at all.

I also wanted to comment on the statements that the article writer made about the receiver's power. For starters it seems that Yamaha isn't making receivers with much more power than this anymore judging by the stats on all the receivers they currently offer on their website. However I assume this is because of the trend toward smaller speakers for the majority of the market and high power receivers just aren't getting the demand necessary to warrant mass production anymore. But while I agree that 100 watts doesn't APPEAR to be a strong output, if you connect this receiver to some large, quality, effecient speakers then you will find the output to be more than sufficient. Personally I have Polk TSi300 floorstanding for my front speakers and even if you don't consider my center and surround, the 100 watts is more than enough to make the TSi300s go as loud as you could ever want. If you really want or need more volume than you probably have hearing problems and also probably don't have neighbors nearby.

osbdav

Auditioning
Real Name
david
Howdy,
I am a vinyl lover looking for an AV receiver. I already have a decent preamp. I'm wondering if this receiver has the option to play my vinyl records (analog) without digital processing of the analog source. I guess I don't understand what "Direct Mode" or "Straight Decode" mean. Any insight or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the awesome review!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks