Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

10.5: Apocalypse

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 03:05 AM

Wow... it's like a four-hour train wreck. I can't look away. Continental drift, reversing course? Uh... ummm... wow... "Global community of geologists and seismologists die of laughter, film at 11."
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 03:45 AM

Hilarious! The same annoying constant use of the zoom lens which plagued the original is still present, too. Even Jesus Franco wouldn't have zoomed this often!

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 07:52 AM

This was a sequel, right ? to 10.5. So if there is such a thing as straight-to-video, can there be a straight-to-MST3k ?
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 10:24 AM

You'd think with the sequel, they would take it to 11. Posted Image

The camerawork is nausiating.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,840 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 22 2006 - 11:09 AM

Amen to that. I thought I might watch it until I saw it was done in the same incessant shaky/zooming style as the first which gave me such a headache. Are there people that actually like all the movement?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,254 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 22 2006 - 11:31 AM

Oh look, Joel, here comes Gamera!
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 11:35 AM

I think I'm going to do a short mocumentary on the cameraman that started the whole crappy shakey camera craze. Ooooh, the mockiposibilities. Posted Image

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Mary_P

Mary_P

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 10:55 AM

I dunno, I'm enjoying it. In the same way that I enjoy "Robot Monster."

I think this article about the original applies to this sequel as well:

http://www.sfgate.co....DG036CKMQ1.DTL

You just have to keep in mind that it's better seen as a drinking game, not a mini-series.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Valerie G.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted May 23 2006 - 12:06 PM

Judging from these posts, I think I'm glad I decided not to watch this. I remember the camera work in the first one quite well.....I could hardly tell what was going on, the camera shook so much!

Thanks for letting me know I'm not missing anything! Posted Image

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 04:29 AM

They should have known better. You never solve the big problem before the last commercial break.

Anyone else successfully predict that at least one brother was toast?
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,017 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 06:25 AM

And you knew their was no way of stopping the big fault from seperating the continents....Its the money shot. Posted Image

Also, can you imagine how f-ed up ours and the worlds economy would be after these devestations??
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   WadeLil

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 04:31 AM

Well im just glad they didnt pull out some solution to solve the nation being torn apart.I thought thats where they was going with it,but im glad they didnt like usual.
1988-IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK
2005-IT TOOK A NATION OF SELLOUTS TO HOLD US BACK.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 05:09 AM

I'm certain that the third 10.5 miniseries will have the President being impeached for overacting.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,457 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 09:43 PM

Well they don't really do disaster movies the way they used to in the 70s. Back then, they were just chock-full of aging celebrities wasting their careers away. I think the 3rd 10.5 should take us back to those bygone days. Imagine the subplots: Melissa Gilbert and Jeff Conaway sinking into the La Brea tar pits, while Kirk Cameron and Tina Yothers cling for dear life to a stuffed dinosaur Stockard Channing, Sherman Hemsley and Susan Lucci trapped on an inverted Eiffel Tower, trying to climb their way up. Or down. Heather Locklear and Luke Perry trapped in the Indian Ocean on a lifeboat; no food, no clothes, just each other. John Travolta, Martin Sheen, Lindsay Wagner and Suzanne Somers, all trapped aboard Air Force One, the fuel running out, and no place to land because the damn 10.5 earthquake is shaking up the land ever so. Meanwhile, Jason Priestly is coming down from a drug high and needs a quick fix, so in his delirium he pulls a gun on Marina Sirtis, who's a government scientist and the key to ending the horrible earthquakes and restabilizing the earth... Yeah, I'd so see that movie.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,266 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 11:15 AM

I must agree with the original poster, it was a complete train wreck and I couldn't walk away. I taped it and finally got around to wasting a few hours of my life and watched this last night. Didn't time it exactly, but the 4 hours minus commercials, previews of upcoming scenes, part 1 recap etc. probably may have been 2 1/2 hours. This thing was hilarious it was so bad. Those poor actors, they're not even on the "D" list, they've sunk way beyond that point in their careers. Was really sad to see the detective from Medium in this, he could do so much better. And the major Poseidon Adventure ripoff, how could a writer with any dignity even have the nerve to try and pass that off as original. As for the camera work, oh my gosh. Did they train a monkey to point the camera and pull the zoom lens "in in in out out in in out in in out in out", etc. It was horrible. I guess they were trying to make those scenes feel suspenseful, but they just came off as nauseating and ridiculous. If this comes out on DVD it may be worth a 99 cent rental for a good laugh. Overall, what a pathetic piece of crap. It really makes you wonder about the people running the studios that garbage like this actually gets made.
Stan

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,457 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 01:24 AM

Stan, it was just bad. But it should have been BAD, as in so bad it's fun to watch. 10.5 was just bad-bad. Not good-bad. If they're not going to have fun with it, why make it? Frankly, they just don't know how to make made-for tv movies anymore...it's like they forgot how because there's so few of them. There's so little entertainment value in 10.5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users