Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking For The Paper Chase (TV SERIES) on DVD!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Jack Platt

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 01:54 PM

Guys, Anyone know if or when this gem of a series with the great Prof. Charles Kingsfield, played beyond brilliantly by John Houseman will be released to DVD? As some who were fortunate enough to remember this landmark series, CBS picked it up in the Fall of 1978. However, it ran for only one season. Than in the Fall of 1984, Showtime, which was a fairly new premium cable channel at the time picked it up for two more years. (Appropriately titled...The Paper Chase, Second Year....Third Year.) (ect.) This was one of my favorite series of all time, and it was so good you felt like you were watching a law school documentary, instead of a series! I can't say enough great things about it. What's the status on a potential DVD release? I belive this is a 20th Century Fox project, correct? Jack

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 12:40 AM

I don't have any information, but I would also like to see Mr Hart, Ford, etc. Always enjoyable. I was in college while the show had the initial run and many aspects of college life were dead on.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Art_AD

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 02:40 AM

The movie was great but I think the series was much better. I hope it comes out too! Maybe as an extra they can add some of the commercials John Houseman did. He was a very talented person (great actor, producer).

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug_B

Doug_B

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 02:50 AM

How were the Showtime seasons relative to the first on CBS? I only saw episodes of the first season. Thanks. Doug

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,042 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 24 2006 - 03:24 AM

I loved this series, both on CBS and Showtime. I would definitely buy all three seasons. I also agree with Art that the TV series was even better than the movie (which I also enjoyed). The character development over the length of the series was very well done, which just cannot be accomplished in the same depth in a two hour film (just to state the obvious Posted Image ).

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Jack Platt

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 12:41 PM

Doug, They were great! They followed Hart and his fellow study group students through the second and third year of law school. Everything was the same from what I remember except it went from CBS to Showtime. The old cable channel Nostalgia picked up the series around the mid 90's and this was when I first had seen it! (Cuz we didn't have cable back in the time when Showtime first ran it.) They ran all three years. BTW Nostalgia changed to GoodLife TV, now it's called American Life TV. We should contact them (ALTV) and see if they can get it! Jack

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,042 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 07 2007 - 04:06 AM

I'm digging up an old thread after watching the film The Paper Chase last night. I cannot find any rumors of the release of this great TV show anywhere. Has any new information on a possible release surfaced?

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 05:22 AM

The show is owned by Fox so good luck. They are the worst, unless it's a show from the last decade or so. Best bet - find people who recorded them off of Showtime. You'll be waiting a long time for Fox to help you.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,924 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 05:27 AM

True, true. I may sound like a broken record, but I've complained forever on this board at how Fox has neglected most of its pre-1980 shows, and this is a fine example.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 03:21 PM

Professor Kingsfield, voiceover, "you come here with a skullfull of mush ... and you leave here thinking like a LAWYER!" Between CBS and Showtime, a truly great show and James Stephens was Hart. This needs a release.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users