What's new

Looking For The Paper Chase (TV SERIES) on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

Anyone know if or when this gem of a series with the great Prof. Charles Kingsfield, played beyond brilliantly by John Houseman will be released to DVD? As some who were fortunate enough to remember this landmark series, CBS picked it up in the Fall of 1978. However, it ran for only one season. Than in the Fall of 1984, Showtime, which was a fairly new premium cable channel at the time picked it up for two more years. (Appropriately titled...The Paper Chase, Second Year....Third Year.) (ect.)

This was one of my favorite series of all time, and it was so good you felt like you were watching a law school documentary, instead of a series! I can't say enough great things about it. What's the status on a potential DVD release? I belive this is a 20th Century Fox project, correct?

Jack

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't have any information, but I would also like to see Mr Hart, Ford, etc.

Always enjoyable. I was in college while the show had the initial run and many aspects of college life were dead on.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
The movie was great but I think the series was much better. I hope it comes out too! Maybe as an extra they can add some of the commercials John Houseman did. He was a very talented person (great actor, producer).

Doug_B

Screenwriter
How were the Showtime seasons relative to the first on CBS? I only saw episodes of the first season.

Thanks.

Doug

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I loved this series, both on CBS and Showtime. I would definitely buy all three seasons. I also agree with Art that the TV series was even better than the movie (which I also enjoyed). The character development over the length of the series was very well done, which just cannot be accomplished in the same depth in a two hour film (just to state the obvious :) ).

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

Doug,

They were great! They followed Hart and his fellow study group students through the second and third year of law school. Everything was the same from what I remember except it went from CBS to Showtime.

The old cable channel Nostalgia picked up the series around the mid 90's and this was when I first had seen it! (Cuz we didn't have cable back in the time when Showtime first ran it.) They ran all three years.

BTW Nostalgia changed to GoodLife TV, now it's called American Life TV. We should contact them (ALTV) and see if they can get it!

Jack

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm digging up an old thread after watching the film The Paper Chase last night. I cannot find any rumors of the release of this great TV show anywhere. Has any new information on a possible release surfaced?

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
The show is owned by Fox so good luck. They are the worst, unless it's a show from the last decade or so. Best bet - find people who recorded them off of Showtime. You'll be waiting a long time for Fox to help you.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
True, true. I may sound like a broken record, but I've complained forever on this board at how Fox has neglected most of its pre-1980 shows, and this is a fine example.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Professor Kingsfield, voiceover, "you come here with a skullfull of mush ... and you leave here thinking like a LAWYER!"

Between CBS and Showtime, a truly great show and James Stephens was Hart.

This needs a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks