Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Specs for HD-DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 09:09 AM

I thought HD-DVD didn't support 1080p. And extras will be SD

Click here to go to DVDtimes

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 05:51 PM

From what I have been hearing:

Discs themselves will all be 1080P for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. They basically will all be made from the same film masters.

HD-DVD 1st generation players will be 1080I players. But, 2nd generation players and beyond will be 1080P players. 2nd gen. players are due out around the holidays.

There will be a filmware update available for 1st generation HD-DVD players to play 1080P material as well. Of course assuming you have a HDMI/1080P capable television.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 09:00 PM

Quote:
There will be a filmware update available for 1st generation HD-DVD players to play 1080P material as well.

That is a totally unbsubstantiated rumour by a retailer that has proven to be wrong more than once.

Don't count on it.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Greg T

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 12:23 AM

That is not a rumour....its an outright lie.....or lack of knowledge on there part.
There will be no 1080p or hdmi 1.3 upgrade to the first gen Toshibas via firmware or hardware upgrades in the future.

What you buy is all you get.Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
There will be a filmware update available for 1st generation HD-DVD players to play 1080P material as well.

Just to clarify semantics...

ALL HD DVD players will play "1080P material"...what they WON'T do is output a 1080P signal to your display.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 05:12 PM

Quote:
What you buy is all you get.
Can you say; Hosed?
Bless them though, for these HD dogooders (getbadders?) help get the HiDef ball rolling for all of us!
At too great a cost, for me however.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 06:05 PM

Yup, let the early adopters be the guinea pigs this time around because I certainly won't be buying in until the dust settles.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   David Stanley

David Stanley

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 06:09 AM

It doesn't matter how many whiz-bang features you get on a 1st gen machine (including 1080p output on BR players). Invariably, 2nd or 3rd gen players will likely have new features that will compel upgrades. When dvd came out, the machines didn't have components outs or progressive scan, yet somehow dvd survived.
David

HD-DVD Supporter. The 1080p solution.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
When dvd came out, the machines didn't have components outs or progressive scan, yet somehow dvd survived.

True. DVD survived upgrades. However, "progressive scan" was not on the horizon at the time of DVD's first release. Scalers were very expensive at the time. Features we are talking about on HD-DVD are known to be coming, soon!

i thought first gen DVD players did have component?
Anyone?

DVD players did not survive lacking 10 bit video DAC's (some first gen only had 9 bit) & DTS (flag). DTS was not on any first gen players, yet it was known to be coming and people did indeed wait for DTS DVD players.

First gen HD-DVD players are going to sell what they are going to sell. Nothing stops those first time buyers. Just, second gen player (1080p output, 1.3 HDMI, etc.) sales will be a better reflection of the interest in HD-DVD.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,793 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
When dvd came out, the machines didn't have components outs or progressive scan

Actually, component outputs were there right at the very beginning. Not ALL players had them , but they were without a doubt available right at launch.

My Toshiba SD-3006, which I bought in March '97 before any movies were available, certainly had them.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,798 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 24 2006 - 08:57 PM

Yup, let the early adopters be the guinea pigs this time around because I certainly won't be buying in until the dust settles.

Amen to that! This game's getting too expensive for me to be an early adopter anymore. I'll wait until mid - late 2007 before looking at upgrading to a hd-player. Maybe by then the format war will just about be over and I can get a HD set with HDMI inputs. And if the war is still going then, I have no problem holding off until it is over.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted March 25 2006 - 06:34 AM

Clinton,
Would you consider a "maga-multi" universal player?
Or, are you worried about support for both formats till the war is over?

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow