What's new

Just got a RF Demodulator for laserdisc player--need suggestions for movies (1 Viewer)

Tony Int

Agent
I just got the Yamaha DDP-1 and am looking for suggestions of discs that have great sound using the AC-3 track. I do own hundreds of discs, but am always adding to my collection. I already have suggestions of True Lies which I do own and Star Wars Episode I, which I will hunt for. Any others?

Thanks,

T.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
- "Volcano" (fun check-your-brain-at-the-door movie; this one will crack your foundation even w/out a subwoofer)
- "Twister" (I have not heard the DTS DVD, but IMO this beats the DD version)
- "Titanic" (again, IMO this beats the first DVD release - haven't heard the recent special edition)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Perhaps the greatest Dolby Digital mix remains Mission Impossible on laserdisc. This thing is dynamic. A tad bright but has one of the most detailed and rich mixes I've heard. Totally destroys the dvd version.

others:
Saving Private Ryan DD laserdisc is VERY powerful. Make sure household items are secure.

The Relic

The Matrix

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
There may be a special edition DVD imminent, but I recommend Mission Impossible because the AC3 track on that is sooo loud.

Heat is another great mix, and one that sounds better than the DVD IMO, with crisper effects and some trouser-flapping bass.

If you're an Alien fan I'd pick up the THX AC3 disc of that one. It's derived from the 70mm soundtrack and sounds better than any other Alien mix I've heard (even the full-rate dts track from the DVHS edition). It features alternate dialogue too.

EDIT: Gah! Tim got there first with Mission Impossible.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
The first LD to carry an AC-3 track was Paramount's Patriot Games. I have it, but couldn't tell you how it sounds because I still don't have a demodulator myself...

I was corrected below - it was Clear & Present Danger.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Congratulations! AC-3 Laserdisc freaking RULES!!

I still use a Pioneer VSX-D606S receiver because of its onboard RF demodulator. And I even have a 557 as a backup in case the 606S ever dies.

I highly recommend:

Strange Days
Courage Under Fire
Amadeus
(Pioneer Special Edition)
Forrest Gump
Titanic
Saving Private Ryan
James and the Giant Peach
Goldeneye
My Fair Lady

And remember that Laserdisc owners can enjoy the actual, original versions of Star Wars episodes IV, V, and VI instead of the bastardized $pecial Editions available on DVD!

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Do'h! I always thought "True Lies" was the first.... what were the first few titles...?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
True Lies and Clear & Present Danger for sure...

beyond that and this is just from memory:

Star Trek-First Contact
Forrest Gump
Strange Days
Batman Forever
Outbreak

I'm sure the real laser whores on the HTF will be a better source for info ;) :D

Top Gun was another one but had WAY overcooked bass.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Up until yesterday True Lies would have made my list. But I just got the R2 DTS DVD of True Lies from Japan. The laser is going on eBay this weekend. All of the Jack Ryan films have great DD tracks, but the DTS DVDs sound equally as good to my ears. Oh, and don't forget, Hunt For Red October DD LD was botched in it's first pressing run. Unless the red dot is still stuck to the back of the jacket, there's no way to tell a good one from a bad one. So stick with the DVDs. They're safer, and look better too!

My favorite DD laser mix is still the Japanese laserdisc of The Phantom Menace. It also doesn't hurt that it's the original theatrical version, with a much better, more tightly edited, podrace sequence.

Honorable mentions:
* In the Mouth of Madness
* Braveheart
* The Lost World (f'ing obliterates both DVD editions)
* Supercop (Criterion Collection)
and finally...
* Star Wars Episode IV (from the SE box set). This is the 5.1 mix that should have been on the DVD. Beautiful in every way.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I myself am partial to the 5.1 AC-3 soundtrack of the Wings of Honneamise Sound Renewal Edition; this is a remix from the original stems, created for the theatrical rerelease of the film in '98, and the original non-surround stereo mix is on the PCM track.
Unfortunately, since this is [after all] a fairly little-known-in-the-West bit of Japanese animation, and the two AC-3 editions are fairly late Japan-only releases, I don't imagine you're going to be listening to it in the forseeable future.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Sorry Lyle, but even Ridley Scott remarked how good the 6-track audio for Alien sounded back in the day (listen to the commentary on the original DVD). It may be a bit, er, 'choppy' ;) but I like it a lot, and while it's not a truly great mix it's a real curio for Alien fans. It does have some lovely deep bass though, bass that far outshines the anaemic DVD and DVHS editions. Just thought I'd throw it out there...

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Independence Day. I actually bought the DVD edition hoping the improved picture quality would be a draw, but the sound was so lacking the punch I got from the Laserdisc that I sold it.

Hm. Mission Impossible. I'll have to try and find that one somewhere while the Laserdisc player still works. :)

Another title. Contact. I jump every time side B starts up! :D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
IT's still a great mix on LD.

So far good recommendations.

Beyond what has been mentioned, I think Heat should be added. It obliterates the DVD.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Forgot about The Phantom Menace too! Glad Lyle mentioned it. Fantastic mix and better movie edit for sure!

Have heard raves about the Heat ld. Must be something special.

Another one that came to mind was U2-Rattle & Hum. It was one of the early AC-3 lasers I think?

There are many laserdisc lovefest threads on the HTF and I won't rehash comments except to say that I remember the feeling when I would get a great LD title, thinking I had something not everyone had since Laserdisc was such a niche product. Those glamorous covers were special and this feeling of coolness if you will isn't there with DVD. I love dvd and the image is superior for sure...but so far collecting dvds hasn't been as fun as those days in the early to mid '90s going down to Suncoast Motion Picture Company and picking up my lasers. :b

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Keith,

Only LD players that have the capability to output an AC-3 signal (the original name for Dolby Digital; "Audio Codec 3", I think). Since the signal is recorded on the analog track of an LD, a demodulator is needed to "translate" this to something that the digital input on most AV receivers can understand. DVD does not need this because the Dolby Digital signal is already digital, and thus no conversion is needed. Many older AV receivers had a built-in demodulator, but since DVD does not need one, this has fallen by the way side...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks