What's new

Just got a RF Demodulator for laserdisc player--need suggestions for movies (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
What Derek said.

I had a very old pre-AC-3 laserdisc player so I was never able to play the DD track on any LD I got. By '95 (when Clear & Present Danger - not Partiot Games came out), upper-mid and higher lines of AV Recievers started adding built-in demodulators as more LDs got the AC-3 track.

I figured at some point I would upgrade my player and my receiver.

By the time I got my Yamaha RXV-1000 (still in use) in 2001, the DVD was already big and Yamaha had dropped the demodulator from pretty much all their receivers. The Chinese models still had it, but not any other version of their units. And then, finally, two years ago my old Sony LD player dies, and I found a Pioneer 704 that has AC-3 output capability. But I still can't demodulate it yet.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Tony Kwong: I was under the distinct impression that the DDP-2, which appears in the list you linked, supported dts but did not have an RF input for AC-3: it was to be paired with an AP-D1 or the like, I guess.

EDIT: having just had a look at the Yamaha owners' manuals, it appears that the DDP-2 and DDP-10 both require an outboard RF demodulator, and neither one processes dts or PCM signals.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
The movie itself is something of a love it or hate it affair, but I've always enjoyed the mondo powerful bass of the Event Horizon mix. Never bothered with the current DVD (re-mastered, and anamorphic this time, disc is due shortly). Cheers.

DS.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Sorry Tony, for invading you thread!

Rember AC-3 sounds pretty good but be sure to compare it the the PCM tracks as well. Some of them actually sound better than the AC-3 track.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Depends on the criteria you're using. Obviously, channel separation and LFE are going to be much more effective in AC-3 5.1 than PCM 2.0. On the other hand, the PCM track is the "higher-fidelity" medium, in terms of analytical [not necessarily perceptible] performance and of preserving the "fine detail" of the soundtrack. That's one of the reasons I like the HONNEMAISE example so well: the stereo track is [as I understand it] a true two-channel mix, rather than a matrix-surround mix, so I have my choice of two discrete-channel soundtracks. I'm not sure about the analog mono track, whether it's a mixdown from the stereo or prepared in '88 for mono theatres.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The PCM track on Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus is supposed to be played in 2-channel stereo also.

Tony Int

Agent
Thanks for all the information. Tony, no need to apologize, the info discussed is very informative. I have been very busy working/commitments and have not yet had the chance to hook up the demodulator and give it a test run. I also checked out some places here in NYC that carry used laserdiscs and found a couple that were suggested. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

T.

Tony Int

Agent
Finally hooked it up, and boy does it sound sweet. I have listened to/watched True Lies and GoldenEye and they are just amazing.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The Goldeneye laserdisc has some overblown bass but it's a powerful mix. True Lies sounds great too. Glad you're enjoying your new toy! :)

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
This brings back sweet memories of my Sony STR DE 1015G AV Receiver that had the built-in AC-3 RF Demodulator. I used to blast Goldeneye, Spawn, Twister & The Phantom Menace laser disc on that badboy. Damn shame they stopped making receivers with built-in AC-3 RFs along with DTS so I can enjoy my laser disc and dvds'.

greg_t

Screenwriter
There are a few recievers with RF demodulators still built in, but they are generally the high end, flagship recievers. My Pioneer Elite 59TXi still has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks