Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Alien vs. Predator 2 in the works

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
233 replies to this topic

#1 of 234 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 08:13 AM

I am as surprised as you are. I'm expecting it to be total crap, then I might be able to enjoy it this time.

http://www.rottentom....entryid=285685

Aiming for an August 2007 release.

I guess hitting rock bottom for both franchises wasn't enough. Now they have to dig.

#2 of 234 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,906 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted January 27 2006 - 08:19 AM

They ought to combine it with Doom 2. It could be the cinematic equivalent of an AvP mod for Doom 3. Posted Image

#3 of 234 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted January 27 2006 - 08:53 AM

IMO, they hadn't hit rock bottom yet with the Predator, I love Predator 2 and they could have easily have made a third film if it weren't for the passing of Kevin Peter Hall who was signed on for two more I believe at the time of his death.

AVP has grown on me with each viewing and would like a second one. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#4 of 234 OFFLINE   Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 09:35 AM

I'm glad they're making a sequel.

There's some serious "overhate" for the original.

#5 of 234 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 11:01 AM

Yes. Now I can spread the hate across two movies!
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#6 of 234 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
There's some serious "overhate" for the original.

I disagree, it should have been easy to satisfy most of the "AvP" fanbase but the film still managed to outrage people that weren't expecting much. Nobody expected anything but a mindless action movie out of "AvP" but that's what we got, but the problem is simple: it's not a good mindless action movie. Everyone wanted the first film to be good, it just wasn't. "AvP" has the box-office record for the highest opening weekend for a film that didn't ever reach the $100,000,000 mark. That really sums up the way the film was recieved: the concept itself is enough to get a lot of people into a theater but everyone seemed to jump ship when the actual quality of the film was revealed. Like most others, "AvP" was probably the single most disappointing moviegoing experience of my life but I'll still remain optimistic about any future "AvP" movies. I just hope that they learn from the huge mistakes made on the first film.

Anyways, I hope they see a future "AvP" movie as an opportunity to right the previous film's wrongs. They alienated the fanbase, robbed both franchises of all credibility and exhausted the "I gotta see that" factor. When this movie is released, they're gonna have to deal with the die-hard fans that felt betrayed by the first one and the casual moviegoer with the "been there, done that" attitude towards another on-screen pairing. The only way "AvP2" won't definitively kill both franchises is if it's... SHOCK... actually GOOD! That's what they need to be worrying about, hiring a great writer (which already doesn't seem likely, since they already have a script which seemed to come out of nowhere) and a visionary director.

and also, THEY NEED TO GET STAN WINSTON STUDIOS TO DO THE CREATURE EFFECTS! ADI is capable of doing the Aliens but they really botched the Predators.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#7 of 234 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 12:12 PM

That serious "Overhate" is well earned.

#8 of 234 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 12:33 PM

No such thing as overhate for a movie like AvP.

#9 of 234 OFFLINE   Josh.C

Josh.C

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 12:44 PM

I would usually be in agreement with all of you, saying that this movie stunk. However, for whatever reason, I actually kind of liked it. Maybe it was because I expected absolutely nothing. Maybe not a buyer, but definitely a fun movie.

I have mixed feelings about a sequel, and not even sure if I will see it. But who knows, the first one surprised me.

#10 of 234 OFFLINE   Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 12:56 PM

It was a damn sight better than Alien3 "theatrical" and Alien Ressurection.

At least AvP tried to be entertaining.

No, it wasn't anywhere near the first two alien movies, but that ship sailed a LONG time ago.

#11 of 234 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 01:15 PM

Quote:
It was a damn sight better than Alien3 "theatrical" and Alien Ressurection.

At least AvP tried to be entertaining.

Not only would I disagree with you, the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes rankings also disagree with you. In the eyes of the vast majority of the fanbase, Paul WS Anderson managed to make a movie significantly worse than "Alien3", "Alien Resurrection" and "Predator 2". I not only think that "Alien vs. Predator" is much more of a tedious viewing experience, it is completely artless, which certainly can't be said about the films Fincher and Jeunet made, and Stephen Hopkins isn't the most artistic director ever but he's actually a competant technical director, unlike PWSA.

Here are their scores. The percentages are from the Tomatometer, the other number is from IMDB:

Alien: 100%,93%(DC)/8.4
Aliens: 100%/8.3
Predator: 79%/7.4
Predator 2: 25%/5.5
Alien3: 33%/6.2
Alien Resurrection: 52%/6.0
Alien vs. Predator: 22%/5.4
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#12 of 234 OFFLINE   Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 03:11 PM

Whatever. Like or dislike AvP, it doesn't bother me either way.

I just dont get the hate, never will.

I'm looking forward to a sequel. I just hope they set it in the far future. Posted Image

#13 of 234 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 03:23 PM

It's easy to understand the hate. A hack director took a potential franchise goldmine and made a mindless, non-entertaining Bay-esque action flick without a single redeeming quality. Worse, he made up his own story instead of simply adapting one of the several good stories already out there.

#14 of 234 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 06:38 PM

I usually hate sequels that totally ignore the previous entry, but I'd be all for it in this case. Posted Image
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#15 of 234 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 06:42 PM

Quote:
without a single redeeming quality.

I wouldn't say that. That first Alien and Predator fight was pretty cool.

#16 of 234 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 07:15 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. That first Alien and Predator fight was pretty cool.

and I wouldn't say THAT.

#17 of 234 OFFLINE   Sebastien S

Sebastien S

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted January 27 2006 - 09:41 PM

I don't hate AVP, I saw it in theatres and bought the original DVD. I admit that they "droped the ball" and it could have been better. To me the movie was "Ok"... Not good but not bad either.

The only movie I can't stand is "Alien Resurection", that one's a turd!!!

I love all the others including "Alien 3" & "Predator 2".
Regards

-Seb

My DVD's

#18 of 234 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted January 28 2006 - 05:01 AM

Perhaps my original post was too harsh, but you must understand that AvP was like a punch to the face for me, a very big Alien and to a lesser extent Predator fan.

I admit to liking some parts, like seeing what a Queen would be capable of in a large area and not just cramped hallways. And overall the Aliens themselves were brilliantly realized. Even the CGI was pretty good.

Oh, and Mr. Weyland playing the knife trick with his pen was awesome!!

But other than that, total turd. The guy with the digital camera that keeps talking about his kids ranks up there with the most annoying characters in cinema history for me.

It's really more disappointment than hate. My original opinion of the film was clouded by the few cool parts. Seeing it a second time, I realized just how BAD it is.

Quote:
I usually hate sequels that totally ignore the previous entry, but I'd be all for it in this case.
Amen to that.

#19 of 234 OFFLINE   Tony-M

Tony-M

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted January 28 2006 - 06:47 AM

I am of the opinion that Alien Resurrection was a horrible movie. I have several comic books of AVP (I bought years ago) several of them have a female being a champion in the end of the comic. So I the movie kept close to that concept. A lot of sci fi - horror movies have been doing this going on in comic books when there show is canceled. The latest example is Angel.

As much as all these people complain I bet they will go see another AVP.

Bottom line I thought the movie was going to suck, but it was better than I gave credit for. ('Posted Image')

#20 of 234 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted January 28 2006 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
Oh, and Mr. Weyland playing the knife trick with his pen was awesome!!

Really? I thought it was insulting, it was a pathetic attempt at pandering to the fanbase's sense of familiarity. Anyone could add stuff like that into the movie, it's not clever in the least.

Quote:
I have several comic books of AVP (I bought years ago) several of them have a female being a champion in the end of the comic.

I'm not sexist, I don't object to the fact that a female earned the respect of the Preds, I object to how the character was completely unremarkable and undeserving of said respect. What did she do? She held up a spear as an Alien attacked her. People object to the Predator/Lex pairing for one reason: as a writer, Paul WS Anderson failed to make it believable.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow