What's new

Skyline Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member

SKYLINE

Studio: Universal/Rogue (Movie originally produced by Hydraulx Entertainment)

Year: 2010

Length:  1 hr 34 mins

Genre:  Science Fiction/Alien Invasion

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1

BD Resolution: 1080p

BD Video Codec: AVC (@ an average 32 mbps)

Color/B&W: Color

Audio:

English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (@ an average 3.7 mbps)

Spanish DTS 5.1

French DTS 5.1

English DVS 2.0

Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Film Rating: PG-13 (Some “Intense” Sci-Fi Action and Violence, Some Language, Brief Sexual Content)

Release Date: March 22, 2011

Starring:  Eric Balfour, Scottie Thompson, Brittany Daniel, with David Zayas and Donald Faison

Written by:  Joshua Cordes & Liam O’Donnell

Directed by: Greg Strause and Colin Strause

Film Rating:    1/5  

Noting that Skyline is derivative is kind of like saying that fire is hot and water is wet – it’s so self-evident that it feels silly having to put it down on paper.  But for those who haven’t seen this film and may be curious – this is certainly not the heavy duty alien invasion extravaganza promised by all those commercials and trailers.  Even the packaging is misleading here – the back trumpets that this movie comes “from the visual effects masterminds behind Avatar, Iron Man 2 and 300!”  Yes, Colin and Greg Strause were involved with the CGI for those movies, but they certainly didn’t conceive of everything.  It would be more accurate to have said the movie comes “from the guys that directed Alien vs. Predator: Requiem!”  

When you actually get down to the movie here, you’ll find that the story at hand is quite literally lifted from multiple science fiction films, mostly ones dealing with alien invasions.  The story here finds the characters and the audience trapped in a high-rise condo when aliens viciously attack Los Angeles and begin abducting and mutating the human population.  There’s a bit of The Matrix here, in the squid-like design of some of the alien craft, and a bit of Transformers in some of the other machine designs.  There’s a bit of District 9 here, in the arresting visual of the alien craft floating above Los Angeles, and in a concept about a human being affected by alien techno-biology.  There’s a more substantial lift from the 2005 War of the Worlds and from Cloverfield in the notion of everyday people being caught up in an invasion/monster situation.  And there’s the lifts of the dogfights and motherships from Independence Day, which in itself was happily lifting from any other sci-fi movie it could find.  And I won’t even get into the similarities to another alien invasion film that just opened in theaters – I’ll just point the readers to the directors’ IMDB pages for that discussion. 

When you get past all that, the question remains whether this movie holds together as its own piece.  For me, the answer is a clear and fervent “NO.”  The problem isn’t the acting so much – the cast is clearly doing the best they can to work their way through this material – particularly Scottie Thompson and David Zayas, but there just isn’t any substance to the writing, and thus there is no foundation from which to build a performance.   It’s also clear that the actual production of the live action material was an extremely low budget matter.  The movie was shot in HD at director Greg Strause’s condo in Marina Del Rey, so a majority of the film is spent inside with the blinds closed.  Some scenes take place up on the roof of the building, and there’s a bit of work in the garage and down by the pool.  And, in material clearly shot as part of later reshoots, there’s a quick scene shot at LAX and a few helicopter POV shots of various cities around the world.  But the movie is self-limited to the Strause condo, which is a bit of a strait jacket for a movie that wants to present itself as a large-scale alien invasion adventure.   I’ll grant that the Strauses’ abilities with CGI are quite strong, and the various shots that use CGI look very good, particularly given the low budget, almost all of which went to the CGI.  But as we have learned from many films, going back to The Black Hole, good visual effects cannot be substituted for good storytelling. 

Skyline was released on Blu-ray this past Tuesday.   The Blu-ray edition has a high definition picture and sound transfer, along with a pair of commentaries and a few extras, as well as the usual BD-Live, pocket BLU and D-Box functionality.

VIDEO QUALITY   3/5

Skyline is presented in a 1080p AVC 2.40:1 transfer that looks okay, considering the extremely limited budget and the HD cameras used in the process.  But the CGI looks quite good, particularly the CGI makeup enhancements done to various cast members as they are possessed by the unfriendly aliens.   I should note that I am watching the film on a 40” Sony XBR2 HDTV. If anyone is watching the film on a larger monitor and is having issues, please post them on this thread.

AUDIO QUALITY   4 ½/5

Skyline is presented in an English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix that is easily the most satisfying element on this Blu-ray.  This is truly an immersive mix, with sounds popping up directionally all across the home theater.   The surrounds are used both for music and for directional effects to truly place the audience in the middle of the condo as chaos happens right outside the window.

SPECIAL FEATURES      2/5

The Blu-Ray presentation of Skyline comes with a pair of commentaries and a few special features, to go along with the usual BD-Live, pocket BLU and D-Box functionality:

Commentary with Greg and Colin Strause – The two directors talk through the movie in this scene-specific commentary, mostly just laughing and enjoying themselves as the story unfolds.  There are a few surprising comments at the film’s conclusion, where they openly state that they’re hoping to make a sequel, as they see this movie as a comic book origin story.  (In my house, a very loud “HUH?” was heard after that comment…)

Commentary with Liam O’Donnell and Joshua Cordes – The two writers talk through this scene-specific commentary, mostly just enjoying themselves.  There are no major breakthroughs here – although I hoped that the writers might have been able to shed more light on what thought process was happening.

Deleted Scenes – (6:00 Total, 1080p)  7 Deleted and/or extended scenes are presented here, with optional commentary by the writers and directors.  There’s nothing crucial here – most of this is just additional material for the beginning of the movie, before the action really begins.

Alternate Scenes – (2:30 Total, 1080p)  Two alternate scenes are presented here, also with optional commentary.

Pre-Viz – (9:59 Total, 1080p, DTS-HD MA Sound)  Here we have a pair of pre-viz sequences that show the early concepts of how a pool chase and a rooftop combat scene were initially designed.  Like the other materials, optional commentary is available here.

Trailers – (3:58 Total, 1080p)  The teaser trailer and final release trailer are presented here in HD.  If anything, the trailers make one wonder what Dan Rather was thinking when he agreed to appear in this…

BD-Live – The usual BD-Live functionality is present.

Pocket BLU – The usual pocket BLU functionality is present.

D-Box – The Blu-ray is designed to accommodate those viewers who have D-Box technology in their homes.

The movie is subtitled in English, French and Spanish, and there is an English DVS track as well.  The usual chapter and pop-up menus are present.

IN THE END...

Skyline is not a movie I can in good conscience recommend, even for rental.  The Blu-ray at least presents the movie as well as can be done, but there just isn’t anything of substance to discuss.  The extra features unfortunately reveal very little about what was really going on during the making of this movie.

Kevin Koster

March 27, 2011. 

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
In case anyone is actually thinking about purchasing the Best Buy exclusive double sided Blu-ray/DVD disc, I'd like to warn you of its defective design. The copy that I purchased (yes, I actually bought a copy) isn't your normal double sided disc. It is two discs that are glued together back to back. Neither my Blu-ray player nor my PC would play the disc.

You can read more about it in the thread I started on this issue:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/310067/skyline-best-buy-exclusive-blu-ray-dvd-problems

Ernest

Supporting Actor
My BluRay purchase was from Amazon and played perfectly. I agree with the review great special effects with a weak storyline. Civilians trapped in a high rise condo trying to escape the alien invaders to get to a boat where they think they will be safe. Nevertheless, I liked the movie because of its simple storyline.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
This film was incredibly derivative, as Kevin said, but I enjoyed it anyway. It's not any sort of classic, but IMO it's a perfectly decent SF/ horror B-picture.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bought it blind and loved it. I've seen it 3x's since. Sci-fi films like these are my favorite. Just like Sucker Punch, 99%+ of the general movie going audience hated it, me, I loved every minute of it.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
So I saw this in a theater (even though I was warned not to) but was the whole "claymation" over the credits done because they ran out of money to actually finish the film or what?

Seemed very odd....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good question. I wonder if they mention the reasoning in the commentaries. I actually thought it was kinda neat. :)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
SPOILERS ON THIS:

As I recall, the directors don't really talk about the effect style so much as their inexplicable thought that they've just made a comic book origin story. They and the writers mention that the original ending just had the couple getting lifted into the air and sucked into the ship. The whole CGI fight inside the ship was added later.

You're correct that they didn't have very much money, and they had already spent almost all of it on the CGI for the rest of the movie. As they describe their budget, they put in 500K to shoot the live action material at the condo. Then they were given an additional 9.5 million to generate the CGI and polish the movie. Given that this stuff was added late, it's not too far off to say that they'd expended most of that 9.5 before they did those credit shots.

I'd go back and listen to the commentary again, but I'm honestly not feeling that masochistic today...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks