What's new

Alien vs. Predator 2 in the works (1 Viewer)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I had no problems with AvP.

I didn't expect it to win an Oscar. This is alien vs predator, not brokeback mountain.

The same goes for the folks that were bashing Freddy vs Jason.

These movies are meant to be campy and enjoyed.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'd say Anderson is much better than Boll, and in turn Bay is much better than Anderson. Michael Bay's big-budget epics are completely uninteresting to me but it seems to me that he's got some technical ability. I've never seen "Pearl Harbor" but I imagine you wouldn't be able to pick up on 95% of the problems people had with it if you watched it on "mute". His movies are bad for other reasons, and if given a good script and cast, I imagine Bay would be capable of coming back with something decent. I don't believe that could be said about Paul WS Anderson and Uwe Boll. Boll is bad in the Ed Wood tradition, his movies are all blatantly awful, but Paul WS Anderson is guilty of something far worse: mediocrety. His films don't have that little hint of talent like with someone like Bay or Brett Ratner and they aren't hilariously bad like Boll's films, they are just tedious.

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
They must make this version rated R or I will not see it.
They need to go back to a mix of the original Predator and the Aliens movies. It needs to happen in the far future like Aliens, in space.

Lance

John Doran

Screenwriter
i'd be all over a sequel if it was a sequel in name only, and they started again and made a movie that was a faithful translation into film of the original aliens vs. predator comic.

it'll never happen, but i'm just sayin'.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Does that mean it should just be thrown together and done shabily? Does that mean they shouldnt try to make a better movie than the last one?
There's lots of room for improvement here.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I wouldn't put Anderson in the Boll category either. I mean, I'll still watch Mortal Kombat or AVP again sometime. I can't say that I'll ever even see another Boll film.

And I never liked the argument that we shouldn't expect these movies to be more than "what they are." I mean, compare "Predator" to "AVP." While neither are Oscar-worthy, there is an obvious drop in quality in many people's eyes. Even more so with the "Alien" side of the equation. "AVP" could have been so much more than what it was, which is something I won't say about "Freddy vs. Jason." I know a lot of people said that could have brought more to the genre, but honestly, the script they went with was FAR, FAR better than any script they rejected. It was just the most believable way to bring those two franchises together. On the other hand, there have been other incarnations of AVP that show how much better a film could have been. All my opinion of course, but I really hope they try to do more with the sequel.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yes, please...Boll is so bad, he's in his own category. His movies have no replay value whatsoever. Anderson is definately a step above. I can definately watch his movies a bunch of times. They're entertaining. Boll's are just painful.

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the original AvP last night. I didn't hate it, but my expectations may have been tempered to the point where I couldn't hate it.

I was hoping for another Freddy vs. Jason (a match up a lot of fans wanted, a great concept and a competent director). Fox got the first one right.

I will say that Anderson seems to be getting better with each movie he makes. Resident Evil was such a mess that it made very little sense scene to scene.

If Fox makes the sequel R-rated (doubtful) and calls it "Predators Kill Aliens" then they will have guaranteed my $7.50 regardless of how bad the final product is.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Boll is worse than Anderson, yes, but both are responsible for ruining or potentially ruining franchises. Like I said several times before, my list was merely the worst directors in terms of not having a single good piece of work in my opinion. That's all. So my list still stands.

But it could be argued that Boll is not even trying to make a movie, but taking advantage of that tax loophole for a quick proffit. Not that I am saying that at all so do NOT accuse me of supporting or justifying him. Anderson on the other hand IS obviously trying...and continously failing. AvP the CONCEPT is a LOTR type story in that it wouldn't take much to make a great and/or popular movie around it. The fanbase is already built in and the material is already there!

If you're referring to the Aliens and/or Predator movies, then I totally, absolutely, completely disagree with you, as would anyone else involved with those movies I am sure.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

I agree with that statement, but only if you're talking about stuff like "Dark Castle" films. (I own 'em all and love the campy cheese-laden fun.)

Alien & Predator... I totally disagree. Meant to be enjoyed? Certainly! Campy... er... no. They shouldn't be. Certainly not the Alien franchise anyway. Predator could be viewed more in that vein I suppose...

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Not much to do with "Alien Vs. Predator 2" but I thought that this interview with James Cameron was pretty interesting. He actually LIKED "Alien Vs. Predator". AND wanted to make "Alien 5" with Ridley Scott until Fox wanted to go ahead with AVP.

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=22405

QUINT: I remember before Paul W.S. Anderson did ALIEN VS PREDATOR it came out that you kind of made an offer to do another ALIEN film with Ridley Scott...

JAMES CAMERON: Yeah. Ridley and I talked about doing another ALIEN film and I said to 20th Century Fox that I would develop a 5th ALIEN film. I started working on a story, I was working with another writer and Fox came back to me and said, "We've got this really good script for ALIEN VS PREDATOR and I got pretty upset. I said, "You do that you're going to kill the validity of the franchise in my mind." Because to me, that was FRANKENSTEIN MEETS WEREWOLF. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other.

QUINT: Milking it, totally.

JAMES CAMERON: Milking it. So, I stopped work. Then I saw ALIEN VS PREDATOR and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 ALIEN films, I'd rate it 3rd.

QUINT: Ummm...

JAMES CAMERON: I actually liked it. I actually liked it a lot.

QUINT: You know, I hate it when movies don't abide by the continuity of their series...

JAMES CAMERON: When they make up their own rules.

QUINT: Exactly. They did that a lot with the alien incubation time, where from egg to chestbuster it happened...

JAMES CAMERON: In minutes, yeah...

QUINT: That kind of stuff really pissed me off with the movie...

JAMES CAMERON: Well, it starts to become a video game. It's like, "Okay, that can be in him and that can show up over here..." It becomes more metaphorical or more comic book. I don't mean comic book in a negative way, I just mean that it's working at a kind of mythic, metaphoric level as opposed to really trying to immerse you in reality.
I mean, I felt when I was making ALIENS I think the same thing Ridley was doing with ALIEN, which is... "I'm going to make you think this is real." Even though it is completely ridiculous deep space adventure. We were going to make you feel like it's real. It's a question of does the film take itself seriously or not.

KRAKEN: So you still thinking about doing something with it?

JAMES CAMERON: No.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Cameron also liked "Terminator 3", another film that many fans felt was a massive disappointment compared to his earlier films.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You wouldn't know that a majority of Terminator fans hated 'T3' from it's official review thread here in the forum, Bill, I read it just for fun a couple of months ago and was quite surprised that a majority of the one's who posted in it liked it.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

I will never understand the utter hate some people have for The Rock.

I found that movie to not only be entertaining but to have a solid story, great acting from Harris, Cage and Connery and yes, even well done direction from Bay.

Andy

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I was shocked to see that Cameron liked AvP. Maybe he was being sarcastic? I doubt it though.

Andy, I haven't seen The Rock. If you look at my statement that you quoted, you'll see the key words "that I've seen". I may even like that film. Even if I do, it won't change my opinion of Bay very much since everything else of his that I've seen I have NOT enjoyed in the least. So he'll still have a bad track record from me.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"Terminator 3" hasn't experienced the universal contempt from moviegoers like "AvP" experienced, so it doesn't surprise me that it would seem like most people liked it on a forum dealing with a more general section of filmgoers. It's pretty common to see die-hard fans of the first two films complaining about the awful jokes ("TALK TO DA HAND!") the many continuity discrepencies (the timeline dealing with John Connor's age, his nightmares involving things he never saw in life, like intact endoskeletons) and questionable character choices (John Connor not understanding that this was a new Terminator, Dr. Silberling reduced to a bumbling idiot, and the underwhelming death of Sarah Connor that occured between films) but you have to dig a little deeper to find them. "Terminator 3" managed to entertain and satisfy a significant portion of those with a casual interest in the franchise, which can't be said about "AvP", but neither film satisfied it's fanbase, and I'm absolutely shocked that James Cameron liked them both. Personally, I thought "T3" was pretty much a rehash of "T2". I definitely think that the first two films did all that could be done with the "Terminators going back in time" idea and a "Future War" film would have been the most obvious setting for another "Terminator" film but I guess Warner Bros. just wanted to get Arnie to say more wise-crackin' one-liners while protecting John Connor again.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I remember that Cameron very much disliked "Alien3" because of how they killed off Newt and Hicks at the beginning of the film which could explain why he considers AVP the 3rd best after the first two.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, I really enjoyed T3, but severely let down by AVP. Both have flaws, but the latter flim's are much more glaring. T3 really had a solid story with interesting characters. AVP's story was okay, but it felt so thin and uninteresting when watching it unfold on the screen.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I was very, very underwhelmed by "T3" but it doesn't evoke the kind of bitterness that "AvP" does. I probably would have been satisfied with an "AvP" film of the quality of "Terminator 3". "Terminator 3" may be four or five times better than "AvP" but "The Terminator" and "Terminator 2" are four or five times better than "Terminator 3".

That was a bad call but it was made by the highers-up, not the artists behind the movie. All things considered, David Fincher delivered a pretty damn good movie, even if he wouldn't admit it himself. You would think that Cameron would be able to appreciate the film's merits as opposed to getting hung up on little fanboy bitch-points but I guess he's still upset that his characters were killed. It's funny, he didn't seem to mind that Mostow killed Sarah Connor off in "Terminator 3", but maybe he resents that character for obvious personal reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks